Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
dwaynemartins

Drives: Camaro V6
2011 v6 LS - cooling system issue

I've done a plethora of repairs, belt, water pump, new water pump gasket, serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, cap... most recently when I replaced the water pump with a metal gasket to ensure no leaks I ran the system open and the thermostat never opened... the upper hose got hot and the bottom hose stayed cold even when water is boiling out of the radiator hole and car is ahowing 210 degrees.. no visual flow of fluid in the radiator hole.. I'm convinced I finally found my problem.

Does anyone else have anything they think I should try before calling in the towel? I don't think I'm up to replacing the thermostat myself due to the location so can anyone recommend a quality knowledgeable camaro shop in Central Florida? (Near UCF would be ideal)

Thanks!
dwaynemartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
So you believe the thermostat is shot or the radiator us plugged up?
Old 04-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
dwaynemartins

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
So you believe the thermostat is shot or the radiator us plugged up?
Honestly I don't know anymore. I took it for a drive, it was super low, I filled it up, then took it for another drive and now it seems like both the top and bottom hoses are hot as hell again. I did that a few times and every time I open it after it cools down it seems low, not even to the neck.... how long does it take to burp the system?
dwaynemartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemartins View Post
Honestly I don't know anymore. I took it for a drive, it was super low, I filled it up, then took it for another drive and now it seems like both the top and bottom hoses are hot as hell again. I did that a few times and every time I open it after it cools down it seems low, not even to the neck.... how long does it take to burp the system?
Well now that both hoses got hot (suggesting that the thermostat is working), I would wait for cool down, then run the engine with the cap off until you're back up to operating temp. Then add coolant as required.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote