Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #183
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Well, yeah? You seemed to be making a joke out of something that is actually at least a slight concern to me. I can't even remotely drive my car @35 in 6th gear even with the gears. Obviously some of that is the cam profile though, but it really didn't like it 100% stock. That's awesome you could pick up 25 going with the mid runner fast! Do you have a dyno that shows your car with the ported rod mod, vs going to that fast? Or even one of your stock intake vs the Ported/Rod mod? Also, I am guessing that a lighter car like a vette would not be bothered quite as bad on the bottom end either, just because it's a lot less weight to lug around?

And I agree the LOD seems a lot like a tunnel ram. Which means I question how I would like it RIGHT NOW compared to a ported/rod mod intake, but I imagine it would definitely be the no brainier choice if I end up sticking a procharger on this thing at some point! But as of now that's an unknown, and will likely be NA for a while still. Totally looking forward to your results getting to run this thing on a dyno and track!

And I didn't stick a cam in a stock car, I had headers and an intake first! Then did cam, ported TB, and ported heads at the same time, knowing I would get gears soon after. I can't speak to a v6, but I am telling you, without the gears this cammed car would DECELERATE at WOT at 65mph in 6th if it was going uphill. I usually downshift to pass too, so it's not like it was the end of the world. And for the comments about low end loss not realistic....I'm not saying there should be NONE. I would give up 15 @2500rpm for 20+ @6500, for sure. But I wouldn't want to lose 40 to get 10, if that makes sense? Look at some of the intakes on that shootout I posted. Some of them would probably be great if I wanted to get another 1/10th off my time, but horrible for something that's almost all street
Go-go we are getting to the same page now. Please dont take any comment I make as being just directed at you. This is more for just general discussion and try and get people to think a bit more outside of the box. Look how far the 5th gen camaro has came in the last 3 years with 1/4 mile results. This doesnt happen because people are accidentally putting the right combo together. Do you have a ram air on your car yet? If not thats your next best purchase or fabricate you one. Not sure why your car is lugging so bad uphill no offense it sounds like you may need a little more tuning for drive-ability(reread your post and for sure with stock gears at 65 i totally get it would slow down at 65 uphill at lower rpm your cam still has the same valve timing events as 6500rpm so the cam is inefficient as all get out at 1200 RPM) . Plus 4.10s with a 28" tire is still not much gear in the Camaro. 4.56 would be ideal for most average builds and the car would flat move out easier and drive much nicer all around. Unfortunately that would be a 5 thousand dollar adventure lol

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82

Last edited by lazerlemonta; 10-18-2018 at 03:41 PM.
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #184
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
Go-go we are getting to the same page now. Please dont take any comment I make as being just directed at you. This is more for just general discussion and try and get people to think a bit more outside of the box. Look how far the 5th gen camaro has came in the last 3 years with 1/4 mile results. This doesnt happen because people are accidentally putting the right combo together. Do you have a ram air on your car yet? If not thats your next best purchase or fabricate you one. Not sure why your car is lugging so bad uphill no offense it sounds like you may need a little more tuning for drive-ability(reread your post and for sure with stock gears at 65 i totally get it would slow down at 65 uphill at lower rpm your cam still has the same valve timing events as 6500rpm so the cam is inefficient as all get out at 1200 RPM) . Plus 4.10s with a 28" tire is still not much gear in the Camaro. 4.56 would be ideal for most average builds and the car would flat move out easier and drive much nicer all around. Unfortunately that would be a 5 thousand dollar adventure lol

Nah you're fine man. I'm all for out of the box thinking and civil discussion.

I don't have Ram Air, I have a rotofab. I have wondered how much of a gain there would be switching to like a vararam. I don't like how the MAF(IAT) sensor sits right above the radiator hose on this one. Wish it was moved a bit. That said, I like the looks of the rotofab. And while I like to haul ass as much as anyone (I rip on this car more than anything I've ever had), it's also as much a show car as it is a go car lol. So if it's only a few HP difference, I'll probably stick with what is on there. If it's a big difference, maybe I need to look into making the switch.

I am sure this car could use a lot more gear than the 3.91s in it now. However, part of me wants to go with a PD blower at some point, and I would think anything more would just equate to more tire spin. That would sure solve my butt dyno not being happy with the low end in this car though

You didn't answer in your reply, but do you happen to have a dyno showing the difference between stock intake and a ported rod mod one on your car? Or one between the ported stocker and the mid runner fast?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #185
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
GO-Go i do have 2 dynos but respectively they are on different machines. i used both dynos in the past and they were very close to each other. I will be strapping down to the one I use all the time soon and will post a 3 intake comparison. I do not have a stock intake dyno. I do have a couple stock LS3 intakes but this is getting costly very quick. It would likely take me about 5-6 hours to test 3 intakes on the same day and possibly a bit longer to fairly touch up the tune for each one. I currently have stock rocker arms back on the car and I will need to swap them back to the 1.85s to give apples to apples comparison.

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #186
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Go_Go out of curiosity why are you stuck on having acceleration in 6th gear at 65mph? An auto trans wouldn't stay in OD when you accelerate, why should you. You simply downshift to pass. I do get what you are saying about losing down low, you just have to adapt your driving a little to accommodate for the shift in power to the higher RPM's. I was at the same situation you were in and struggled with what intake to get. I recently went with the GPI rod modded, ported and heat shield added intake and I love it. The mid range and the part throttle acceleration really picked up, but I also added the Trick Flow heads too. There is a very in depth test of the rod modded intake vs others, I will see if i can find it and post it. That is what helped me make my decision. I am going to wait till more people post their results before I decide on the LOD or a FAST as I do want to go Twin Turbo in the future.
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #187
13SSCamaro

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ast-102-a.html

Especially look at post#42
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #188
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
This conversation was on my mind while driving last night - so I intentionally did some 6th gear accelerations from low rpms on grades, like sub 55mph speed. Even from 1500rpm with essentially a max effort without valve reliefs cam I could accelerate (albeit not impressively) up grades, while having my wife and son in the car. I think GoGo's experience were based on having the stock 3.45 rear, which makes 6th gear INCREDIBLY long.

13SSCamaro - same experience here with the rod-mod, the midrange hit around 4000-4500 is STRONG. Mine runs out past 7000rpm very respectably as well. The part throttle is wicked as well, it feels like I have a throttle controller set to max on the car, it's just SUPER responsive, always eager to stand right up.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #189
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
GO-Go i do have 2 dynos but respectively they are on different machines. i used both dynos in the past and they were very close to each other. I will be strapping down to the one I use all the time soon and will post a 3 intake comparison. I do not have a stock intake dyno. I do have a couple stock LS3 intakes but this is getting costly very quick. It would likely take me about 5-6 hours to test 3 intakes on the same day and possibly a bit longer to fairly touch up the tune for each one. I currently have stock rocker arms back on the car and I will need to swap them back to the 1.85s to give apples to apples comparison.
Right on , I just thought I would ask. I am super excited for you to be able to compare these intakes for sure. I am sure that adds up fast, so to that I say thank you for doing this to get us some real world data! Very much appreciated man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
Go_Go out of curiosity why are you stuck on having acceleration in 6th gear at 65mph? An auto trans wouldn't stay in OD when you accelerate, why should you. You simply downshift to pass. I do get what you are saying about losing down low, you just have to adapt your driving a little to accommodate for the shift in power to the higher RPM's. I was at the same situation you were in and struggled with what intake to get. I recently went with the GPI rod modded, ported and heat shield added intake and I love it. The mid range and the part throttle acceleration really picked up, but I also added the Trick Flow heads too. There is a very in depth test of the rod modded intake vs others, I will see if i can find it and post it. That is what helped me make my decision. I am going to wait till more people post their results before I decide on the LOD or a FAST as I do want to go Twin Turbo in the future.

I'm really not, and I realize it's easy to get around this with a downshift. More just that it was the perfect example to showcase how little power they have down in that range. I know it's a give and take and that some adaptation is expected. I just want to know HOW MUCH either of these may or may not lose down low (and what they gain anywhere as well) before spending money I should not on more go fast parts I would be super bummed to plunk down the money for something like the x1, only to find out it lead to a less enjoyable driving experience than my stock intake, for the style of driving I do and the rest of my car's current setup.

Sounds like you are another happy customer with a ported/rod mod stock one! But the heads were probably a lot of the difference as well lol. Really wish there were more tests where that was the only change. I will look into the link you provided and do some reading, maybe it has what I am looking for. Thank you!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #190
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Yall doing it wrong. Go big cam, big stall, big intake, more gearing

I may have tried this intake out if I didn't have my current setup (and it wasn't so expensive). You can see my dyno in the dyno thread, i lost a lot of tq with my intake setup but I'm peaking hp so far into the powerband (in 7000s) that I'm having to spin it more to get the most use. Really interested to see how a few more cars compare
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #191
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well I chatted with Rafael this afternoon at LOD and I will be ordering my intake this weekend. Gonna get the raw aluminum finish so my paint guy can paint match it to my RJT car color. It's going to look great with everything else under the hood that is paint matched. Then it will be on down to my engine builder/tuner for install and tune, then we will see. Hope to have it installed and tuned by mid November, or sooner if I can work it out. So stay tuned guys! My Camaro is a daily so I will put it to the test for all you skeptics out there. lol.. Cheers
Old 10-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #192
13SSCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Well I chatted with Rafael this afternoon at LOD and I will be ordering my intake this weekend. Gonna get the raw aluminum finish so my paint guy can paint match it to my RJT car color. It's going to look great with everything else under the hood that is paint matched. Then it will be on down to my engine builder/tuner for install and tune, then we will see. Hope to have it installed and tuned by mid November, or sooner if I can work it out. So stay tuned guys! My Camaro is a daily so I will put it to the test for all you skeptics out there. lol.. Cheers
Awesome man. It will be great to see it compared to your last dyno graph. Do you have any track times with your current set up yet to compare to as well?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #193
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
Awesome man. It will be great to see it compared to your last dyno graph. Do you have any track times with your current set up yet to compare to as well?
Hey there, no track times yet as I wanted to put a few thousand miles on the build before I took her over to the track, but also it has been extremely hot over here and my track is in Orlando and it's hotter over there. But cooler weather is coming in the next couple of weeks so I plan on going over. I want to see if the car will run the low 11's like he said it would, just need to get a good 60ft time he said. The car is really quick and she gets it done really fast. She ran 12.68 with just the CAI, ported TB, LT's exhaust and tune at 365rwhp, and now I'm at 460rwhp with the cam and supporting mods. We'll see. And that 12.68 was on street tires.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #194
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
12.7 is about stock time BTW, so don't expect miracles. Long runners good for higher HP and shorter if done right build torque also, metal is what it is can heat soak but so can plastic …. Tires and a cam will of course lower your ET if you drive right.... and don't do one of a thousand things wrong like Bawk, Choke, Wheel hop the axle to death, Jump, etc....lol go in with the engine all hot and not ice the intake etc....theres a lot to drag racing right and that's why fun shows like the guys of the 405 on street outlaws are on showing the dialing in the suspension over and over the tuning of the car over and over, the replacing of the springs over and over...lol

I have been subscribed to hearing about the LOD intake since they first showed it and waited all through the Vararam debacle with their never made curved long runner they never made they supposedly had trouble getting a trade mark /patent for...while they could make the ones for COPO's etc.....

Said at one time to make them ls7 head capable maybe for the LOD alterations, good to see they are making different alterations for the design as they may be one of the only new things for real besides crappy no design sheet metal types that are devoid of real research much out there for cheap and do make it hard with the firewall...…..

As always talk is cheap...… GOOD LUCK and if nothing else it builds mass HP and looks great doing it....and the engine is more healthy for it making its torque that moves you.

And you have to take into account the corrections for the weather when it comes to ET... And heat sucks power big time and limits the engine big time ….. Give me colder denser air anytime......
Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #195
l.o.d_yankee

Drives: 2010/2SS/M6/440ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
12.7 is about stock time BTW, so don't expect miracles. Long runners good for higher HP and shorter if done right build torque also, metal is what it is can heat soak but so can plastic …. Tires and a cam will of course lower your ET if you drive right.... and don't do one of a thousand things wrong like Bawk, Choke, Wheel hop the axle to death, Jump, etc....lol go in with the engine all hot and not ice the intake etc....theres a lot to drag racing right and that's why fun shows like the guys of the 405 on street outlaws are on showing the dialing in the suspension over and over the tuning of the car over and over, the replacing of the springs over and over...lol

I have been subscribed to hearing about the LOD intake since they first showed it and waited all through the Vararam debacle with their never made curved long runner they never made they supposedly had trouble getting a trade mark /patent for...while they could make the ones for COPO's etc.....

Said at one time to make them ls7 head capable maybe for the LOD alterations, good to see they are making different alterations for the design as they may be one of the only new things for real besides crappy no design sheet metal types that are devoid of real research much out there for cheap and do make it hard with the firewall...…..

As always talk is cheap...… GOOD LUCK and if nothing else it builds mass HP and looks great doing it....and the engine is more healthy for it making its torque that moves you.

And you have to take into account the corrections for the weather when it comes to ET... And heat sucks power big time and limits the engine big time ….. Give me colder denser air anytime......
Coming from firsthand experience I can say you're 100% correct about the guys in the 405. In the beginning it was not the fact that they just overpowered the competition (they didn't) it was the fact that they are extremely methodical about the tune. Suspension stuff we definitely mess with but that's more at the track where the conditions are much more predictable. On the street it's more about traction control solutions and a matter of milliseconds on when the first kit comes on, converter lock up, timing, tire pressure ect. A million things have to happen right to get that one big money run perfect. Then after every run good or bad we go over the data up until we have to go up for the next round and that's between doc signing autographs and taking pictures. It's nothing short of a herculean effort those guys put forth to do what they do and most of the world just doesn't see that side of them.
I too remember the whole vararam debacle and I can say I understand where they were coming from. Much like tuning the 405 cars a million things have to happen right in the correct order to get from concept to execution. We at l.o.d get alot of our drive from our military backgrounds where quitting is not an option (or were just too dumb to quit) also we constantly are trying to improve upon what we have. As result you will see tweaks to the X1 manifold. We appreciate all the feedback we receive good or bad because let's be honest how are you to improve? Stay tuned we have much more coming.

-Raf "The yankee" Fischetto
l.o.d_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #196
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

Well I disagree with that statement, my best stock time with just a CAI and an axleback was 13.01. All the posts I have read on here for a L99 car times have been around there, folks doing LT's and exhaust were getting into the mid 12's according to what I have read, and believe me I have read them all out of curiosity, been on this forum since 2011, even information from Jannetty racing and their tunes for LT's and track times And I know how to drive my car at the strip, been drag racing since the 80's at my track. So this is nothing new to me, and that is on street tires and no wheel spin of wheel hop, just getting it done. Thanks