Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #1
rsrsrs

Drives: '11 2SS/RS M6
2011 SS - Suddenly unable to shift into 1st & 2nd gear

So yesterday was going back to work after lunch, was able to downshift into 2nd and 1st, and coasted in the parking lot in 1st, parked the car, left it first. Came back out a few hours later, and I wasn't able to go into first or 2nd. It feels like I'm locked out of the gears and the shifter doesn't want to move fully to the left. Gears 3-6 and Reverse work fine. Pressing the clutch I don't hear any weird noises. Even with the car off I can't move it over.

I've taken off the boot and looking at it, the rod (excuse me for not knowing the technical terms here) going to the shifter looks like their might be something preventing it from going into the correct position. I've attached a pic circling what I'm referring to.

The shifter in my car is an aftermarket one from MGW. Installed this back is 2011ish and never had any issue with it.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the cause for this could be since it just happened out of nowhere. I might reinstall the stock shifter to see if that works however I would like to keep the MGW if possible.

Thanks.
Attached Images

rsrsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
rsrsrs

Drives: '11 2SS/RS M6
So here's an update. I noticed on the driver side, the bolt that attaches the bracket going from the tranny to the shifter was missing. I watched a YouTube install video for a 2014 which said the bolt was a 5/16-18, bought one of those but it didn't fit. Took me about 30mins to get the other bolt out. Was going to bring that one to the hardware store to get the correct one but after spending that much time getting one out I decided to just swap to the stock shifter. After doing that I'm now able to shift into 1st and 2nd.

Even with the MGW Shifter out, it still feel like there's an issue with moving it to the left side s I'm guessing it's something internal. I moved the dust boots as well but that didn't help.

Now I just need to relearn how to shift the stock shifter because the difference is night and day.
rsrsrs is offline   Reply With Quote