Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
PandaSS

Drives: 2010 1SS L99
A/C Clutch is not engaging

My AC clutch recently stopped engaging. I switched the AC relay out with the headlight relay and the headlights worked with it, so I assume the relay is good. I jumped the AC relay with a piece of wire and the clutch DID engaged. Seems like the wiring is good and something is causing the relay to not fire. (It also doesn't make a click when I press the AC button) What would you guys troubleshoot after that?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Check to make sure that your system has enough freon/pressure.

If not, please don't use a can, you might have a broken piece somewhere.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
You can probably jump the pressure switch to see if it will engage the clutch (at least you can on older vehicles, I've not had to work on my Camaro AC system). If so it's likely low of Freon.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
PandaSS

Drives: 2010 1SS L99
Thanks for the help guys! I was about to go to O'reillys to borrow a set of AC gauges. I also wanted to inspect the wire going into the compressor a little more so I was messing with it to get a good look at it. Fired up the car and the AC started blowing cold.

How could just messing with the wire going into the compressor get the relay to work when I was able to hotwire it and have it engage every time? I would think a bad wire would be a bad wire and either method wouldn't work to engage the clutch. Oh well, glad it was something simple, maybe that wire is just in bad shape
Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSS View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I was about to go to O'reillys to borrow a set of AC gauges. I also wanted to inspect the wire going into the compressor a little more so I was messing with it to get a good look at it. Fired up the car and the AC started blowing cold.

How could just messing with the wire going into the compressor get the relay to work when I was able to hotwire it and have it engage every time? I would think a bad wire would be a bad wire and either method wouldn't work to engage the clutch. Oh well, glad it was something simple, maybe that wire is just in bad shape
Intermittent short?

Mine stopped working two days ago after blowing ice cold for years,

I also noticed my high speed fans will not engage.