Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
rfs

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
LT headers + gmpp (unbranded borla touring axleback) - NEXT UPGRADE NEED ADVICE

Hey guys, I am hoping some of you vets out there can give me some advice regarding the tone of my exhaust on my 2010 2SS.

I would like to decrease some of the rasp of my current set up - I want that old school muscle car sound. I'm a college student on a budget so keep that in mind lol. That is also the reason why I went catless and believe that is the reason why I am not fully satisfied with my set up.

I can't afford a full catback or else I would. What do you guys recommend? Would switching the mufflers to borla's "s" type help deepen the tone? Would switching to an X pipe make a difference? Can I swap my off road connection pipes with HFC's? If so is it really that much of a difference and how would I go about that?

Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you in advance! sorry for all the questions lol

p.s- I want "loud" and want to stay away from anything that will dampen the noise of my current set up.
Attached Images

rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
First off...you'll never get the "old school" sound because these are new school engines. You have a great exhaust right now. I would suggest adding cats. That will mellow the sound.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Straight pipes will be loud.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
And an X pipe will do the opposite of making it sound old school. I have a buddy with one and it definitely makes it sound more modern and refined, as opposed to unruly like mine
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
SSkat

I would switch to the s type first. I have never heard the touring but had the s type with LT's with HFC's and it was nice and deep with not much rasp at all. If you are trying to get rid of the rasp I would start with the HFC's then go from there.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
rfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
First off...you'll never get the "old school" sound because these are new school engines. You have a great exhaust right now. I would suggest adding cats. That will mellow the sound.
https://www.phastekperformance.com/B...g-tubes-ss.htm

these are the headers I had installed, I took the cheap route with order the ones with the off road connection pipes, can any of you tell me how to go about switching the pipes with high flow cats? Does it have to be the BBK brand, what size, etc.

Also, would a different muffler change the tone? Such as the flow master american thunders? or would the difference in tone be so subtle and maybe even dampen the volume to my system.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
frey.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post

these are the headers I had installed, I took the cheap route with order the ones with the off road connection pipes, can any of you tell me how to go about switching the pipes with high flow cats? Does it have to be the BBK brand, what size, etc.

Also, would a different muffler change the tone? Such as the flow master american thunders? or would the difference in tone be so subtle and maybe even dampen the volume to my system.
Dude, straight pipes lol. I'm telling you. Muffler delete (axleback) and cat delete and you'll really rumble.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:

You can buy the BBK ones or pretty much any of that style.
Mufflers will change tone slightly...but so will cats. That's why we say your exhaust starts at the front. Changing components midstream will alter the end result....if that makes sense.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
rfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
Dude, straight pipes lol. I'm telling you. Muffler delete (axleback) and cat delete and you'll really rumble.
So cut off my mufflers or can you send me a link to something I need to buy
Old 08-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
Chris49066SS

Quote:
You just replace the mufflers with regular pipe. Use clamps in case you ever want to put the mufflers back on for whatever reason.

The best advice I can give you is do research. Read and watch videos, go to the drag strip/car meets, and get an idea firsthand how they are sounding, then choose yours. Until then, you're just going to get opinions and advice. To make the most informed decision, you have to invest the time to find the sound you really want.

Cutting the mufflers off isn't going to to anything to get rid of the rasp that you wanted to do away with in your original post. Its going to retain any rasp and just make it a bit louder.

Avenging Orange hit it right on the head though. But as for sounding this way or that way, I thought my car was loud with a muffler delete. ...Then I got long tube headers. Thought it was loud again. ...Then I cammed it and bumped the compression and run open headers, thought it was loud again. Its all subject to opinion. Its all subject to opinion. The only thing that matters is if ya like it. Good luck OP!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
frey.199

Quote:
Yes, what Chris said. You can just search axleback and that's pretty much a muffler delete. Should just be straight pipes from your axle back to your tips. That's what I'm running now with headers and no cats and it makes me nervous starting the thing up with neighbors. Can be loud in the mornings.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Chris49066SS

[QUOTE=frey.199;10595253]Yes, what Chris said. You can just search axleback and that's pretty much a muffler delete. Should just be straight pipes from your axle back to your tips. That's what I'm running now with headers and no cats and it makes me nervous starting the thing up with neighbors. Can be loud in the mornings.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I won't even do this anymore. Before 0900=no go.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
frey.199

[QUOTE=Chris49066SS;10595267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
Yes, what Chris said. You can just search axleback and that's pretty much a muffler delete. Should just be straight pipes from your axle back to your tips. That's what I'm running now with headers and no cats and it makes me nervous starting the thing up with neighbors. Can be loud in the mornings.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I won't even do this anymore. Before 0900=no go.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 AM   #14
LSLuvr

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:

Definitely should have gone with 1-7/8" headers. You could have bought the speed engineering 1-7/8" stainless for a bit less cash and they work perfectly.
LSLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote