Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Water leak in trunk, electronics

Found the car last night in the driveway (off) emitting some crazy electronic noise that I heard from inside my house. Almost sounded like an alarm but without the variable tones. Went out to the car and it seemed like the mic was going haywire and causing feedback through the audio system. The tone would change when opening and closing the door and getting in/out etc. I elected to disconnect the battery immediately since the noise was so insane & loud and something was clearly very wrong.

Took a look first thing this morning and discovered water in the bottom of the trunk. Not a ton of water. But enough that it obviously was trouble. Vacuumed out the water and disconnected the harnesses and left it open for the day. This evening, I sprayed down the panels and the harness connectors with electronic parts cleaner. Reconnected the harnesses and battery. No more noise. Yay! Took the car for a ride and it seems to be driving ok. I have found only one issue so far but there are some more things I need to test.

The clicking noise for the turn signals is not working. The signals flash on the dash but the click is super quiet or perhaps silent. This sound is run through the audio system, as we all know. Any idea what fuse controls this? Or is this a sign of a bigger problem that isn't obvious to me yet? Any reason to bring the car into the dealer for diagnostics? Obviously not looking to blow $ for nothing but I also don't want to be chasing electronics gremlins indefinitely.

As a side vent.... why the F did they put such sensitive electronics in that location! There is nothing obviously wrong with any of the trunk seals. It wasn't left open. Had I not discovered this or if the leak was worse this could have caused a TON of a high $$$$ damage (knock on wood, it didn't... but that's pure luck).
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's not the seal itself it's usually the harness that runs from the top of the trunk and gets pinched between the seal and the trunk lid itself. I do agree that at least the fuse box needs to be moved to the other sidewall like the battery is.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
stook2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It's not the seal itself it's usually the harness that runs from the top of the trunk and gets pinched between the seal and the trunk lid itself. I do agree that at least the fuse box needs to be moved to the other sidewall like the battery is.
Thanks, I will have to take a look at that harness. Hadnt occurred to me...
Old 08-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
stook2001

Coming back for a little more guidance/assistance on this...

There are some more problems that have emerged that I am sure are all related. Not certain what the best way is to troubleshoot.

- The chimes on engine startup dont sound right. They are sort of crackly sounding and aren't right.

- The turn signal sound doesn't make any noise (or it is super quiet).

- When I set the balance/fade to the driver side front with music I am getting very little output that is also crackly when playing music. It sounds like the speaker may be blown (the driver side dash speaker).

- I think I am not getting cell ringing through the audio system when I receive a call over the bluetooth connection.

Given how I found the car when it was going haywire, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the small dash speakers blew. But I don't know enough about the operation of the amp/dsp thing in the trunk to know where the output is sent for some of these other features. I suppose it is also possible that the amp is fried and what I am perceiving as a blown speaker may actually be a blown channel (+ maybe some other damage).

I'm going to say that swapping out the amp is much easier than swapping out that dash speaker. However, the amp is about $450 and I am not too sure if I would be able to return it if I wanted to try out a replacement and it turns out not to be the issue.

Any other thoughts on how to easily diagnose? Or if the above description is indicative of an issue that is beyond the scope of that one speaker being blown?

By the way, I should mention that this is the bose system.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Having to replace the amp is very common when people get water in their trunks. Not sure the best way to prove this would be an effective solution without running the risk of purchasing something you cannot return, as you mentioned.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517584
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #6
Camrochris

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
Coming back for a little more guidance/assistance on this...

There are some more problems that have emerged that I am sure are all related. Not certain what the best way is to troubleshoot.

- The chimes on engine startup dont sound right. They are sort of crackly sounding and aren't right.

- The turn signal sound doesn't make any noise (or it is super quiet).

- When I set the balance/fade to the driver side front with music I am getting very little output that is also crackly when playing music. It sounds like the speaker may be blown (the driver side dash speaker).

- I think I am not getting cell ringing through the audio system when I receive a call over the bluetooth connection.

Given how I found the car when it was going haywire, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the small dash speakers blew. But I don't know enough about the operation of the amp/dsp thing in the trunk to know where the output is sent for some of these other features. I suppose it is also possible that the amp is fried and what I am perceiving as a blown speaker may actually be a blown channel (+ maybe some other damage).

I'm going to say that swapping out the amp is much easier than swapping out that dash speaker. However, the amp is about $450 and I am not too sure if I would be able to return it if I wanted to try out a replacement and it turns out not to be the issue.

Any other thoughts on how to easily diagnose? Or if the above description is indicative of an issue that is beyond the scope of that one speaker being blown?

By the way, I should mention that this is the bose system.
I know this is a few years old, but I have pretty bad rain damage in my car. I got it back from the dealer after a month and it ran great for the 25 miles ride home. The next morning I went out and the stereo started making clipping noises. Like wires were crossed, or were rusty. But the head unit looked OK. I called the dealer. "Bring it back". Ok. So I go to do that and this time there is NO POWER. Car is dead. Very worried that Ted Britt Chevy doesn't know how to fix it. AT ALL!!
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 01:58 PM   #7
Anom1LE

Drives: 18' 2SS 1LE, 94' Z28
I posted a thread regarding this very topic with some help to prevent
this issue from occurring/reoccurring.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612850

1994 Z28 - Direct Port Nitrous - Multi Magazine Feature Camaro Z28
Anom1LE is offline   Reply With Quote