Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #99
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
DAMN IT!

This time last year I was living in Michigan and would have taken you up on that.

I guess I’m not quite sure what you mean by “LS customers willing to try a 2650 out”. Does that mean you have a demo unit you would install on the car to see what it will do and if the customer wants to keep it, he pays for it, and if it’s not what he wanted you’d return the old blower free of charge? I guess that’s what “try it out” means to me. A test drive so to speak.

I’d be a perfect candidate because I built the rest of the car already. So many go buy the big blower than realize they have to build the rest of the car before they can use it. I could and would use it all.

But wouldn’t you have to also modify the hood, since the Maggie rep said he’s not even sure when they’ll start to develop an under the hood unit for us? My car is (started as) a 2SS but the hood is ZL1 so it has a little more room but not enough for the Mag 2650 as I understand it.
It would most likely be a full price unit. Jason in sales might be able to work out a deal for a demo vehicle. We have the ability to get the kits here, we just do not stock them.

What I meant by "try it out" is that we would like to get a kit in to develop packages for.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #100
390ciSCed

Drives: 1998 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
I keep forgetting you don't have a camaro. Not sure what all of the differences are in your car’s original 4 speed 4L60E and a Camaro Gen 5 6speed 6L80 trans is, so not sure how applicable your test is to me or other Gen 5s as concerns our swap from stock to forged internal 4L80E. So the transmission you are removing is stock and it came with a 3,200 stall?
It was a very well built 4L60E with a 3,200 Vigilante stall.....had this tranny since back in 2000 when FLT built it for me. Since then, just basic rebuilds every 4-5 years.

The 4L80E is a beast.....built for well over 1,000 RWHP. Its basically a Jakes Level 4......

Heavier does not always mean it'll slow it down.....I think it'll be faster.
390ciSCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #101
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ciSCed View Post
It was a very well built 4L60E with a 3,200 Vigilante stall.....had this tranny since back in 2000 when FLT built it for me. Since then, just basic rebuilds every 4-5 years.

The 4L80E is a beast.....built for well over 1,000 RWHP. Its basically a Jakes Level 4......

Heavier does not always mean it'll slow it down.....I think it'll be faster.
Yeah, so you’re not going from stock to a forged 4L80E, like I did (Jake’s Stage 5) and many others do. You’re going from one “built” transmission to another slightly larger “built” transmission. Of course there won’t be as big of a difference in your swap as there would be in someone swapping out a stock transmission. You’ve already given some of it up getting from stock to your current 4L60E. And of course one built transmission can be more efficiently built than another built transmission, so not sure even if it gets faster that you’re proving anything but FLT built a less efficient transmission than Jake’s does. You’re results will say nothing about stock swaps.

Devil’s always in those unstated details....

I on the other hand swapped from my stock tranny to my Stage 5 and had about a 50hp documented loss in power to the rear wheels. Maybe because that’s even stronger and heavier than a “basically” Jake’s level 4, but pretty sure they (built 4L80E) would all be a net loss from stock. On that I’d put money.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #102
390ciSCed

Quote:
Yeah, so you’re not going from stock to a forged 4L80E, like I did (Jake’s Stage 5) and many others do. You’re going from one “built” transmission to another slightly larger “built” transmission. Of course there won’t be as big of a difference in your swap as there would be in someone swapping out a stock transmission. You’ve already given some of it up getting from stock to your current 4L60E. And of course one built transmission can be more efficiently built than another built transmission, so not sure even if it gets faster that you’re proving anything but FLT built a less efficient transmission than Jake’s does. You’re results will say nothing about stock swaps.

Devil’s always in those unstated details....

I on the other hand swapped from my stock tranny to my Stage 5 and had about a 50hp documented loss in power to the rear wheels. Maybe because that’s even stronger and heavier than a “basically” Jake’s level 4, but pretty sure they (built 4L80E) would all be a net loss from stock. On that I’d put money.
Most people say you will lose ET/MPH when going 4L60E to 4L80E is because of more rotating mass. Any 4L80E will be heavier than any 4L60E.....but just because you're adding rotational weight doen't always mean a loss in ET/MPH......But maybe RWHP will go down. But losing a little RWHP doesn't always mean a slower car.

So I'm thinking like something you mentioned.....the 4L80E will perform better because its just better. And gearing is different....

A few friends who did the 4L80E swap reported better performance all around......
Old 07-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #103
Vanishing Point

I immediately adjusted back up for it by adding meth injection. So when I got it back it was very close to the same power. It was so much more smooth though. It previously jerked to the right when getting on it. That was gone. It was also just “tighter” for lack of a better word. It was straight, smooth and reactive, with no play and less shifting. First time it felt like a race car. It’s definitely a worthy investment I’m happy with. And once you’re built you can always just pump it up to overcome the hp loss.

It just annoys me to see Magnusson run stock tranny at 1000+rwhp for a power test. It’s deceptive. Another 50hp attributed to their blower that can’t really be experienced by anybody for more than one run, before you break it like they did.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #104
Vanishing Point

Today marks two full months since mrvenicess took his Camaro in for Harrop installation. Still excitedly waiting patiently for results.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #105
390ciSCed

Quote:
Today marks two full months since mrvenicess took his Camaro in for Harrop installation. Still excitedly waiting patiently for results.
Its unbelievable how long shit takes for things to get done sometimes......never in a million years would I wait this damn long for an engine to be installed into my car. It takes 4 hours. My brand new engine was installed in exactly that time....including all lines and hoses.

Yes...things come up....but not months of things......LOL
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #106
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ciSCed View Post
Its unbelievable how long shit takes for things to get done sometimes......never in a million years would I wait this damn long for an engine to be installed into my car. It takes 4 hours. My brand new engine was installed in exactly that time....including all lines and hoses.

Yes...things come up....but not months of things......LOL
Its 95 out down here in Florida so nobody feels like working too much! My engine was installed a few months ago and its almost ready to fire up. We have to fab up an intake, a catch can and a new coolant reservoir. There are a bunch of sensors and fittings that need to be figured out as well. We also remade the fuel system as the previous builder didn't think it out enough. I'm in no rush right now, just want it for the fall .
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #107
390ciSCed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
Its 95 out down here in Florida so nobody feels like working too much! My engine was installed a few months ago and its almost ready to fire up. We have to fab up an intake, a catch can and a new coolant reservoir. There are a bunch of sensors and fittings that need to be figured out as well. We also remade the fuel system as the previous builder didn't think it out enough. I'm in no rush right now, just want it for the fall .
You guys going to fab a sheet metal intake from scratch...?
I wonder what intake Fountain used during their dyno tuning......I would just use that same intake. It was probably a $300 Victor Jr.

Is the sensor issue because you're using a different PCM than the one Fountain used? If they had the engine up and running, I would assume you would use all those same sensors and PCM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #108
Vanishing Point

So does anybody know if Magnuson built a Gen5 under the hood 2650 unit yet?

MrVenicess, did you ever get a rwhp run on your Harrop?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #109
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
So does anybody know if Magnuson built a Gen5 under the hood 2650 unit yet?

MrVenicess, did you ever get a rwhp run on your Harrop?
Kong has the 2650 swap that fit in an LSA! So we know that fits under a stock hood too!

https://kongperformance.com/collections/kong-tvs-2650
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #110
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Kong has the 2650 swap that fit in an LSA! So we know that fits under a stock hood too!

https://kongperformance.com/collections/kong-tvs-2650
Yes, I know. Thanks for telling me though in case I didn’t. Even knowing that, I still would like to know if I have options. If both Kong and Maggie fit under the hood, I’d have to weigh other details to decide which one is best.

Ford makes Mustangs that go down the road. GM makes Camaros. Once we know that, we can look at them both to determine we don’t want that Coyote crap because we have options. Just trying to determine if Maggie is an option. Then determine if they’re better. There’s a lot of talk that they have super cold IATs.

I didn’t marry the first girl that gave me nookie

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 03-28-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:23 AM   #111
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Yes, I know. Thanks for telling me though in case I didn’t. Even knowing that, I still would like to know if I have options. If both Kong and Maggie fit under the hood, I’d have to weigh other details to decide which one is best.

Ford makes Mustangs that go down the road. GM makes Camaros. Once we know that, we can look at them both to determine we don’t want that Coyote crap because we have options. Just trying to determine if Maggie is an option. Then determine if they’re better. There’s a lot of talk that they have super cold IATs.

I didn’t marry the first girl that gave me nookie
Iirc the Maggie’s will NOT.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #112
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
The Kong does not come with a lid. You would need an OEM lid (good luck!), a DSX lid, or wait on the release of the Kong lid (rumored to be about $2k but has a massive, dual pass heat exchanger).
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote