Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2024, 01:54 PM   #1
ffas23

Drives: 2011 Camaro Hardtop
Registering my 2011 Camaro as a Collector Car

Back in December of 2010 I purchased my wife a 2011 Camaro and surprised her with it for Christmas. Long story short without getting into too much detail the Car since then sits mostly in my Morton Pole Barn with my small collection of other Collector Cars. I am a member of the Corvette Museum in Kentucky and through them I insure my Cars. Being we weren't driving the 2011 Camaro much after a few years I asked if I could add the 2011 Camaro to my Collector Car Policy with my other cars they also insure. They gave me the OK. I decided that I am getting tired of having to bring it to New Jersey Car Inspection during the Winter time in December when it is required. Being this car is still rather young compared to my 25 year and over cars it has required inspection. I want to register it as a collector car in New Jersey which doesn't require inspection. I filled out the necessary information online that I will be mailing in but they are also asking me to ***Include a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization confirming the vehicle’s limited production status.*** Where am I suppose to get something like this from? I would think a copy of my Collector Car Insurance Policy and 501 miles on the car at present would serve as proof of Collector Car Status. Any ideas what I should do?
ffas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:49 PM   #2
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Wow I didn't have to go through all of that down here in Florida to insure my 2010 as a collector. I currently have 101k miles on the Camaro and I am not a member of any car club whatsoever. I went through Modern American and we have an agreed value of $25k. All I had to do was take pics of the car inside and out, take pics of the mileage and a pic of the car in my garage. I'm covered with an allowable mileage of 3k miles per year and have been insured with them for 4 years now. Looks like the State of NJ does things differently? Also, I had to show proof of insurance for my daily driver.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:23 PM   #3
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I have American Collectors Insurance (Haggerty was a rip off) and it was extremely easy in Pennsylvania.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:32 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
So on average, what does having Collector insurance save you at 3K miles / year over traditional insurance?
Old 05-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #5
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
So on average, what does having Collector insurance save you at 3K miles / year over traditional insurance?
That’s a good question because i pay hardly anything for my zl1 a year. $400 with full coverage.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 05:12 PM   #6
SummitWhite11

Quote:

Here in Florida we have the highest rate for insurance in the country especially when it comes to insurance fraud and stupid drivers that everyone else has to suffer for even with a "safe driver" license. I am currently paying $960 every 6 months for two DD vehicles for both my wife and I and we have a CLEAN driving record. We are both 47 years old with excellent credit. With my 2010 Camaro, it would cost me another $800 per 6 months where as I only pay $500 for one year for the Camaro through Collectors Insurance. We keep changing insurance for our DD because they keep racking up the insurance premium and we have to keep searching for another at a reduced cost. It's total BS. In all actuality, insurance no matter what kind you go with, life, home, health or auto whatever... it is a TOTAL SCAM money making business.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:46 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I (reluctantly) live in CA and yes, they are now flying drones over your property to find the tiniest 'violation' to cancel your homeowners. Or, just flat out cancel you anyway. USAA canceled my H.O's and then had the gall to send me a letter with an auto rate increase because -I- quit bundling. Idiots. Then took me back.

Then, we have the," California Fair Plan" that people pay 5x for. Hardy har...I live in fire country so I'm waiting for that shoe to drop again.

I only drive the Camaro about 3-4K miles a year. But I easily pay $1500-2000 a year for it to sit. With a spotless record and almost 68 years old. Might look into the collector thing.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
SummitWhite11

Quote:
I (reluctantly) live in CA and yes, they are now flying drones over your property to find the tiniest 'violation' to cancel your homeowners. Or, just flat out cancel you anyway. USAA canceled my H.O's and then had the gall to send me a letter with an auto rate increase because -I- quit bundling. Idiots. Then took me back.

Then, we have the," California Fair Plan" that people pay 5x for. Hardy har...I live in fire country so I'm waiting for that shoe to drop again.

I only drive the Camaro about 3-4K miles a year. But I easily pay $1500-2000 a year for it to sit. With a spotless record and almost 68 years old. Might look into the collector thing.

That is Effing crazy! I would have shot down those said droves in my yard and tell em to go F themselves for trespassing. That should be illegal but since it is California... that says enough. No offense though. Good grief! Talk about crossing the line!

Old 05-27-2024, 10:42 PM   #9
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Collectors insurance allows you to get an agreed upon value if you suffer a total loss. Normal insurance isn’t giving me anywhere near what I have in my car if some jackass rear ends me at a light.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:17 AM   #10
2010sgm

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
he is trying to register it that is different as most states requite it to be 25 years old. not sure where you would get that info as i know I'm stuck until it hits 25 years old here in va....i have it on Grundy collector car insurance with a 20k value but registration is standard and requires yearly inspections
Old 05-28-2024, 06:13 AM   #11
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Hagerty has been great for me, I called American collectors and they were a little more but seemed to be a bit more strict on what I was allowed to do. I have an agreed upon amount , Which I may up a little.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:49 AM   #12
ffas23

Maybe my Post is not clear enough I will have to reread it. I am not looking to register my car it is already since 2011 or am I trying to buy Insurance on it at all. NCM The National Corvette Museum insures it through American Modern Home Insurance Company. Their written Insurance Policy's today all go through them. No ***I am just looking to have my 2011 Camaro Classified as a Collector Car so that I will get a Special Window Sticker for the Windshield that makes the Car Except from Car Inspection***. Right now if I want to take the car out for a ride I am subject to a $200 fine in New Jersey if pulled over. So Just driving it to a Inspection station better then 10 miles away could get me a fine. It is cheaper to pay NJ $25 for a 3 year Collector Car Sticker. There is no way I can get it to a Inspection Station unless I trailer the car there and I sold my Car Trailer 2 years ago from lack of use. Not that I am worried it passes every time. They only check emissions in New Jersey and it is every 2 years. This would give me 3 years of no inspection with the new sticker and when 3 years are up I can go to the inspection station at my leisure to have them just check the mileage on the car. You see with this status I wouldn't be able to drive the car more then 3,000 miles a year. Well in 13 years we only drove it 501 miles so I don't think that is going to matter. Inspection is set up in December being that was the month I purchased it and Winter time in NJ is not a good time getting it out of storage and running down to the Inspection Station with this car that has never even been in the rain ever since I purchased it.

NJ Motor Vehicle asks that I Include a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization confirming the vehicle’s limited production status.
The Question I need answered is Quote: Where am I suppose to get something like this from? I would think a copy of my Collector Car Insurance Policy and 501 miles on the car at present would serve as proof of Collector Car Status. Any ideas what I should do?

Last edited by ffas23; 05-28-2024 at 07:03 AM. Reason: add additional info
Old 05-28-2024, 06:51 AM   #13
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
ffas23, If you took it say now to get inspected would you then be good until next May or does it always renew in Dec?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:11 AM   #14
ffas23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
ffas23, If you took it say now to get inspected would you then be good until next May or does it always renew in Dec?

It is a 2 year inspection Joe. If I went today I would be covered for inspection until December of 2025. I might of chanced the ride there to the inspection station and a possible $200 fine if I could get a May Sticker. This time of year wouldn't be a problem for me we are finally having good weather now. December and any Winter month in NJ I can't really count on. We had snow on the roads this past December for a week or so. I won't drive my own everyday cars in it if I don't have to. Still I feel for $25 for a 3 year sticker only to have to go back and confirm mileage on the car which would increase every year being I am allowed 3,000 a year so by year 3 I could of had put on 9,000 miles which I don't see happening.