Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
matts86cam

Drives: 1986 z28 and 2015 ss
Wrapping and coating cheap headers

So the last set of headers I purchased were for a third gen. I bought the cheapest set out there and then wrapped them and coated the wrapping with black aerosol silicon or something of the sort. When the engine was at full temp, I could literally grab ahold of the headers and hold my hand there for a few seconds. It seems the price points always come down to ceramic coating and stainless or not. For performance, wouldnt a cheap set of headers as I described above be just as good as the top dollar ones? Assuming the size is the same?
matts86cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Drillteamleader

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Performance wise yes, if they are built the same. One thing people dont think about is rust. If you dont buy stainless, the rust is going to happen. Any rust inside the header can and will get sucked back into the cylinders if you have any overlap with the cam you have. That rust will wear the cylinders and rings. Ultimatly, it is your call, but speed engineering headers for the 5th gen are cheap, fit great, and perform as good as any as far as i know.
Drillteamleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I would say this topic is one of the most discussed topics of all. Some casual reading in this forum should answer all your questions.
In my 55 years of existence on this planet, I have discovered a few things. One of them being....headers have been around for decades. A few things have changed...but for the most part...the principal is the same. Even a set of cheap Hooker headers will most likely outlast you car. It's up to you whether you want to brag on owning a pair of $1500 BIG BRAND (it must be best because its so expensive) or the guy/gal who does their research and learns the performance difference is null and money doesn't grow on trees.
Now I will have another beer and retire to my den of iniquity and endless episodes of South Park and Ren & Stimpy.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
matts86cam

Not sure if you can even buy headers that arent stainless anymore but I was thinking of looking into it. The headers on my 86 camaro have been on there 10 years now with no rust at all. Im assuming because of the wrap and spray. I already emailed the speed engineering website to make sure fitment was good for the 15ss. Their site says 10-14. Im not too familiar with this generation of awesomeness yet so I need to be sure before I buy them. Was hoping to save a few bucks by not buying stainless though.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There are some pretty inexpensive stainless. I love my OBX. They fit perfectly...easy to install. Had em for 4yrs now.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I would say this topic is one of the most discussed topics of all. Some casual reading in this forum should answer all your questions.
In my 55 years of existence on this planet, I have discovered a few things. One of them being....headers have been around for decades. A few things have changed...but for the most part...the principal is the same. Even a set of cheap Hooker headers will most likely outlast you car. It's up to you whether you want to brag on owning a pair of $1500 BIG BRAND (it must be best because its so expensive) or the guy/gal who does their research and learns the performance difference is null and money doesn't grow on trees.
Now I will have another beer and retire to my den of iniquity and endless episodes of South Park and Ren & Stimpy.
^Best thing you'll read on this forum today, most likely

OP, These are a forum favorite: https://www.speed-engineering.com/sp...stainless.html

If you're expecting to pay less than that, I've got nothing to say to you
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I did the Speed Engineering Headers Recently and the fitment was great. For $370 with new GM Gaskets, O2 sensor extensions and off road connection pipes they worked out really well. Quality seemed very good too. I would buy them again and they look just like Krooks at 1/3rd the Price !!!
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Garbage from China will rust.
Quality 304 US stainless will not.

Let your budget and desire for rust or not be your guide. Personally I avoid Chinese or Taiwanese garbage like the plague.

It's no different that tools. A high quality Matco, Snap on.... will outlive your grandkids. A cheap POS Chinese/Taiwanese tool will snap the first time it sees a real load.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Speed Engineering headers here, also got them coated. No complaints, but I did have to massage one primary a little so it won't hit the steering column. Otherwise they are great, the folks who did the coating said they were very high quality. Their eyes popped when I told them the price lol

Here's what they looked like before they were installed:

Mine are pretty scratched after the install but the coating isn't peeling. In fact, in one spot where it was peeling a little it looks to have melted back onto the header.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 06-16-2017 at 08:49 AM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
matts86cam

Just pulled the trigger on a 200 dollar set of (returned/used) uncoated steel pacesetters (long tube) from amazon. Yeah Im probably the biggest cheapskate on here. I'll wrap right over the black shipping paint then coat the header wrap with some rattle can magic. No problems with my old shortie headers on the 86 z28 from the same method. If they rust away in a year, I'll fess up.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
matts86cam

And of course I get home today expecting to see the headers and.... nothing. Apparently they were marked un-deliverable by ups and returned to Amazon. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Im ordering the 1 7/8 speed eng. headers in the link provided by Gunmetal Speedster. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts86cam View Post
And of course I get home today expecting to see the headers and.... nothing. Apparently they were marked un-deliverable by ups and returned to Amazon. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Im ordering the 1 7/8 speed eng. headers in the link provided by Gunmetal Speedster. Thanks for the info.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote