Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
DarkMaro1le

Drives: Chevy Camaro ss 1le
Non ethanol for road trips??

Hey maro fam,
So i decided to try out some ethanol free from the wawa here for my trip back across the state. I know the octane level is 3pts lower but figured id try it out. So the whole 2.5hr trip car ran the same, definitely didn't feel like it was pulling an anchor like when i first got the car and it had 87. The only real difference was i gained 1mpg at 85mph. 25mpg surprised me. So i have another trip to NC this weekend and was thinking of keeping it for then. Am i just getting lucky and should go back to 93 or will this be fine for the trip?
Thanks.
DarkMaro1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Running 87, the computer may drop to the low octane table and you'll have to manually reset it to get back to 93. I say may because your sig says 93 tune. If you have a professional tune, the tuner often switches the low octane table Off. The computer then treats all gas as 93 and if you're running 87 and the computer is giving you timing, etc. for 93, damage may occur.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
DarkMaro1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
Running 87, the computer may drop to the low octane table and you'll have to manually reset it to get back to 93. I say may because your sig says 93 tune. If you have a professional tune, the tuner often switches the low octane table Off. The computer then treats all gas as 93 and if you're running 87 and the computer is giving you timing, etc. for 93, damage may occur.
Thanks for the input!
The non ethanol is 90 but ya still points off. Just was impressed with the drive home how the mpgs went up. I’m thinking I might run this tank out and go back to the 93 for the trip. I don’t want it to start knocking
Old 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Isn't the cost difference for non-ethanol more than the 1-2 mpg that you pick up?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaro1le View Post
Thanks for the input!
The non ethanol is 90 but ya still points off. Just was impressed with the drive home how the mpgs went up. I’m thinking I might run this tank out and go back to the 93 for the trip. I don’t want it to start knocking
I don't see much advantage to running the ethanol-free. They have it in my area but it's about as expensive as Premium. Yours may be cheaper tho.

You might check with your tuner to see if the low octane table is already disabled or if you need to reset for the high octane fuel table. Resetting means running 93 for a couple of tanks and then pulling two fuses under the hood. It's described here on the forum.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Ammo_Don

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
In my area ethanol free is 91 octane. Should be good to use. In my last car I had a 4 mpg boost using ethanol free vs 87. Haven't got to test the Camaro yet as I'm still on dealers gas lol
Ammo_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
ethanol is one of the biggest ripoffs perpetrated on the american public.i drove fuel tankers.the ethanol is brought to the the tank towns in tankers load after load when you figure the diesel burned to transport it and to farm the corn and the energy used to refine it......i digress. we are the only country in the world getting screwed with it.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
Ammo_Don

Exactly and it kills fuel pumps. That why I use ethanol free
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
DarkMaro1le

Well price isnt much of a factor here its cents apart and that was 1mpg at 85mph im sure if i was cruising at 70-75 it was much more because i was already doing 25mpg then.
Even around town it has picked up mpg which is pretty impressive. My only concern is as stated before it is a lower octane but as of yet it still is running strong.

I agree with ethanol is a major ripoff ive been saying that from when they started. The only real benefit is more tuning and power for a race car. I know guys that have the setup on their dailys and they are filling up 3-4x a week no thanks lol

Ammo congrats on the new ride also i hope they put 93 in yours! when i got mine it had 87 and it was pretty much in limp mode haha the gents on here helped me figure that out.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaro1le View Post
Well price isnt much of a factor here its cents apart
Don't know what part of Florida you are in, but I filled up on Non Ethanol 93 Octane on Saturday and it was about 50 cents higher than 10% Ethanol Premium
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
DarkMaro1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Don't know what part of Florida you are in, but I filled up on Non Ethanol 93 Octane on Saturday and it was about 50 cents higher than 10% Ethanol Premium
It was back in bradenton and it was 89 or 90 i cant remember and their site says both so idk haha. I havent seen a 93 non ethanol over there or where i stay in Merritt island yet.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #12
Ammo_Don

All around Wawa's in Polk county it's 91 octane non ethanol. it averages 50 cents higher than regular 87. 93 with ethanol is 60 cents higher than regular. I'm torn on which to use. I want to tune for 93 but it goes against my principals. Lol
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I did a little playing around with ethanol free over the summer just to play. I run 93 normally, our ethanol free is 91. My foot is a little heavy and I have an mpg of around 19.3 with a nearly 50/50 highway/city driving on 93 10% ethanol. Running the ethanol free I saw my mpg raise to 23.6 iirc if I kept my highway driving to 70-75, there is a sharp drop off in mpg above 75 I noticed. In hindsight I'm not sure if my mpg went up due mostly to the non-ethanol or not having as heavy of a foot because I was aware of the lower octane I was using. I didn't buy this car to pinch penny's at the pump (last car was 35mpg-ish with a heavy foot) so you can bet your ass I'd buy ethanol free if they offered it in 93 here, I am very much against ethanol in our gas at present.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote