Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
CAW extending talks with GM, Chrysler...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ine-looms.html

The Canadian Auto Workers union says it will continue negotiating with GM and Chrysler past the midnight strike deadline, averting a labour walkout for now.

The union, which hours earlier struck a tentative deal with Ford Motor Co., said it will keep talking with the remaining automakers as long as progress is being made.

But it also said that if talks stall, it will issue a 24-hour strike notice.

Earlier, CAW head Ken Lewenza warned that the union would ask Chrysler and GM to accept the Ford deal as a pattern settlement, otherwise "we will have to withdraw our labour."

"That is the last tool in the bargaining toolbox," he said. "The minute we go out on strike, I'm going to be able to look you in the eye and say we had no choice."

"So I say to Chrysler and General Motors respectively; don't force us to use that last tool."

Ford employs 4,534 unionized workers in Canada. Chrysler and GM employ more than 8,000 unionized workers each. Neither General Motors of Chrysler would comment on the deal with Ford.

Negotiations between the Big Three North American automakers and their Canadian workers have been under the gun, as a midnight deadline to reach a deal nears. The CAW had said its strategy was to focus its energies on negotiations with Ford before trying to make a similar deal with the other companies.

"We have unanimously agreed to take to our membership a tentative collective agreement that we believe meets the objective of our unions. of course, meets the needs, the objective of our membership but just as important, meets the objectives of Ford Motor Company in terms of their position for future investment which, as we all know, are challenging times in the auto industry," Lewenza said.

The four-year agreement will see no base wage increases. But if the deal is approved, employees would be eligible for a $3,000 bonus after ratification. As well, in December 2013, 2014, 2015, employees would receive a $2,000 cost-of-living bonus.

Lewenza also said that Ford will create approximately 600 new positions in Canada, most of those at Ford's Oakville, Ont., assembly plant.

A Ford Canada spokeswoman said Monday that the agreement will help the company remain competitive, but declined to provide additional details as the deal still has to be ratified by CAW members.

"We believe that the tentative agreement offers unique-to-Canada solutions that will improve the competitiveness of the Canadian operations while providing employees the opportunity to earn a good living," said
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
That's what they get for putting it in Canada!

This is the first I've even heard of any kind of strike. What are they asking for? Nevermind, I'm sure it's money.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post

This is the first I've even heard of any kind of strike. What are they asking for? Nevermind, I'm sure it's money.
Oh I didn't know they don't strike in the USA.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Interesting, the UAW owns a good chunk of GM now, so they can strike against themselves?
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post

Yeah, god forbid that the worker get their fair share.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I don't know the straight facts and that's my fault, but I truly don't care about the facts. I do not like the fact that an American car is made in another country, even Canada. I hate picking up EVERYTHING in American stores and seeing some other country on the sticker! This is just another bad move, IMO. I saw the GM plant where I live close last month so this serves them right in my book. Strike away!

Taking it personal is on you. I dislike all other countries equally, I'm an American!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
Yeah, god forbid that the worker get their fair share.
It's a fine line between workers getting their fair share and companies being able to stay profitable. I believe that GM is mainly not trying to repeat the steps that got them into trouble in the first place. You could double what someone makes overnight ,and they would still find something to complain about. I have no problem with union labor in my business because I can blow them out of the water on price and provide just as good if not better work. They try to even it up on government jobs with prevailing wage ,but that just means my men make a little more and cost governments more money for the same work. What's wrong with that picture?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Beer Thirty
5:30 somewhere

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
I wonder how much cheaper a car would be if there was no unions.
Beer Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Thirty View Post
That's the really funny thing. They wouldn't be any cheaper unless the market forced them to be.

Last edited by motorhead; 09-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Thirty View Post
Zero

Sent from my Galaxy Note
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote