Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
strutton
SStrutt

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Need help with upcoming inspection and CEL P015B P015D P0430 P0420

2014 SS Auto
CAI with scoop
Vitesse TC (removed through this process)
Range Device (removed through this process)
Solo HFC
Solo catback exhaust

All of the above was done at <7K miles and has run fine for the past +22K mile with no codes, in fact it runs like a dream and sounds great too. As I'm approaching my first emissions inspection (we get a pass for the first 3 years) in Feb 2017. I removed my Range Device to make sure it would cycle a bit to prepare for testing. Within 1 drive to work my CEL came on with P015B, P15D, P0430 and P0420.

I read about someone having problem with Vitesse and P015B P015D, so I removed mine. Not sure why, but that was easy to eliminate. I do miss it.

Continued drive cycles and daily driving resetting codes a couple of times. I was finally able to get the P015B and P015D to go away. But the P0430 and P0430 kept coming back.

In an effort to fix that, I removed and reinstalled my front 02 sensors (really to get to the bolts for the HFC) and tightened down the HFC bolts.

Over a couple of weeks I finally got the CEL to stay off, but couldn't get the drive cycle to get past readiness - of course it was waiting on the cats.

Then the dreaded CEL came back with the P0430 and P0420. So at this point I'm pretty certain this is the 02 sensor at the back of the cat. After reading here and talking to Steve at Solo, I probably needed to seek the help of Big Daddies - so order placed.

I removed the supplied extenders from the rear 02s that came with the Solo HFC and replaced them with Big Daddies right angle extensions. I reset my codes and went for a GM OBD II drive cycle. Within 2 miles (during the 3 min 55 mpg run) my CEL came back on. This time with a P015B and P015D WTF? I thought this was gone - ugh.

So at this point, I inspected my air filter, which looks as good as new and also vacuumed some light dust from the Injen water sock. I pulled my MAF, which visually looks fine - like new, I pulled fuse 5 and 20 and pulled the battery overnight.

During the above work all of my 02s sensors looked like they had normal use based on images I've viewed online. They weren't white. Also, a couple of months ago I did have a friend following me who asked if I was "running rich", cause of the smell of my exhaust - I didn't think much of it given my setup. I've also attached my last diag report OBD Fusion.

I'm going for a 100 mile drive today, the first run after the fuse/battery pull. I'll report back any success. If anyone has any additional suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Diagnostic Report 2016-12-04.html.pdf (206.3 KB, 415 views)
strutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Only 1 thing to do...get with dynoSteve at RDP ASAP....he will cure all your ill's and your car will never run better....pass all tests..unless visual!!! that can't be fixed with a tune, lol....I too have a Vitesse but ever since my tune it has never left 0...why...after the tune the car is a freakin animal!...my biggest problem now is....wait for it.....traction!

I put all new Bosch O2 sensors(from ebay $70) when I installed my header/HFC....the extenders are on the FRONT sensors...why...due to increase exhaust flow allows stock sensor to "read" better...Steve is awesome to work with...not knockin any other tuners!...personal exp. here....cars gets 22 mpg...goes from sea level to 4000' with ZERO problems...now in colder weather here cars is "learning" denser air....warm ups take a wee bit longer...but then right back to a nice low smooth idle until it's time to wake up a sleepy commuter....push the loud pedal ....AND...YOU....ARE...GONE! peace out
Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
strutton
SStrutt

I was going to say "no tunes' had a feeling this would be the first suggestion. I've struggled with this option from day one. I purchased a 100K mile warranty - really for the drive train and any expensive computer stuff, in my mind. But I'm not sure I want to give that up or at least have to be in a position to fight with a dealer/Gm over it. I've also yet to successfully use a dealer in Atlanta with this car. My last attempt had a dealer ordering a part and never called me back. I didn't bother to return - still need to fix that issue.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
SO INJEN for a CAI huh?, had horror stories of those years ago locking up engines picking up water down there in Cal with the tube to the ground ...not a wide choice... for a reason.

Tune it, you have to and warranty be damned. Delayed response from the speed of the exhaust flow you altered is not making the O2s happy in the stock parameters the ECU has them down for. Now if your just using a sock to cover the CAI's filter that's ok..... so your in Hot lanta, sorry..... just read your reply, well then replace to stock if your not going to tune it and want pass the smog as the big city is what it is.......... And that 100k warranty its usually a lot harder to collect on than you may think especially with any modification, a nice selling point in a way but also a major PITA to deal with as you are trying to sneak around emissions and improve flow and performance.
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....

Last edited by christianchevell; 12-11-2016 at 07:46 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
per sct web site x4 tuner when used and returned car to stock does NOT leave a foot print....many will argue this....per above put stock exhaust back in, inspec, return...but to not consider the tune is a huge loss....just have a chat with Steve, he has a thread for free Q/A....and he will work you an awesome deal....these cars are ALL computer....peace out
Old 12-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
strutton
SStrutt

Thanks for the tips on doing a tune. But, honestly I chose both the Cold Air Inductions and Solo's HFC and Mach-XC Cat Back because I was sold these did not need a tune and certainly did not produce CELs. I really want to get what I was sold and I know others have been able to achieve this.

If I'm going to drop my warranty and tune, then I'm going all in on headers and forced air options. I really wanted to keep this simple for now and was expecting that Solo and CAI would do that for me.

As of my last 100 mile drive, I have no CEL but have not passed inspection readiness yet! I'm waiting on my Evap System (my fuel level was full), Oxygen Sensor and Oxygen Sensor Heater (need to cold start and 2.5 min idle) to complete. I think I need a few more drives for the Oxygen Sensor. I'm skeptical they will complete. I also have the P015D/B in permanent state (probably waiting on the test), but nothing in pending. Fingers crossed...
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Good luck, man. Being in an emissions state (AZ), I understand the frustration, but went with LTH's/HFC's and a tune from RDP to make it run as efficiently as possible. I realize the tune could potentially give me some headaches with Chevrolet on the warranty (I only have the standard 3/36), but I track the car anyway, so I may have other hurdles to jump come a warranty claim. Following the thread to see how things turn out for you, but I think you should at least give Dyno Steve a call and ask him about the issues. He's a super easy dude to work with, and will give you the straight scoop, whether you buy from him or not.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
strutton
SStrutt

So I'm still fighting this issue and I'm about to give up and go for the tune. The last thing I tried was to loosen the cats and adjust the gaskets and retighten them down. I also removed the front O2s as these are the only ones giving me issues at this point. I did notice as others have pointed out that the factory threading is less than desirable but again I made it a point to tighten them with a good O2 socket to make sure there were no leaks.

I actually thought I had success as I made it 4 days without throwing a code. Just this morning I had no pending and no current. And the cel had gone out on its own 4 days ago. I was waiting on the previous code to clear any moment (didn't want to reset and do a whole new drive cycle) so I could swing into an inspection station.

But alas it came back. I really think I'm close. But 2/21 is my deadline so I think I'm going to look to tuning.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
So basically these two codes are stating that your cats are not operating efficiently (A Given due to them being HFC). I had this on my old 370z, and I bought some $4 O2 Spacers from amazon and installed them on the rear o2 sensors, and the code went away. Also, if the testing of the exhaust system is the same as it was on the 370, then the 0420 and 0430 only pop when you are traveling at the same speed and same rpm for a few minutes (like 3-4 minutes). I was actually able to get my cats into a ready state on the 370 by driving erratically to the smog place and they all checked green and passes emissions.

Also, I was not convinced that these extenders would work, but they worked and have worked for years. So least you can do is get the spacers for a few bucks and see if they work.
ARrado15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
As others have said P015B P015D are front O2 sensor codes. You really shouldn't be getting them with the mods you have. Gotta believe it's the CAI scoop vastly increasing the air flow. I would try putting the stock air box back on (maybe clean the MAF too) and clear the codes before getting tuned and trashing that 100k mi warranty. All EZ to do and can't hurt to try. In a week you'll know.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
strutton
SStrutt

I just hung up the phone with Steve at RDP. Purchased a tuner, will be going through that process shortly. I'll consider this issue resolved as I move on to the next phase of perma-grin that comes from a tuned-up SS Camaro.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
RichP

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert L99
I'm the same boat as you with JBA Shorties and Solo HFCs and inspection due!

Used to get an occasional P0420 when it was cold, but now every time I drive I get P0420 & P0430.

How did the tune work out?
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I'm the same boat as you with JBA Shorties and Solo HFCs and inspection due!

Used to get an occasional P0420 when it was cold, but now every time I drive I get P0420 & P0430.

How did the tune work out?
Get a pair of BigDaddies angled O2 extenders and bye bye CEL. I had same CELs with same exhaust as you and these fixed it. Check the forum they work like a charm

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #14
strutton
SStrutt

Sorry guys my update is little over due. My inspection was was Feb 21 (aka tax, tag and birthdate haha)...

camguynj - I already had BigDaaddie and yes they did eliminate the rear O2 problems but not the front.

So as my previous message said I ordered the tuner from Steve at RDP. The process was super easy. It helps that I'm a tech geek too. But Steve and his team are fast and helpful. Not only did they turn around the hardware quickly, the custom tune was done over night after sending my stock download.

And the tune??? All I can say is wow!!! Yeah it's worth it. My wife went with me for the initial spin (dumb idea). She immediately said take her home. It's like I bought a new car. The shift points and acceleration are amazing. I used to ride my Camaro in M all the time, now I only shift to M if I really want to get on it. I have never caught 2nd gear with an automatic, and that's has happened now (on a private road).

If you have an SS and you haven't tuned up, I would really recommended Steve at RDP. It's worth every penny, and then some.