Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5069
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
The terrain's trans controls are pretty terrible. I don't mind the dials, or even other pushbutton setups, but this is the least intuitive version I've seen. If one of the basic car controls makes you stop and think about it when you get in, they've done it wrong.
Still better than an ugly 90s looking lever that takes up valuable real estate on the center console. Idk why you need to think about anything... index finger on reverse and the other on drive. You never need to look down, unlike a dial.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #5070
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'd have to drive it to see for sure, but looking at it for the first time the layout is still PRNDL -it just goes left to right instead of top to bottom. To put it into drive (or park or reverse) it looks like I should just have to push the appropriate button. If thats not the case, then I'd say its pretty un-intuitive.

But if works by pushing the button to select the gear ... whats the problem? Besides it simply being different? I don't think its better than a normal gear select, I've never had a problem with the shifter sitting beside my leg & haven't ever thought 'OMG, there is SOOO much stuff that should be between the seats other than that thing'. But this new configuration doesn't seem all that confusing to me.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #5071
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If you've ever played around with it, it makes a lot more sense. The "go" controls (reverse/drive) are switches you pull towards you, the "no go" controls (park/neutral) are buttons.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #5072
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The Terrain transmission controls are not much different from what Lincoln has been offering for several years now. Just horizontal layout instead of vertical.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #5073
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If you've ever played around with it, it makes a lot more sense. The "go" controls (reverse/drive) are switches you pull towards you, the "no go" controls (park/neutral) are buttons.
Ah, in that case I understand the confusion. Shouldn't have to do two different things, its a needless complication. Either use all buttons, or all switches. Don't mix them.

On top of that, 'pulling' a switch like that out (I assume its bottom hinged?) is a terrible interface idea. Its much more natural (ie, intuitive) to push with the tip of your finger than to hook & pull.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #5074
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ah, in that case I understand the confusion. Shouldn't have to do two different things, its a needless complication. Either use all buttons, or all switches. Don't mix them.

On top of that, 'pulling' a switch like that out (I assume its bottom hinged?) is a terrible interface idea. Its much more natural (ie, intuitive) to push with the tip of your finger than to hook & pull.
The mix of functions is intentional. It stems from all the people who've left other non-conventional shifters in drive or accidentally turned the knob into neutral or reverse or whatever. By making the "go" functions pull switches, it makes sure that you're actually trying to put the car in motion. At least that's the theory.

I still favor column mounted shifters so...
Old 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #5075
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I do like that drive and reverse are toggles that have to be pulled on to make it more deliberate, but having the rest be buttons, being visually different doesn't make it as intuitive as it could be. The dials I have messed with had clearly defined detents, making eyes-up operation easier. I can get behind a good column shifter, or one of those floppy levers that let you pick individual gears most of all

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #5076
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The mix of functions is intentional. It stems from all the people who've left other non-conventional shifters in drive or accidentally turned the knob into neutral or reverse or whatever. By making the "go" functions pull switches, it makes sure that you're actually trying to put the car in motion. At least that's the theory.

I still favor column mounted shifters so...
Well I hope it wasn't accidental. But just because something was done intentionally does not make it a good idea. See the 'Innovative Product Quota' that GM had ~15 years ago.

Anyway, it seems like it should be pretty easy to lock out doing 'bad' things with an electronically controlled transmission.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #5077
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
You guys are making a big deal out of nothing (saying that lightly ) . We own a 2018 Terrain SLT. Loving it so far. It takes no time to get used to the switches. Park is push button, while drive is a pull back toggle switch as you can see in the image above. The nice benefit is it opens up the center console area for more storage...there is even storage underneath the center console...I've never seen that before.

The only thing that is dumb is the manual shift buttons are on the far right side. You could never use those comfortably to manually shift the vehicle. So that design is a bit off if you ask me...but then again I think in the Terrain you can use the manual buttons to select a highest gear and it will still shift normally without going above that gear. This is different from how the manual shifting has worked in my A6 and A8 Camaros.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #5078
FenwickHockey65

Yeah it's just a gear range selector in Terrain.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #5079
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
I would stay far away from that, I like the dial idea better than what is in the Terrain
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #5080
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I like the dial too. I hate the lever that’s in my canyon. I’d really take anything over that. I’m slightly salty over it

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 04-05-2018 at 06:25 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #5081
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
It’s something that didn’t need to be done, but the rush to “do something” gives us these things. Want to bet the failure rate will be higher than a simple lever we’ve used for 50 years? Ask Bob Lutz about the rush to be “different” and the resulting me too’s.

I can adapt, but if you have to drive multiple vehicles because of work, it’s damn annoying that each one has different wiper and headlight controls. Now we’ll add shifting? Plus I’m looking at new SUV’s for my 74 year old father. I’m sure most of us can handle it. He wants something he’s used to and comfortable with.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #5082
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So you guys are telling me that if you were CUV shopping and found one you liked a lot...more than others, but it had the tranny select method the Terrain has, you'd pass for that reason alone?

...and my wife thinks I'm car picky.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions