Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I have had a bad experience with trying to get Progressive to settle a claim and have heard not good things about them in general. What has been your experience with them?
I have never had a claim with them (knock on wood). Hopefully never will lol. So i can't speak to that. I was more just saying the first thing i would do is threaten to switch from your current insurance provider and see what they come back with.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #30
TRUEOGRE2SS

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro Nitro Yellow Met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperjrjr View Post
I have a few questions for you guys, I don't really know anyone in real life that has any experience with camaros or cars in general.

First question, why does my LT1 camaro show up as an SS camaro when I tried to get insurance on it? Seems pretty silly especially if I'm gonna have to pay extra. Any of you had to deal with this?

Also, I really want the MBPR exhaust since I have a manual transmission. Do you guys know of anywhere or good website to buy a quad rear diffuser so that exhaust will fit?

What products do you guys recommend to clean the interior? This is the nicest thing ive ever bought myself and I want to take care if it.

Do any of you have any experience with the GM cold air intake? I was looking at the rotofab ones but they wouldn't ship to California. Also any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated!! Hope I followed all the forum rules, please let me know if I didnt . Ya'll have some sweet rides
Cheers on your new purchase, The reason why it showing up as an SS and not an LT1, might be because of the LT1 engine that's in the car, as the engine and the new trim level share the same LT1 name, be sure to give your complete vin # to your insurance company, as that should show the car as an LT1 (1LZ), If not maybe the new trim level may not be in there system, Also you should know that the new LT1 trim is actually an 1LZ trim level, tell your insurance company that as well, good luck.
TRUEOGRE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #31
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I have a few questions for you guys, I don't really know anyone in real life that has any experience with camaros or cars in general.

First question, why does my LT1 camaro show up as an SS camaro when I tried to get insurance on it? Seems pretty silly especially if I'm gonna have to pay extra. Any of you had to deal with this?

Also, I really want the MBPR exhaust since I have a manual transmission. Do you guys know of anywhere or good website to buy a quad rear diffuser so that exhaust will fit?

What products do you guys recommend to clean the interior? This is the nicest thing ive ever bought myself and I want to take care if it.

Do any of you have any experience with the GM cold air intake? I was looking at the rotofab ones but they wouldn't ship to California. Also any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated!! Hope I followed all the forum rules, please let me know if I didnt . Ya'll have some sweet rides
Hey Jasper, to the forums and congrats on your beast
I'd only chime in on the interior cleaning aspect, you can see my mods in my sig anyway; the products matter much less than your technique and willingness to put in the effort. Watch videos, read the detailing section here and enjoy keeping her clean after wild drives. As to my actual experience, I've had success with Adam's Polishes products and accessories.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #32
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:

I can't see it showing up as an SS, because its not an SS. You didn't buy an SS so they have no right to tag you with an SS label. If they do tell them you will shop around and go to a fair ins. Co. The SS is more expensive to repair than an LT1 because of more bells, whistles, driveline goodies etc. Then again look at it from another angle, a 4 banger Camaro can crash and wreck as easily as an SS. I would also bet more claims come from base model camaros than the SS models.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #33
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
I would say you are lucky the insurance rep did not charge you more than the SS. Being the lightest V8 Camaro the LT1 is the fastest one!

LOL... Not sure were you're getting your information from but if you download the GM brochure for 2020 and look on page 30 it provides some pretty good factory specs on the vehicle. I didn't find any reference that the LT1 was the fastest.
In fact it actually shows the 0-60 and 1/4 mile slower for the LT1 with a limited top speed of 149 mph vs 180 mph for the SS.

One thing that might help the LT1 is GM list that the LT1 is limited to a top speed of 149mph. While this shouldn't apply to street use..LOL, it could have some effect on a reduced rate.

Here a link by the way to the factory brochure, good information for the model year.

https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.am...s.com/2438.pdf

I agree.. Let's see some pictures!

Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
LOL... Not sure were you're getting your information from but if you download the GM brochure for 2020 and look on page 30 it provides some pretty good factory specs on the vehicle. I didn't find any reference that the LT1 was the fastest.
In fact it actually shows the 0-60 and 1/4 mile slower for the LT1 with a limited top speed of 149 mph vs 180 mph for the SS.

One thing that might help the LT1 is GM list that the LT1 is limited to a top speed of 149mph. While this shouldn't apply to street use..LOL, it could have some effect on a reduced rate.

Here a link by the way to the factory brochure, good information for the model year.

The lack of performance suspension and top end of 149, will kill closed track performance times in the LT1. 😩 Actually I like the LT1 except for the grill. They should have used the SS grill. I can't see it costing anymore money to have added it.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #35
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post

It is the fastest being the lightest. That is just physics. Exact same power and drive train. And you are probably right about the posted Chevy time. But the difference is tires. Those tires limit the top speed of LT1 in the tune.
LT1s come with a free winter setup. Give me a stock LT1 with SS rear tires and with the same driver and the SS WILL be slower. It is just science.

Or better yet anyone, bring your M6 SS whatever with a CAI and DRs to Atco in July and let us see how it goes. Or I can lend you my DRs and you run first, then we can see what the LT1 has to beat.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #36
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
The lack of performance suspension and top end of 149, will kill closed track performance times in the LT1. �� Actually I like the LT1 except for the grill. They should have used the SS grill. I can't see it costing anymore money to have added it.
The LT1 has the exact same base suspension as the SS and the top speed tune limit is because of the stock all seasons. And if you put the same tires on a non-1LE SS and LT1, the LT1 with the same driver twill be able to beat or at least match an SS for a lap or two. Both have about the same braking but the superior cooling in the SS will allow the SS driver to maintain track performance longer. The LT1 driver can still stay out there but will have to back off and get trounced by the SS.

Below is a thread about the LT1/SS differences.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577077
Old 07-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #37
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I can't see it showing up as an SS, because its not an SS. You didn't buy an SS so they have no right to tag you with an SS label. If they do tell them you will shop around and go to a fair ins. Co. The SS is more expensive to repair than an LT1 because of more bells, whistles, driveline goodies etc. Then again look at it from another angle, a 4 banger Camaro can crash and wreck as easily as an SS. I would also bet more claims come from base model camaros than the SS models.

With my vin on my Onstar/Mychevrolet app it shows up as an SS. With the DMV it showed up as a 1SS and on with my Insurance my vin also showed up as an SS. All I can say is I did not create the VIN GM did. This can be a good and bad thing. Also apparently someone got their LT1 into the High 150s for top speed so 149 is not the limit. I have heard 155 and 160 from different people here and on other forums.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #38
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
With my vin on my Onstar/Mychevrolet app it shows up as an SS. With the DMV it showed up as a 1SS and on with my Insurance my vin also showed up as an SS. All I can say is I did not create the VIN GM did. This can be a good and bad thing. Also apparently someone got their LT1 into the High 150s for top speed so 149 is not the limit. I have heard 155 and 160 from different people here and on other forums.
You're talking hear say and I'm listing published official GM information. GM is going to limit the top speed of the car based off the ratings on the tires. All season is not a performance tire. I'm just listing what is published in the brochure, see page 30 in the link below, it has some very good GM specs for all the models as well.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-05-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #39
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Then I am going with the GM published numbers as far as top speed goes. As far as my car being vinned as an SS nothing I can really do about that one they entered that three times for me just to make sure it was done right.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #40
Memphis SS

Quote:
It is the fastest being the lightest. That is just physics. Exact same power and drive train. And you are probably right about the posted Chevy time. But the difference is tires. Those tires limit the top speed of LT1 in the tune.
LT1s come with a free winter setup. Give me a stock LT1 with SS rear tires and with the same driver and the SS WILL be slower. It is just science.

Or better yet anyone, bring your M6 SS whatever with a CAI and DRs to Atco in July and let us see how it goes. Or I can lend you my DRs and you run first, then we can see what the LT1 has to beat.
I'm not probably right, I would say I'm quoting exact numbers from an official manufacture release on their product. That is why I provided you with a link you could look for yourself.

Your post reads like it's hundreds of pounds but if you actually take the time to review the link again, you will find that the loaded 2SS auto compared to the LT1 auto has a weight difference of only 76 lbs. Also, you would have the added weight of the wider tires based on your comments. If you look at the info the LT1 has a slower 0-60, about equal 1/4 mile, but slower top end.

Bottom line. Claiming the LT1 is the fastest is not correct. Can it be changed or modded to be faster? sure... but we are talking stock cars from a question about insurance.

Again, I'm a big fan of the LT1. I thought it was one of the best ideas GM has come up with in a while for a good entry level V8 street version. It's also opens the door for a good base Camaro to mod the way the owner would want it to make it a track beast.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-05-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
Then I am going with the GM published numbers as far as top speed goes. As far as my car being vinned as an SS nothing I can really do about that one they entered that three times for me just to make sure it was done right.
I hate GM did the VIN numbering to show it as an SS because it adds some additional cost to the LT1 owners. To bad they didn't create it's on VIN category.

Since mine is a weekend toy I linked my OnStar to release the driving information to my insurance company. It doesn't provide all the information like hard acceleration, speed or braking.(Thank God) It mostly just shows the hours I drive and how much a drive it each month. I saved over $125.00 a year by doing that. I don't know if that's something you could consider?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #42
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
I'm sure you've got plenty of info on it on here by now, so, I just want to say, congratulations on the Camaro and welcome to the family!
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote