Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 06-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #1
Vladislav

Drives: Camaro 6 1LT V6 2019
Thudding noise from the front wheels

Hi guys!

I have a problem with my Camaro 2019. Maybe someone of you had this problem before and can give me advice what should I do.
So, the problem is that when I am driving over 50 km/h (before 100 km/h) I have a thud sound whose amplitude is equal to wheel rotation. I can feel it in my steering wheel. Especially I can feel it good when I am driving through long turns. Moreover, if I brake fast, after that I can also feel it very good. Yesterday, I drove on highway 110 km/h and I hadn't any issues. I already replaced both front wheel bearing hubs, both front shocks and inner steering tie rod ends. The suspension is ok also, I did check in 3 workshops and on vibrostand. Please, could you give me an idea of what it can be?

Thank you in advance!
Vladislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
A vibration in the steering wheel with brakeing is usually warped rotors or rotors with uneven pad material buildup. It's rhythmic like that as the rotor turns and it's uneven.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:01 AM   #3
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
A vibration in the steering wheel with brakeing is usually warped rotors or rotors with uneven pad material buildup. It's rhythmic like that as the rotor turns and it's uneven.
Thanks for your answer, but when I am braking I don’t have problem, it happens after braking. So after braking I drive for example 80km/h and I have this noise very well. I checked the rotors and pads also, it almost new. But I found when front right wheel lifted up with jack and I am trying to rotate it, pads rubbing rotor in one place and I have a a line on rotor.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
On a V6 car the tires are all the same size, right?
I would try a front to back wheel swap and see if that changes anything.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
On a V6 car the tires are all the same size, right?
I would try a front to back wheel swap and see if that changes anything.
Yes, tire are the same, I will check it on weekends. Do think it can be due to the tire? I have absolutely new tire and rims, I use it only 5000km.
The sound looks very similar to the sound of broken bearing but front bearings are new and original.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
weekends. Do think it can be due to the tire? I have absolutely new tire and rims
I do think it is possible. new wheel can have small crack. new tire can delaminate. rare, but possible.
if it is a problem with the wheels/tires, then you should notice some change when you switch things around.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I do think it is possible. new wheel can have small crack. new tire can delaminate. rare, but possible.
if it is a problem with the wheels/tires, then you should notice some change when you switch things around.
Yes, that’s true. I will check it definitely. I already checked everything and I have no any idea what can it be… it’s so annoying! if you have another possible reasons, please, tell it
Old 06-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #8
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
How were your wheels balanced? Old school weights, or the newer sticker style? Maybe a weight fell off one or both wheels? This happened to my wife's car many years ago.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:33 AM   #9
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
How were your wheels balanced? Old school weights, or the newer sticker style? Maybe a weight fell off one or both wheels? This happened to my wife's car many years ago.
I have a sticker weights. I thought about it but I think it’s not a case. It happened with me on my last car and I got only vibration on steering wheel but I didn’t have any thud sound. I checked a balance on this wheels and it is correct.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #10
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Any update on this issue?
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:16 AM   #11
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
can be good to sort of assume its tires until proven otherwise... so often it ends up being tire(s).

are front tires cupped? directional tires? dismount and swap side to side? also the front-to-back swap?
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:53 AM   #12
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
Any update on this issue?
Hi, in workshop found an issue with rack and pinion… So I will install new one.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:56 AM   #13
Vladislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRockford View Post
can be good to sort of assume its tires until proven otherwise... so often it ends up being tire(s).

are front tires cupped? directional tires? dismount and swap side to side? also the front-to-back swap?
I already checked all wheels, any way I have this sound. All rims and tires are new.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Have you investigated the front brake calipers to see if one is sticking?

If one doesn't relax enough after you release the brake pedal, the pad would tend to rub against the rotor and perhaps produce the thudding noise and vibration you described. It might eventually return to it's normal position, which would explain why the problem goes away after a bit. If this is indeed your problem, it would have to be a caliper that is only "partially sticky" as the symptoms sound like they are intermittent.

Read through this Brembo page link about the topic, as it describes practical ways to diaganose a sticky brake caliper:
https://www.brembostoreusa.com/blog/...rake-calipers/
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote