Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: .
Camaro 0 0%
Mustang 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #6917
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
My post was a bit 'tongue in cheek', but ok, and to each their own, of course. I've done just a weeeeeeeeee bit of drag racing, so I do ask that you keep my obvious bias in mind when reading my posts.

FYI....for 99+ Cobras, live axle swaps are VERY common (and very easy). I did it with both my 99 and later my 04. Both daily drivers (26 miles to work each way, every day, mix city/highway). I'm sure the ride wasn't as good as with the IRS, but it wasn't so horrible that it made any significant difference to me, and the benefits (again, for me) far outweighed the downsides. For the road racing crowd, it is obviously a different story.

As you said of course the live axle must be dialed in. But once you do, it is cheaper, lighter, more efficient, and stronger than the IRS. All that stuff is great for us drag racers, but I totally get it that I'm in the minority, and again, to each their own.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Bob
Bob,

Exchanging thoughts with informed people is about the best part of any forum. Thank you for posting!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #6918
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Indeed.

Best of luck.
Bob
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #6919
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
don't the L99's start off in 2nd if you don't manually shift them down to 1st? I thought I had read something like that... maybe I'm making that up.
Yes, L99's do start off in 2nd when you don't use TapShift to manually drop down to 1st.

The thing about the L99, when you mash the gas pedal from a 30 mph roll for instance, is the lag before the car takes off. I understand that the transmission will downshift and then the car will take off, but the car feels slower than you would expect in that type of situation.

Of course, once it gets going, it moves pretty well and even for a stock car, you feel like you're in a pretty fast car.

With a Kenne Bell blower, the car has all the balls you could want from a 30 mph roll.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #6920
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
I've done just a weeeeeeeeee bit of drag racing,...

I like how you put it.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #6921
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric n View Post
It amazes me how fans of each seem compelled to argue over why the other car sucks, as opposed to why they like their particular car. Further they refuse to give the, "opposition" their due.
We are humans. That is why. Human nature. Thank god too, or it would be pretty damn boring around here.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #6922
jtlove

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Has anybody noticed that the only comparison being published "that I know of" is comparing the 2011 Mustang GT Automatic against the 2010 Camaro Automatic with the L99.

What are the numbers when you run the Camaro SS with the LS3 and the 6 speed manual???
jtlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #6923
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Most the comparisons have been LS3 vs 5.0. 6 speed vs 6 speed.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #6924
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
MUCH easier said than done...they would have had to do all the development and validation tests for TWO powertrain combos (if not more) in the time span of one...just to have it ready in time to counter...that means the car would have had to be released even later..........

Ford did not answer the 2010 Camaro. There wasn't time. "They prepared an answered in anticipation of the 2010 Camaro" would be more accurate to say.

No doubt work began on this new engine right after the concept Camaro was released with an advertised 400 hp...and any bum could have seen that the weakest powerplant GM could have put into the Camaro back in 2006 was the LS2 out of the Corvette (even in '08 it was the 361hp L76 from the G8)...so they answered THAT. Don't let yourself believe that Ford was able to "answer fast, and GM can't"....
You are thinking in the "old" GM ways. New GM needs to work faster. Besides, I'm sure GM is 2 yrs out anyway at this time. The day #1 rolled off the line, you would HOPE they are 2 yrs out at that point in time. I'm quite sure they could have gotten thier MPG numbers they wanted with a 3:73 for 2011, that should have been a no brainer.
-bobby
Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #6925
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
But of the 100,000 or so 2011s that will be sold, I'm guessing less than 1000 of them will ever see a dragstrip.
That is either the most uneducated guess or the most naive statement I've ever read.
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #6926
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNuts View Post
That is either the most uneducated guess or the most naive statement I've ever read.
I think it's completely true. What % of 2010 Camaros do you think will see a dragstrip and what facts lead you to draw that conclusion?
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #6927
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNuts View Post
What makes it so uneducated? That means roughly 1% of mustangs sold will be taken to the dragstrip. While I will give you that it's hard to quantify, I don't think it's an outrageous claim. In fact, I bet fully 75% of all 2011 mustang owners will never even visit a mustang forum or buy a single aftermarket performance upgrade. Those of us in here represent a tiny fraction of the car buying public.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #6928
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
This is some very good data (1/4 mile times...eh...different story, but thanks for posting anyway).

Interesting that the power has a "dip" between 4600 & 5200 rpm. Wonder if that is the variable cam timing making some changes in that rpm range. Bet a tune could do some good there.

Thanks - again, very good info.
Bob
dont worry Bob...we're not concerned about how much power the car actually MAKES throughout the rpm range...just peak power. right?
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #6929
DieselNuts
Spartan Performance

Drives: it like I stole it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
it's just 22 more cubic inches guys. it's not superman.
You're either misinformed or turrible (as Sir Charles would put it) at math...

376-302=74ci difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
What makes it so uneducated? That means roughly 1% of mustangs sold will be taken to the dragstrip. While I will give you that it's hard to quantify, I don't think it's an outrageous claim. In fact, I bet fully 75% of all 2011 mustang owners will never even visit a mustang forum or buy a single aftermarket performance upgrade. Those of us in here represent a tiny fraction of the car buying public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
I think it's completely true. What % of 2010 Camaros do you think will see a dragstrip and what facts lead you to draw that conclusion?
I was thinking long term. The time frame we are talking about means a lot. Once the price on these cars drop in the next few years, younger, more auto enthusiast oriented people will be able to afford them and will take them to the track. That is the fact that drew me to that conclusion.

If you are talking about this year, then I agree with you.
DieselNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #6930
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
let me get this out of the way, I am a lsx guy, have owned 3 of them all awesome cars, but I also am true car enthusiest and love ALL american muscle. I hate to bust your bubble but these are in a break in mode when new. When they get some miles on them they really come alive. The livernois car dynoed just about the same numbers when it had under 500 miles on it. At 1500 miles it really came alive and made 391rwhp bone stock.
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 mustang, 442trumpsall, 5.0, camaro, camaro lost!!!, camaro lost., carthatsucks, corvette, drag, fanboys anonymous, ford, ford mustang, glue factory, gluefactory, gt ss ssrs comparison ford, gtss, mustang, numbers, oldnag, race, tired nag, trolls, video