Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #85
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ciSCed View Post
Well, I listened to a bunch of videos. I am going to drive by the shop that will be doing my install to listen to the owners Trans Am with an F1-A Procharger.
I really really wanted to use a roots style......but they just don't make the power I want...not even close. And they do get hot fast, the intercoolers just cannot keep up after multiple runs. There's zero heat problems with a Centri SC'er.

The Harrop 2650 will fit my car, but without nitrous its only going to make about 1,000 RWHP. Around my area.....that leaves me getting whipped by many many cars. With the F1X I'm not sure which car will beat me after its installed...if I can hook....lol

Since it will be my fun car only...and no longer my daily driver.....I do not care about the Procharger squeal......

I have to switch my entire rotating assembly into a new LSX iron block so my Brodix heads with bolt up with 6 bolts per cyl instead of 4.....otherwise the F1X will be limited to about 950-1,000 RWHP.

My 4L80E just got "STUFFED" into my car, I'll take it for road tuning on Friday. Then start the LSX interal parts swap soon.....get that engine in and install the F1X package.
Cool. Sounds like you know what you want and that’s it. Only thing is I wouldn’t call the sound a “squeal”. A squeal is more of a belt that needs changing/spray or brakes that need changing. The sound from a loud blower is more like an industrial fan. Think idling, hot engine, radiator fan kicks on, but several times louder. Just a very present unceasing blowing sound.

Sounds like yours is a track car, and I could see how that would make little to no issue for you. Though mine is an LSX, 4L80E, swapped shaft and rear end, E85, Meth, and the accessories to support that, I’ve never run it on a track, and probably never will. It’s a convertible, no roll cage (and I refuse to put one on it), which means most-all race tracks won’t let me run. Got to admit I’m not crazy about surrendering the option of insurance to pay out on the track, like they will on the street. I ride all day (sometimes) and need more than ten second bursts anyhow. I do use all of it in the streets and could use much more.

Labels don’t always fit. I wouldn’t call it a daily driver, as its not my only car and I only drive it in good weather. I travel for long stints for work and drive a truck (not semi) during that time while the car sits home. Anyway, in my situation, sitting at lights, driving through residential areas, parking lots, etc., and the whole while having the top down, you can see why very loud fan noise would make a difference to me.

Like everything there is no right answer and all these choices are a very personal thing. In the end I’ll probably go PC myself as I’m skeptical any roots has the power I’d like to have on reserve. And after all its just an F1 class blower, not an F2 or F3, so it’s hard telling just how loud it will be. Video often doesn’t reasonably replicate real world sound, especially one like that, that doesn’t have an acute sharpness to it. I know a guy with a twin turbo Gen 5 and (again, not that enjoyable throaty engine sound) it’s hard to have any conversation over that blower sound on his car, even in idle.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 06-27-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #86
390ciSCed

Drives: 1998 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Cool. Sounds like you know what you want and that’s it. Only thing is I wouldn’t call the sound a “squeal”. A squeal is more of a belt that needs changing/spray or brakes that need changing. The sound from a loud blower is more like an industrial fan. Think idling, hot engine, radiator fan kicks on, but several times louder. Just a very present unceasing blowing sound.

Sounds like yours is a track car, and I could see how that would make little to no issue for you. Though mine is an LSX, 4L80E, swapped shaft and rear end, E85, Meth, and the accessories to support that, I’ve never run it on a track, and probably never will. It’s a convertible, no roll cage (and I refuse to put one on it), which means most-all race tracks won’t let me run. Got to admit I’m not crazy about surrendering the option of insurance to pay out on the track, like they will on the street. I ride all day (sometimes) and need more than ten second bursts anyhow. I do use all of it in the streets and could use much more.

Labels don’t always fit. I wouldn’t call it a daily driver, as its not my only car and I only drive it in good weather. I travel for long stints for work and drive a truck (not semi) during that time while the car sits home. Anyway, in my situation, sitting at lights, driving through residential areas, parking lots, etc., and the whole while having the top down, you can see why very loud fan noise would make a difference to me.

Like everything there is no right answer and all these choices are a very personal thing. In the end I’ll probably go PC myself as I’m skeptical any roots has the power I’d like to have on reserve. And after all its just an F1 class blower, not an F2 or F3, so it’s hard telling just how loud it will be. Video often doesn’t reasonably replicate real world sound, especially one like that, that doesn’t have an acute sharpness to it. I know a guy with a twin turbo Gen 5 and (again, not that enjoyable throaty engine sound) it’s hard to have any conversation over that blower sound on his car, even in idle.
My car is a 100% street driven daily driver. Had a 436ci stoker installed back in 2002. It lasted 12 years. Then I put this boost built 390ci LQ9 in. It will not be drag raced....but I'll go for fun....as I have in the past maybe a total of 5 times in 23 years with this car. I bought it new in 1998.

Its going to be a roll racer and just a fun, high power car. It will not be my daily driver any more......so thats why I think the noise won't be a big deal.

And this is with no hood......Not bad noise.
From the rear there is zero sound heard from the SC'er........when you get to about the front of the door you start to hear the slight squealing sound of all Prochargers.....it sounds like spinning metal touching metal to me.......From the front its easy to hear, but still the exhaust is easily heard.
Under any throttle that squeal pretty much disappears totally. Under any kind of heavy throttle its all exhaust.
So I think its no big deal,especially when it completely destroys the power making capability of a Roots type SC'er.

So I'm good with the sound of the F1X......
390ciSCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #87
Vanishing Point

One man’s blowing air sound is another man’s metal on metal squeal sound. So be it. If you’re lucky you can get a blow and a squeal at the same time. My car is just for fun and roll racing. I guess I don’t see why sound isn’t important in a fun car. To me that’s when it’s most important, when enjoyment is it’s only purpose. Apparently we think on different wavelengths. Nothing wrong with that. Room in the world for more than one opinion.

Anyway, I’m confused. Is that you in the video with the Texas plate? If so why does your handle to the left say Ft. Lauderdale? And your car list as a 98 Trans Am? If Texas, what part? And what’s that about a world record?
Old 06-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #88
Vanishing Point

Oh, I got it. You used somebody else’s video without saying so and explained the sound as if you were actually walking around your own car. Yeah, I stand by that is nothing like real world in that it doesn’t properly reflect blowing sounds (or any) as you would naturally hear them (and feel them). Ive heard a PC car in person and that same car on YouTube (not the F1X) and there was a huge difference. Thats a lot of trust to an iPhone or any camera. I just am very detailed and cautious and will make sure I hear it in person before going with it. Again, not saying you should-different strokes. I figure it’s best to reduce the chance of buyer’s remorse as much as possible. It’s not like you can just mail it back to Amazon if it’s not what you thought.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 06-28-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #89
390ciSCed

Quote:
Oh, I got it. You used somebody else’s video without saying so and explained the sound as if you were actually walking around your own car. Yeah, I stand by that is nothing like real world in that it doesn’t properly reflect blowing sounds (or any) as you would naturally hear them (and feel them). Ive heard a PC car in person and that same car on YouTube (not the F1X) and there was a huge difference. Thats a lot of trust to an iPhone or any camera. I just am very detailed and cautious and will make sure I hear it in person before going with it. Again, not saying you should-different strokes. I figure it’s best to reduce the chance of buyer’s remorse as much as possible. It’s not like you can just mail it back to Amazon if it’s not what you thought.
Yea, just posting that video to show the sound of an F1X.

You're right....I definitely will listen to a few of them in person before I commit to the F1X. I do have a complete single turbo kit from Huron Speed that retains A/C. This local shop said all I need to do is cut off the T4 flange and weld on a T6 flange, or use a T4-to-T6 adapter plate......and BAM......1,400 RWHP will be made easy with a single T6 turbo. T4 turbo, maybe 1,200 RWHP is the max.

I just hate the ridiculous mess under the hood of a turbo set up.....just changing spark plugs can be an all day affair.

A Procharger or PD (roots) SC'er is such a nice and easy install compared to turbo.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #90
390ciSCed

Factory 2650 SC'ed ZR1 Vette makes 1,139 RWHP......not bad. I'm thinking there might be another 50-80 RWHP....but thats about all the 2650 screws are gonna make.

http://hennesseyperformance.com/2019...paign=07022019

Last edited by 390ciSCed; 07-02-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #91
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Factory 2650 SC'ed ZR1 Vette makes 1,139 RWHP......not bad.
Well that’s hopeful....but the devil’s usually in the details. Is there a link to check that out? Like to see what kind of intake/hood configuration they’ve got on it, as well as any other details that don’t get stated.

And again, factory trans won’t take that kind of power long at all, so for real world we’ll have to consider our heavier, harder to turn 4L80Es. But there’s still hope. Once you lower that stated rwhp for real world intake and transmission, we maybe could bring it back up since we have built engines that would produce more bhp than that stock engine (if it truly is a stock vette engine).

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #92
390ciSCed

Quote:
Well that’s hopeful....but the devil’s usually in the details. Is there a link to check that out? Like to see what kind of intake/hood configuration they’ve got on it, as well as any other details that don’t get stated.

And again, factory trans won’t take that kind of power long at all, so for real world we’ll have to consider our heavier, harder to turn 4L80Es. But there’s still hope. Once you lower that stated rwhp for real world intake and transmission, we maybe could bring it back up since we have built engines that would produce more bhp than that stock engine (if it truly is a stock vette engine).
Link is above....sorry I forgot to add it before. You can bet that RWHP is correct....Hennessey might be a thief and lucky to be breathing.....but he's not going to mess with dyno numbers on his packages. False advertisement can be a very expensive crime.

I'm about to prove going from a 4L60E to a 4L80E will make a car faster.......I went to the track with my car....ran 3 perfect 1/4 mile runs with my 4L60E in it......12.6's each run.

The only thing thats getting swapped is my 4L80E and the hardware for the install. And the new FTI triple disc stall converter is the same stall...3200. So there's nothing really anyone can say about cheating in any way.......this will be a true, straight up, TEST. It should be all done no later than Tuesday next week. Possibly this Friday. I'll go directly to Palm Beach Raceway and run the 1/4 mile a few times....same tires, same pressure too.

I'm betting its gonna run a bit faster with the heavier 4L80E in it........just because.

Taking bets......
Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #93
390ciSCed

Don't get me wrong....1,139 RWHP is quite awesome to have.....but imagine how he's gonna feel when he gets completely ass raped by a car with 1,300-1,400 RWHP....and there's a ton of them out there....at least around where I live.....
Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #94
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
The Magnuson 2650 is a very capable supercharger. We made just over 1000 hp on an LT5 with a stock cam, no head work, and a mild pulley. I think with the right combination, this blower could make well north of that power figure on an LS.

We are looking for any LS customers looking to try a 2650 out.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #95
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Hum...

Tempting - but not sure how much more I’d get vs the ported LSA/102 NW/5" CAI/Meth/E85 setup I have now for the $...

Forged /stroked GMPP heads/custom cam for road racing - 416 LSA...

800+ RWHP/RWTQ

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 AM   #96
Vanishing Point

Quote:

I'm about to prove going from a 4L60E to a 4L80E will make a car faster.......I went to the track with my car....ran 3 perfect 1/4 mile runs with my 4L60E in it......12.6's each run.

The only thing thats getting swapped is my 4L80E and the hardware for the install. And the new FTI triple disc stall converter is the same stall...3200. So there's nothing really anyone can say about cheating in any way.......this will be a true, straight up, TEST. It should be all done no later than Tuesday next week. Possibly this Friday. I'll go directly to Palm Beach Raceway and run the 1/4 mile a few times....same tires, same pressure too.

I'm betting its gonna run a bit faster with the heavier 4L80E in it........just because.

Taking bets......
I keep forgetting you don't have a camaro. Not sure what all of the differences are in your car’s original 4 speed 4L60E and a Camaro Gen 5 6speed 6L80 trans is, so not sure how applicable your test is to me or other Gen 5s as concerns our swap from stock to forged internal 4L80E. So the transmission you are removing is stock and it came with a 3,200 stall?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 AM   #97
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Factory 2650 SC'ed ZR1 Vette makes 1,139 RWHP......not bad. I'm thinking there might be another 50-80 RWHP....but thats about all the 2650 screws are gonna make.

http://hennesseyperformance.com/2019...paign=07022019
As I said, the devil’s in the details and there are many devils in many details making this anything but “factory”. It is heavily modified from stock.

INCLUDES:
• HPE1200 Package Requires Race Gas*
• Ported Factory Supercharger
• Billet High-Flow Throttle Body
• Hennessey Upper Pulley Upgrade
• Hennessey Lower Pulley Upgrade
• High-Flow Air Induction System
• Custom HPE Camshaft
• Ported Cylinder Heads
• Upgraded Valve Springs and Retainers
• Upgraded Intake valves & Exhaust Valves
• Upgraded Lifters and Pushrods
• Long-tube Stainless Steel Headers
• Stainless Steel Midpipes
• High-Flow Catalytic Converters
• 8-Speed Automatic Upgraded Transmission*
• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids
• Professional Installation
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• Hennessey Premium Floormats
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty
• Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic oil & filter change
• Call Hennessey Performance for pricing and turnaround time details
Old 07-03-2019, 02:02 AM   #98
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
The Magnuson 2650 is a very capable supercharger. We made just over 1000 hp on an LT5 with a stock cam, no head work, and a mild pulley. I think with the right combination, this blower could make well north of that power figure on an LS.

We are looking for any LS customers looking to try a 2650 out.
DAMN IT!

This time last year I was living in Michigan and would have taken you up on that.

I guess I’m not quite sure what you mean by “LS customers willing to try a 2650 out”. Does that mean you have a demo unit you would install on the car to see what it will do and if the customer wants to keep it, he pays for it, and if it’s not what he wanted you’d return the old blower free of charge? I guess that’s what “try it out” means to me. A test drive so to speak.

I’d be a perfect candidate because I built the rest of the car already. So many go buy the big blower than realize they have to build the rest of the car before they can use it. I could and would use it all.

But wouldn’t you have to also modify the hood, since the Maggie rep said he’s not even sure when they’ll start to develop an under the hood unit for us? My car is (started as) a 2SS but the hood is ZL1 so it has a little more room but not enough for the Mag 2650 as I understand it.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-03-2019 at 02:18 AM.