Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #1
antyslope

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Vert
Ticking sound from rear end when getting off of highway

Hey guys.

So I’ve been having a small issue with my 2016 Camaro SS manual. Car drives fine when this ticking/clicking sound is present, it just doesn’t sound right. So whenever I’m getting off of the highway, and I’m back to driving locally, this sound is present on acceleration and deceleration while IN GEAR. I’ve tested out coasting in neutral and the sound disappears but as soon as I get back in gear, it is present. This happens in any gear. The sound seems to be rhythmic with acceleration and deceleration (as in, it matches the speed that I am going). So this leads me to believe a couple of things; differential, driveshaft or maybe CV joints. I just want to get other people’s opinions on this and see what the general consensus might be.

Note: the ticking does not occur when car is cooled down for a bit and I am driving locally, which is very confusing to me. Seems to only be effected by highway speeds.

Also another side note: I did run over a small piece of plastic on the highway and noticed it began occurring since this as well. Hoping it didn’t cause any damage to the main components and hopefully might just be stuck in the underside or maybe loosened up a heat shield.
antyslope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:56 AM   #2
antyslope

Bump
Old 08-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
I think a recording might help if you are able to capture it. Since you mentioned this started occurring after you run over a piece of plastic on the highway, have you gotten underneath the car to do a visual inspection? I am guessing perhaps a piece of that plastic is melted and stuck to the drive shaft.
weekend_cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by antyslope View Post
Hey guys.

So I’ve been having a small issue with my 2016 Camaro SS manual. Car drives fine when this ticking/clicking sound is present, it just doesn’t sound right. So whenever I’m getting off of the highway, and I’m back to driving locally, this sound is present on acceleration and deceleration while IN GEAR. I’ve tested out coasting in neutral and the sound disappears but as soon as I get back in gear, it is present. This happens in any gear. The sound seems to be rhythmic with acceleration and deceleration (as in, it matches the speed that I am going). So this leads me to believe a couple of things; differential, driveshaft or maybe CV joints. I just want to get other people’s opinions on this and see what the general consensus might be.

Note: the ticking does not occur when car is cooled down for a bit and I am driving locally, which is very confusing to me. Seems to only be effected by highway speeds.

Also another side note: I did run over a small piece of plastic on the highway and noticed it began occurring since this as well. Hoping it didn’t cause any damage to the main components and hopefully might just be stuck in the underside or maybe loosened up a heat shield.
After you mention the sidenote of running over a small piece of plastic? A pop bottle or a piece of someone’s bumper? I would get underneath and see if you notice any sort of abnormalities with your driveshaft/axle shaft. Any visible damage. check for U joint play, things that would be more noticeable after friction heat expansion from driving. depending on the miles on your vehicle, it could be something as simple as a worn out u joint
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:06 PM   #5
antyslope

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
I think a recording might help if you are able to capture it. Since you mentioned this started occurring after you run over a piece of plastic on the highway, have you gotten underneath the car to do a visual inspection? I am guessing perhaps a piece of that plastic is melted and stuck to the drive shaft.
I was able to record a video of the sound. It happens whenever I accelerate and decelerate while in gear and after driving for a bit of time on the highway. I have been able to isolate that symptom.

The video can be found with the link below:

https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-video...olinkgenerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
After you mention the sidenote of running over a small piece of plastic? A pop bottle or a piece of someone’s bumper? I would get underneath and see if you notice any sort of abnormalities with your driveshaft/axle shaft. Any visible damage. check for U joint play, things that would be more noticeable after friction heat expansion from driving. depending on the miles on your vehicle, it could be something as simple as a worn out u joint
And yes it looked like a piece of someone's bumper but not large at all. I still need to take a look under the car on a jack but from inspecting it on my hands and knees, nothing seems to be protruding out or anything. 90000 miles on it as well so perhaps.

Last edited by antyslope; 09-09-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:46 AM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I re-read your post and you mentioned when not in gear noise goes away so maybe a transmission noise you are hearing?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
antyslope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I re-read your post and you mentioned when not in gear noise goes away so maybe a transmission noise you are hearing?
Yeah it’s starting to seem like that may be the issue. Either trans, diff, or driveshaft. Noise does seem to come from center rear. I might just take it to shop one day and have them check out the bottom of the car and the sound and take it from there. Hopefully it’s something as simple as a fluid flush.

At least it does not seem to affect driving at all as of now but do not want it to get worse.

Last edited by antyslope; 09-11-2023 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something to say
Old 04-01-2024, 09:23 AM   #8
antyslope

Update: the noise had gone away for a few months, but it started back up after a 2 hour long highway trip. Same symptoms as before, only starts ticking/clunking once I’m getting off the highway and back into local speeds. So strange how it goes away and reappears.

Also I’m not entirely sure if it’s rear and anymore, as it may sound more so in the transmission area
Old 04-01-2024, 01:36 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
My guess is check your brake calipers for a possible source. I know it doesn't fit with the "only in gear" clue, but the fact that the sounds mimics your speed fits with the idea it could be simply the rotation of a wheel.
A piece of road debris lodged between the disc and caliper could cause this. Believe it or not, our discs aren't perfectly round and a bit of road trash could be finding your "high" spot- especially after it gets warmed up.
The clearances on these Brembo's are tight.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote