Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Suspension question

I'd like to lower the front of my 2013 SS by 1" - I see BMR do the appropriate springs (and I already have BMR gear underpinning my rear -end and am pleased with it) Is it just a matter of changing them out or do I need to have some re-alignment done? Does it affect Castor angle or anything like that? Thanks in advance guys. Ed.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Yes.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I used to think I wanted to lower mine until I just barely cleared a parking lot curb stone two times in two different lots the other day. Even when backing in the second time, I just barely cleared the trash cans.

I'm now thinking twice about lowerng my car.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
You just want to lower the front? Not the whole car?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Yes.

If you don't it'll be all squirly.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Just lowered mine not too long ago. Drove it about 100-150 miles before alignment to let the springs “settle”. I asked the alignment shop if it was out bad and they said not real bad but if definitely needed an alignment. Hope this helps.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #7
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Thanks for the replies guys. I only want to drop the front; I like the slightly raked stance. Might invest - I just need to check the ground clearance of my Noweeds and long tubes but for $150 (ex-BMR ) I think I may give it a go. Cheers, Ed
Old 04-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I only want to drop the front; I like the slightly raked stance. Might invest - I just need to check the ground clearance of my Noweeds and long tubes but for $150 (ex-BMR ) I think I may give it a go. Cheers, Ed
I was lowered with Pfadt drop springs, along with long tubes and cutouts, no issues with it. But you do have to pay close attention to some parking lot entrances and driveway inclines because the front will scrap a little.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Yes you'll need a new alignment. I have BMR 1" lowering springs on all 4 corners and I only drug my long tubes once on an insanely steep angled driveway drop. Wanted to cry for the rest of the day, but they appear to be fine still.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

I hear you Pyroguy & hrpii - ramp angles are not such an issue in the UK; I've always been amazed how steeply the driveways of US houses rise up from street level - seems to be common in all states I've visited. Maybe highway laws are different here in the motherland - ours are nearly always at a reasonably shallow angle.
Thanks, Ed.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
I like the raked stance too. I have also thought about lowering only the front but would rather raise the rear and leave the front at the stock height. Unfortunately there is not option for this.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We also encourage a drop. GM just leaves to much wheel gap on their cars and it really gives it the stance it needs. Yes you have to be a little more careful pulling into parking lots and spots but you should be anyway if you like your car. When you're ready we have great pricing on a bunch of options to get low. We do installs to for the local guys.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I put 1.4" BMR drop springs on all four wheels. I love the way it looks but the ride got harsh. Yes you will need to re-adjust suspension or else wheels could rub on fenders. My tire guy put the springs in and adjusted suspension for $350, I bought the springs separately.

You will need to be very careful on speed bumps and pulling into and out of driveways. I pulled into a hardware store and thought i lost my muffler on a concrete hump. When I got out of the car i looked underneath to check for damage. One of the hardware store employees asked if I lost something, not knowing I was checking for damage. I r told him that I thought i part of my exhaust system. He looked puzzled.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I too have the BMR 1.4" springs. Perfect stance if you ask me. It is low, but it is not extreme to the point that it makes the car too much of a pain to drive. I have long tubes, and a full 3" exhaust...no clearance issues or bottoming out in that department.
Alignment is an absolute must.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote