Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #1
dnelson

Drives: 2013 SS
LS3 TRANSMISSION/CLUTCH

I started noticed buzzing/vibrating going into 4th gear at lowish RPMs. The problem has since started talking to me in 3rd fear as well (only low RPMs).

Typically it is only for a few seconds until I get over 2500-3000.

This happened around 6 months after I dropped my trans and replaced the factory clutch with a McLeod RXT. I don’t think think there is any correlation but wanted to throw this out there. When I put in the new clutch, I put mobile 1 dex4 into the trans. One of my friends is a service manager at GM and said to put in the AC delco OEM fluid. I did and still no difference.

I’m out of ideas. The old fluid came out VERY clean with no glitter. The synchros feel fine as well. Another reason I don’t think it points to the synchros is because the buzzing will come back if I am cruising and drop down under 2500 without gear change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dnelson; 05-21-2022 at 07:43 AM.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Clutch - pressure plate.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
dnelson

Then why does it only happen in 3rd and 4th? Also it’s after clutch engagement.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Resonance vibration of a loose part perhaps.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #5
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I had vibration ain the 1400 to 1700 rpm range after they installed a mcleod twin disk. They said it was trans. Gm said it was clutch. I eventually sent the mcloed down the road after having the trans professionally rebuilt by tremec and vibration was still there with the mcleod.

Now have a spec 3+ single disk clutch back in and the vibration was gone. Mcleod never saw the clutch pack but decided it was the trans? GM did see the car with the factory clutch back in and ran a vibration meter test and found no issue.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:13 AM   #6
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I thought 5th gens recommends 2Dexos
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson View Post
Then why does it only happen in 3rd and 4th? Also it’s after clutch engagement.
I gave you the short answer free. If you want the long answer that will cost you $$$
All I know is back in the day changing clutches it's easy to bend the pressure plate trying to get the input shaft in the pilot bearing without an alignment tool or trans jack etc. And bent pressure plates or other issues, like warped clutch plate, springs etc cause weird issues that can mimic bad sycros in trans and whatnot.
Fz4k was kind enough to also add his experience in more detail being helpful to anyone having similar problems now of future searches. I was first but since he said it in more detail we should split the diagnosis consultation $$$ half and half.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
fz4k98

In my case, gear changes either amplified or reduced the vibration but it was always in the same rpm range. In terms of transmissions, different gears create different speeds internally to the transmission and also run on different trans parts and shafts. Some internal transmission speeds may be sensitive to the vibrations.

If i had no vibration from the clutch system, there was none to input into the transmission. if there was vibration, it would transmit to the input shaft of the transmission. After the rebuild of the transmission, the vibration left me no choice but to address the clutch.

My experience may be unique but twin disk clutch system on my car amplified the vibration and factory single disk and the spec 3+ did not.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
dnelson

Thanks for the info gentlemen, your insight is much appreciated. I really don’t want to drop the trans again. *sigh*
Old 05-03-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
fz4k98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson View Post
Thanks for the info gentlemen, your insight is much appreciated. I really don’t want to drop the trans again. *sigh*
The only other thing you might try is using a boroscope to check out the clutch system for anything loose etc. I used one and if you have patience you can check out quite a lot as long as you dont get it stuck somewhere. I got a cheap one at harbor freight and have used it several times.

Good luck, pulling the trans is definitely not fun.