Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Murnaneaa
Murnaneaa

Drives: Red
Speed cap removal?

I have a v6 2011 camaro ls and it has a speed cap of 118mph. how can i remove this and is it safe to do so? what are the possible problems i can have if i remove this? finally, will this void my warranty and how would i go about removing this?
Murnaneaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
With a tuner. FYI, the last 3 threads you just made should have been in different sub-categories.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Murnaneaa
Murnaneaa

thanks! is this safe to do so?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Dtrimpi87
Banned

The speed on your V6 is set to 118 because that's all the tires are rated for. If you change it, you do so at your own risk. Also, once you modify the computer, say goodbye to your warranty.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Murnaneaa
Murnaneaa

well within the next month im adding 20 inch rims and 180mph rated cooper tires so i think ill be good there. In terms of my warranty i only have another year and how would they know if i put a tune on?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Murnaneaa
Murnaneaa

are there any other ways to take the speed cap off?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murnaneaa View Post
well within the next month im adding 20 inch rims and 180mph rated cooper tires so i think ill be good there. In terms of my warranty i only have another year and how would they know if i put a tune on?
They can plug into your computer and see it has been tinkered with. There has been many discussions about whether the v6 can be detected, some say no, but to my knowledge no one has definitively proven either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Quote:
When you go the dealer and they plug into your car they can tell how many times the system has been modified (reflashed). It depends on what the problem is whether or not they will honor your warranty. The general mind set is that once you tune, your warranty is gone. Get familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Quote:
are there any other ways to take the speed cap off?
No.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Murnaneaa
Murnaneaa

damnn... so in this case do you think it is worth it? do you think that i will have problems with my car/engine?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Dtrimpi87
Banned

The only person who can tell you if its worth it or not is yourself. Do you have the need to exceed 118mph in the next year? Do you have a big chunk of cash saved up for repairs if something happens and they deny your warranty? Its all things to think about. Your the only one who can decide what you do to your car.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Out of curriosity ... which track are you at when you're bouncing off a 118 mph speed limiter with those basic mods on a V6?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
HA ha ...all these threads for 3 years about Dudes who did not get the RS because it was " too much money" and now have to spend more to get less.

I thought Nevada was the only place you can exceed 118 MPH without a ticket or a helmet?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
HA ha ...all these threads for 3 years about Dudes who did not get the RS because it was " too much money" and now have to spend more to get less.

I thought Nevada was the only place you can exceed 118 MPH without a ticket or a helmet?
Is it even legal in Nevada?

I assumed the only places 100+ mph speeds were legal in the U.S.A. were on private land, race tracks, or special road race events.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post

The smart 'DUDES' are the ones who are buying the LS and making the changes to the car THEMSELVES ; changing wheels Which MANY are doing, even after having spent the money for anything more than the 18's, adding radio controls, USB and bluetooth options, driving lights, etc.
This site has provided so much data that anyone willing to put in the time and a little elbow grease, is able to create the equivalent to a 2LT and save the extra money on mods for performance and or cosmetics . Had to know this was going to happen when they brought the Camaro back in 2009, so actually spending the extra cash on the 2LT, as opposed to simply going SS, sure seems the weaker call.

To the main question, even though the opportunity to go past 100 mph is rare if ever, is it possible to remove the speed limiter ? If anyone wants to do this, I believe once they have been explained the tire concern (as done above by dtrimpi87), they can make an educated decision without all the 'where are you doing this' questions.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote