Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2024, 08:16 AM   #1
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Still Getting the Key Recall Notices. I finally Responded.

Old story, old news, I know. Now, along with the cards I get every couple of months, they are now emailing me, which is new. I responded this morning with:

"Please stop sending me these notices. I refuse to allow to be dumbed down because one rocket scientist decided this was an issue.
Besides, one would need to be doing aerial acrobatics or having sex behind the steering wheel to bump the key in the manner you describe.

No matter how many times you email or send those silly cards out, I am NOT giving up my key.

With Kind Regards."

Juvenile, I know...but dang they need to just let it go.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
It's probably some automated system doing it. No one will ever see your frustration!
Old 09-09-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
DRC69

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
I get them also. Funny stuff.
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 02:40 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Mine was already converted to a normal key when I bought my car. I swiftly converted it back to a switchblade key fob and haven't had an issue since.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 05:46 PM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I signed a paper at the dealer years ago declining the recall. I still get the email. It'll never stop until you get it done.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:56 PM   #6
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
It's probably some automated system doing it. No one will ever see your frustration!
ARGH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC69 View Post
I get them also. Funny stuff.
Like SlowLS1 mentioned, it's probably automated, but I still had fun with my venting. Grin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Mine was already converted to a normal key when I bought my car. I swiftly converted it back to a switchblade key fob and haven't had an issue since.
Yeah, I was going to do that with the black car, but now that I'm selling it, I'll let the new owner worry about it. It came with two sets and both of them had been converted by the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I signed a paper at the dealer years ago declining the recall. I still get the email. It'll never stop until you get it done.
Interesting. I was never offered the option on the white Camaro. But that doesn't surprise me. I bought it off a BMW lot and the sales lady literally, did not know what the car even looked like. I had to point it out.
Old 09-12-2024, 05:59 AM   #7
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I called GM a few years back on this issue. They told me that they are legally required to send them (The notices are mailed to me) until I get the keys switched-out. I ended the call by saying, "I guess we'll be pen-pals".

My wife gets notices for the air-bag in her Traverse that could kill her. She went the dealer and they told her that there was no fix for it yet. So she asked them to disable the air-bag. Of course they refused. I try to explain that she is more likely to be saved by that air-bag then killed by it, but I can't convince her. It's an on-going struggle.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 07:02 AM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I still get them periodically for both cars. I even went as far as getting extra fobs for them to do their conversion with, and still just use the switchblade keys, but the dealership wasn't even interested in doing them. Cool. So I just got two more blades cut now I got 2 extra switchblade keys for the cars.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 08:25 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I've been getting these recall notices BS again since I moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Palm Coast almost 6 years ago. In Fort Lauderdale, I signed a waiver at the dealership when I had new switch blade keys made for my car since the old push buttons were damaged from the previous owner. Once I signed the waiver.... the notices stopped coming. Once I moved and started bringing the Camaro into a new dealership for service repair work...the recall notices started coming again. I was told they would continue to come until I gave up my switch blade keys. Crazy right??? Just because some tall AZZHAT on youtube decide to throw up a video with his knee purposely hitting the key when the vehicle was running to cause it to shut down etc... He ruined it for everyone for his 15 mins of fame. I hope bad karma came his way already or does sometime soon. There is no way in hell anyone's knee would touch the key no matter how hard you try.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 06:02 AM   #10
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
I havent received the emails in some time but started getting the post cards again. For the emails, I would always respond with something along the lines of "I would only accept push button start as a replacement for loosing the switchblade'. At one point they responded asking me to stop responding to the emails, which I didnt. lol

GPI 416 w/Custom GPI Cam, GPI Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump/DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Rossler T400 w/t-brake, Circle D Converter, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Wiles Racing Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 06:21 AM   #11
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
After I bought my '11 SS in 2022 I took it to the Chevy dealer for an oil change & inspection. They did the recall and I had no idea they dumbed down the fob by removing the switchblade altogether. I should have asked but I thought it was just the addition of the new key. Plus whoever removed the switchblade did a piss poor job of reassembly.

I bought a couple replacement fob cases on-line and had the blades cut at a locksmith for $20. Put the originals in the safe as spares.

At least I won't get letters...
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 07:57 AM   #12
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
Quote:
blades cut at a locksmith for $20
You can push-out the roll pin and switch the Key to a new fob. I've done it several times over the years.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 03:14 PM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I get the key post cards for my Camaro and the Takata air bag in my wife’s Yukon Denali, which is apparently going to embed metal in my face and kill me. I’ll get to the Yukon air bag one day. I will not get to the Camaro.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I get the key post cards for my Camaro and the Takata air bag in my wife’s Yukon Denali, which is apparently going to embed metal in my face and kill me. I’ll get to the Yukon air bag one day. I will not get to the Camaro.
My daughter and SIL both got the air bag notices when they had their pair of Challenger SRT8s. He did his but she never got around to it before they got rid of them.

Years ago, I used to velcro my phones to the centers of my steering wheels. Finally, someone pointed out the fact that if the airbag ever went off, I would probably lose half my face to glass and plastic shrapnel. I'm not a dumb guy and was very surprised at myself for not realizing that sooner. I stopped the practice immediately.