Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Possible for the ZL1?

Low-Temp Cooling Loop

This brings us to the Hellcat's knock-out punch—the supercharger's low-temperature coolant loop. Here's a little known secret: In the boosted powerplants of most manufacturers, the rated horsepower is only valid under normal highway use for a limited period of full-throttle time. For safety's sake, once the air charge temperature elevates to levels where detonation and knock begin (such as at a race track) the engine controller limits ignition and boost to save the engine. This is called de-rating. When you see guys at the dragstrip packing their manifolds with ice before a run, they're trying to avoid de-rating the power of their engine.

With the Hellcat, the air-to-liquid intercooler operates on a low-temperature cooling circuit that is independent of the engine's cooling system. Competing powertrains operate on the same high-temp cooling loop as the rest of the engine, limiting their intercooler efficiency. By running a low-temp loop, the Hellcat's two heat exchangers—one in each bank of cylinders—can produce a much greater temperature differential. This system is so effective that the Hellcat can be driven for 20 laps on a 3.1-mile road course in 100-degree ambient heat without the engine power de-rating. (Among one of the torture tests Dodge engineers conducted was a grueling 24-hour endurance test at Nelson Ledges road course in Ohio.)

Quick question folks: Is this supercharger set up a possible swap for the ZL1? Has anybody considered anything similar. This low temp independet loop sounds like it could be the future of FI. It definitely makes more sense to run a supercharger that temps are regulated inedependent of the engine. What do you real deal car gurus think? I've seen videos and the hellcat is eating cars alive from a roll...demolished a C7 Z06 by the way. Its not too shabby from a dig either...if they can get traction.

Last edited by Faster12; 02-19-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: other info
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-709-whi...er-system.aspx

They make a twin screw for the SS and ZL1....just sayin..
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-709-whi...er-system.aspx

They make a twin screw for the SS and ZL1....just sayin..

It's not just the twin screw supercharger I was discussing...did you read my post in its entirety? Does that twin screw operate with a similar cooling system? And more importantly....has that twin screw proven to be a far better setup than what we currently have?
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Seems to be working good for these guys...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396573
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
It's not just the twin screw supercharger I was discussing...did you read my post in its entirety? Does that twin screw operate with a similar cooling system? And more importantly....has that twin screw proven to be a far better setup than what we currently have?
How is the supercharger cooling system (intercooler) different then the LSA besides having 2 heat exchangers in the SC and 2 front mount radiators?

Hellcat supercharger is clutched and will make a retro fit somewhat more difficult. (It's also Korean I believe)

The most comparable thing I know of available to us is the Heartbeat blower. (Put that is still a roots blower).

The Hellcat has higher boost, more compression, better flowing heads and a more agressive cam. The LSA boost, cam and heads are very mild in comparison.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
OP, I get your point, and it is a good one. I do not have the answer, but if I owned a ZL1, you can bet I would be finding a way to do this.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
Low-Temp Cooling Loop

This brings us to the Hellcat's knock-out punch—the supercharger's low-temperature coolant loop. Here's a little known secret: In the boosted powerplants of most manufacturers, the rated horsepower is only valid under normal highway use for a limited period of full-throttle time. For safety's sake, once the air charge temperature elevates to levels where detonation and knock begin (such as at a race track) the engine controller limits ignition and boost to save the engine. This is called de-rating. When you see guys at the dragstrip packing their manifolds with ice before a run, they're trying to avoid de-rating the power of their engine.

With the Hellcat, the air-to-liquid intercooler operates on a low-temperature cooling circuit that is independent of the engine's cooling system. Competing powertrains operate on the same high-temp cooling loop as the rest of the engine, limiting their intercooler efficiency. By running a low-temp loop, the Hellcat's two heat exchangers—one in each bank of cylinders—can produce a much greater temperature differential. This system is so effective that the Hellcat can be driven for 20 laps on a 3.1-mile road course in 100-degree ambient heat without the engine power de-rating. (Among one of the torture tests Dodge engineers conducted was a grueling 24-hour endurance test at Nelson Ledges road course in Ohio.)

Quick question folks: Is this supercharger set up a possible swap for the ZL1? Has anybody considered anything similar. This low temp independet loop sounds like it could be the future of FI. It definitely makes more sense to run a supercharger that temps are regulated inedependent of the engine. What do you real deal car gurus think? I've seen videos and the hellcat is eating cars alive from a roll...demolished a C7 Z06 by the way. Its not too shabby from a dig either...if they can get traction.
LSA intercooler temps are independent of the engine, the 2 systems do not mix coolant. Our intercooler system is the same other than we have 1 intercooler brick in the super charger where as the hellcat has 2 bricks over the intake ports. This is very similar to the magnuson heartbeat supercharger that also has 2 bricks.

Basically you just want larger intercoolers in the supercharger to have a larger contact surface area with the hot air.

Both the hellcats blower and the magnuson heartbeat blowers intercoolers will be very similar in size....the heartbeat may actually be bigger fromt he pictures i have seen of both blowers.

The other thing the hellcat has going for it is the blower is 2.4L compared to the LSA which is 1.9 and the LS9 is 2.3 and the heartbeat is also 2.3L
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote