Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
danhaynes9

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2SS
Best way to sell a camaro?

So I have a few things done to my 2012 Camaro SS (exhaust, intake, suspension, and a few other things), I was wondering what would be the best way to sell the car to get the most out of it? If you suggest Craiglist, could you give me some tips? Thanks guys!
danhaynes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhaynes9 View Post
So I have a few things done to my 2012 Camaro SS (exhaust, intake, suspension, and a few other things), I was wondering what would be the best way to sell the car to get the most out of it? If you suggest Craiglist, could you give me some tips? Thanks guys!
You need to decide what you’re willing to let it go for. You can try word of mouth, and/or free listings on forum type social media sites. Set the terms you can live with and try to find the buyer willing to meet those. Decide if you want to leave the mods on it or remove them and go back to stock.

There is no sense paying to list it initially, though if it’s priced too high you may end up there... as for the value of the car, it’s worth what someone is willing to give you for it... might do to park it at a safe location with a for sale sign on it...

List it in the papers, though again, depending on the price, the circle of papers you use may grow before you find a buyer...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
The average buyer will not pay more due to the mods you've made, if anything they'll offer less then the current market value. If you are going to try to get a little more out of it based on your mods, you will have to wait and hope the right buyer comes along.

As far the best way to sell it, listing it on Craiglist, in your local paper, in AutoTrader and here on Camaro5 are a few good places.

Good luck
Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Carmax?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I listed a Corvette on Craigslist and gotten no response, but sold a $2000 junker in minutes. Craigslist is the wrong audience.

Ebay is better but be prepared for scam artists. Read the cautions on Ebay, and then still, I recommend face-to-face transactions only.

Go to a branch of the buyer's bank and have a bank check issued in your presence. If that can't be arranged, arrange for another buyer.

A friend sold his Mustang to a guy who showed up with a trailer and asked the seller to drive it onto the trailer. "No thanks," said my friend. "It's your car now and you are responsible for any damage loading it." Be careful. It's a jungle out there!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I listed a Corvette on Craigslist and gotten no response, but sold a $2000 junker in minutes. Craigslist is the wrong audience.

Maybe it varies by region? I've sold several Corvette's on Craigslist without issue
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Go to a local cruise and put a FS on it, more exposure the better.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
eBay and autotrader if you plan to sell yourself. If you have the old stock parts, put them back on and sell your mods on here or eBay.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I would list on craigslist and start a little high and be patient. A good solid buyer is worth taking $1K-2K less than you want to let it go for. Trading in or selling at CarMax, they will give you $5K less than you will sell privately on a $20K car. Good Luck
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
This may get a little long, but bought and sold too many cars and helped others. I think selling is a bit of an art.

First, actually clean the car up(too many dont do this). Post too many pictures, not just glamour shots either. Real pictures showing every side of the car, interior, engine bay and I try to get some undercarriage. HD walk around videos are great. Show mileage in video, show it running, show no CEL, cold and warm running. Show you actually take care of and pride in the car. Post blemishes in a list and photos. Easier to host these with a link and post a few in the actual ad. Sites like CL downgrade the quality anyway.

Post too much info too. Options, mods, history, anything you know about the car. I try to list so much info there are no surprises and nothing to talk about really except some haggling. Trust me this will help so much if your willing to sit on the car a bit to get your price. You wont be answering a 1000 questions by text/email.

I always post on craigslist(better for lower priced cars but still good buyers there too), Facebook LS groups, any forum where it is relevant(camaro5, ls1tech), I would do Nextdoor probably too just to get a super local audience. One more thing is remember to bump your ads, I have had so many pages of bumps on tech back in the day, but eventually right buyer saw it and I got my price.

Last bit of advice, everyone likes to haggle so I usually list a little high but not so high someone wouldnt even contact me. Dont want to list too low either. If you think you over shot you can always drop, cant really go up or at least looks odd.

Hope that helps!

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
This may get a little long, but bought and sold too many cars and helped others. I think selling is a bit of an art.

First, actually clean the car up(too many dont do this). Post too many pictures, not just glamour shots either. Real pictures showing every side of the car, interior, engine bay and I try to get some undercarriage. HD walk around videos are great. Show mileage in video, show it running, show no CEL, cold and warm running. Show you actually take care of and pride in the car. Post blemishes in a list and photos. Easier to host these with a link and post a few in the actual ad. Sites like CL downgrade the quality anyway.

Post too much info too. Options, mods, history, anything you know about the car. I try to list so much info there are no surprises and nothing to talk about really except some haggling. Trust me this will help so much if your willing to sit on the car a bit to get your price. You wont be answering a 1000 questions by text/email.

I always post on craigslist(better for lower priced cars but still good buyers there too), Facebook LS groups, any forum where it is relevant(camaro5, ls1tech), I would do Nextdoor probably too just to get a super local audience. One more thing is remember to bump your ads, I have had so many pages of bumps on tech back in the day, but eventually right buyer saw it and I got my price.

Last bit of advice, everyone likes to haggle so I usually list a little high but not so high someone wouldnt even contact me. Dont want to list too low either. If you think you over shot you can always drop, cant really go up or at least looks odd.

Hope that helps!
That’s great advice - just out of curiosity how come you don’t recommend listing on AutoTrader as well, is it expensive? Reason I ask is it’s pretty much the only place I look online for cars, although sometimes I’ll check out eBay too. I never look at Craigslist - I don’t want to run into the craigslist killer
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
I would list on craigslist and start a little high and be patient. A good solid buyer is worth taking $1K-2K less than you want to let it go for. Trading in or selling at CarMax, they will give you $5K less than you will sell privately on a $20K car. Good Luck
I see the same cars (5th gen Camaros) listed on my local craigslist for months and months, even ones I would think could sell quickly due to their low price. However, they just don't seem to be selling.

At least with Carmax, they'll give you a price even though it will be a low ball offer.

It's funny when you think about it. When poeple are selling something, their stuff is worth a mint. When people are buying something, they want it for a discount steal of a price. lol!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Also try offer up
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
When I am browsing at cars for sale, I like to see ads with a lot of pictures. A lot of exterior, interior, engine bay, trunk, back seats. The more the better.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote