Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Porter Cable Opinions

I just got a '13 2SS in blue ray metallic, the dealership had the car for several months and has been running it through their carwash so it has swirls and very minor surface imperfections. I already have a Porter Cable 7424 but on the Adams webpage they recommend not using that on cars with dark colors. I don't really want to buy another polisher, what are your experiences with the Porter Cable on dark paint finsishes?

Thanks,

Cady
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have a 2010 rjt ss and I use the PC without any problems. I use meguiars m105 and m205 to polish almost every spring.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I'm restoring the paint on my used black SS with one and I'm achieving near perfect results. I've never heard Adam's not recommend it on a black car, they use it on a black car in their tutorials.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

I have been using the Adams products for a couple of years now. I was watching their videos the other day and they said you could not achieve "perfect" results on dark colors with the PC. However since they no longer sell the PC this could be more marketing than anything. That is why I wanted to hear from people that have been using the PC on dark color cars. So far I have only used mine on synergy green and that color hides stuff very well.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Good_Times

Drives: red
The da you use doesn't know what the color of the paint is. That has to be the lamest idea I have ever heard hands down. The pc you have will do fine on dark colors. Don't limit yourself to a single brand of compounds , pads and polishes. Try trading samples of products with friends and other forum members. This gives you unlimited choices without buying a ton of stuff you may not need or want. Here is a link for a service that you may want to consider. I'm not knocking Adams but decide for yourself if there is something else you may want to try.
http://www.thedetailbox.com/
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Anyone who says the PC doesn't work on dark colors as well as any others is just spouting bs. Paint is paint, and it doesn't matter the color since they are all clear coated anyways.

Can you link to that page that says that? I have to see it to believe it. I've always liked Adams but if they truly do say this, then I would be really disappointed.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Recently Adams announced that they Will be a one polisher organization. Looks like they put all their efforts into a cyclo. Which is fine but kinda tasteless to talk down the other products when they're fully capable
Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I haven't seen anything as such regarding a PC, and my buddy has a tuxedo black metallic Ford Fusion I recently worked on and it worked wonders for the scratches that were not deep into the base material.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
I just got a '13 2SS in blue ray metallic, the dealership had the car for several months and has been running it through their carwash so it has swirls and very minor surface imperfections. I already have a Porter Cable 7424 but on the Adams webpage they recommend not using that on cars with dark colors. I don't really want to buy another polisher, what are your experiences with the Porter Cable on dark paint finsishes?

Thanks,

Cady
Lol what? Do they really say that?

In any case, here's some proof that;s not true. I did all of this with a PC:

Name:  IMG_20130627_111847 (Small).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20130627_114230 (Small).jpg
Views: 524
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20130627_165145 (Small).jpg
Views: 514
Size:  72.1 KB

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 03-02-2014 at 05:43 PM.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Speedbuggy

Drives: bad ass camaro
i corrected this with a PC...and i think it looked pretty damn good...

one more reason for me to dislike Adam's (which i know most people love adam's stuff)...

Speedbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Lol what? Do they really say that?
Adam's has never blatantly lied before, so I'm curious to see where it says that on their website. Like I said before, I have to see it to believe it.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Have had mine for years, works great......you need to use right products which also includes the correct pads.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

I didn't start this as a thread to bash Adams, I like and will continue to use their stuff. I also love their company policy of supporting products made in the USA.

On their website, videos, Adams Guide to Machine Polishing - Chapter 1, at the 11:20 mark is where Adam is saying he does not recommend using the PC on cars with dark color finishes. That is why I asked the question, is this mostly marketing? Probably but it is not enough to turn me away from the Adams products. I also like Dillon personally coming to C5fest last year to demo products and answer questions. I will continue to support Adams products!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
I didn't start this as a thread to bash Adams, I like and will continue to use their stuff. I also love their company policy of supporting products made in the USA.

On their website, videos, Adams Guide to Machine Polishing - Chapter 1, at the 11:20 mark is where Adam is saying he does not recommend using the PC on cars with dark color finishes. That is why I asked the question, is this mostly marketing? Probably but it is not enough to turn me away from the Adams products. I also like Dillon personally coming to C5fest last year to demo products and answer questions. I will continue to support Adams products!
Dylan doesn't work for Adam's anymore. Massive loss for them.

And if they're flat out lying in their vids, Idk what to think anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2