Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
More Dealership Service Mngr BS...

Was at my dealership this morning having the MyLink repaired (for the second time) and overheard a conversation between the Service Manager and another customer.

Nice looking middle-aged lady brought her 2013 Camaro in for oil/filter change & tire rotation. Service guy comes out to the waiting area and tells her it's ready, though they didn't rotate the tires. She asks him why not and he tells her "the front and rear tires are different sizes and cannot be rotated". I didn't say anything, since my car was on its second hour in their shop at the moment. Felt kind of bad for the lady though.

So I get my car and drive to Wally-World to pick up a few groceries. I see a black Camaro parked away from other cars so I park a space away in the same area. I get out and head toward the nuthouse and, low and behold, here comes the lady from the dealership (must have been Karma). She recognized me and I told her the service guy was feeding her a line, and that her tires can be rotated side to side... just not front to back. (She has the factory P-Zeros, same as mine).

"Why would he tell me he couldn't do it? I got two years of free oil changes and tire rotations as part of the deal when I bought my car from them. What should I do now?"

I hypothesized they just didn't want to do the "free" work plus, they could sell her tires sooner.

We went back to her car and I showed her the tire rotation section of her manual (specifically the "non-directional" tire rotation portion) and suggested she go back to the dealer and show it to the service manager. She said she would do that right away - she was pretty upset. I don't blame her.

I know there are many here who say "don't bother with side to side rotation" and that it doesn't extend your tire life. Well, I disagree as I have been rotating tires on my vehicles for decades and it DOES make a difference in tread life.

I hope the lady put it to 'em at the service department. Their regular service manager (who seems very good) was off today. I suspect the one that was "filling in" just took a lazy mechanic's word that the tires couldn't be rotated. They are normally very good at that dealership though.

Just thought I'd share.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Maybe he was thinking of the ZL1. The tires on the ZL1 are indeed unidirectional and the wheels are different sizes.

Nah.........
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
palmer, i used to do that on the race car and it was good for a few more runs than if they were not swaped
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Just pitiful, taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
I don't know why people are so surprised when the service department gives you BS. The bottom line is if your car has a warranty, they don't want to help you! They want you to stay away until the warranty is up so that they can put your ass through the wringer! I've had so much trouble with Chevy service departments! Once they refused to scan my car because the CEL went away! But I bet once my warranty is up they'll have no problem scanning my car no matter what happens!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
never understood why people go to dealerships for anything other than warranty or recall work.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Just pitiful, taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better.
Yeah, and I that's what it boils down to. My better half is so wary of dealer repair shops and many of the independents are not much better sometimes. She finally found a place that she totally trusts to service her Honda CRV... and it ain't the Honda place. She's been using them for a couple of years now and I kept tabs on them for the first few times she took her car there. They have been nothing but honest, helpful, and fair so far. I take my truck to Goodyear locally and have been doing so without issue for over a dozen years. I'll probably go to the wife's place though when it's time for tires.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
never understood why people go to dealerships for anything other than warranty or recall work.
Me too, but this lady has 2 years oil changes and rotations that came with her car.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'm not understanding something. And maybe it has to do with the assumption that the P-Zero is a uni-directional tire (looking at the tire itself)

Swapping the tires side-side would cause the tires to rotate opposite the recommended direction.

So the service manager was correct in saying they shouldn't and didn't rotate the tires?

Or am I thinking of a different model in the Pirelli P-Zero lineup?

Edit:: After some searching, it's that the tires are marked with "inside" and "outside". They aren't true directional tires. My mistake!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Me too, but this lady has 2 years oil changes and rotations that came with her car.

and she sure got what she paid for, didn't she. I never indulge myself in "free" stuff. it's never worth it.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I'm not understanding something. And maybe it has to do with the assumption that the P-Zero is a uni-directional tire (looking at the tire itself)

Swapping the tires side-side would cause the tires to rotate opposite the recommended direction.

So the service manager was correct in saying they shouldn't and didn't rotate the tires?

Edit:: After some searching, it's that the tires are marked with "inside" and "outside". They aren't true directional tires. My mistake!
Correct. Even though the tread pattern differs from one side of the tire to the other, they are not "directional" tires. If the were, they would have an arrow on the sidewall and rotating them would NOT be recommended. The standard factory P-Zeros only specify "outside" on the sidewall and can be on either side. Rotation IS recommended in the owner's manual.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Don't be so quick to judge. The 2010 manual says no rotation for the SS.

Later, GM changed their mind.

So, the service manager needs to be educated, but not necessarily accused of ripping off customers.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

P-Zeros are NOT unidirectional. Take another look. Unidirectional tires are clearly labeled with a direction arrow, whereas P-Zeros are labeled only inside/outside.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. The 2010 manual says no rotation for the SS.

Later, GM changed their mind.

So, the service manager needs to be educated, but not necessarily accused of ripping off customers.
So if it was a 2010 1LT/RS, they did recommend rotation? I believe you, but that makes no sense.

This customer's car was a 2013 2LT/RS. Education may be lacking, that's true. Regardless... I think this lady will give him an education pretty quick. She was just a bit upset and was heading back to the dealership.