Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #113
JonMan503

Drives: 300zx for now ss very soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
You already have a lot of power that is being transmitted through a drivetrain that wasn't designed for the extra 150-ish or so RWHP that you're making - to say nothing of the pistons, rods, bearings, crank, rings, and seals in the motor. It's real easy and not too expensive to add another big chunk of power via forced induction, but understand that as you add more power, your likelihood of breaking something (minor or major) increases substantially.

Personally...I don't care if it is an LS1/2/3 or a 4.6/5.0 or a Hemi....I wouldn't add forced induction to an engine that doesn't have forged pistons and rods, rings that were designed for forced induction, or one that has high compression. You can probably get away with it for a while (depending upon the tune, how you drive it, the gas you use, etc), but it IS going to break, and probably sooner rather than later.

That doesn't even address things like the transmission, the differential, and the halfshafts.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make the most of what I have now. Tires are good, so that's probably where I'd start. What kind of weight could you reasonably take out of the car? Reducing weight is BETTER than adding power, because not only do you go faster, but you also decrease the chance of breakage. Learn to drive the car to its potential - whether it be on the drag strip, autocross, or a road course. I can't tell you how many people I've seen add big power and either go slower, about the same, or only marginally faster than they did before they added that "big power". Also, consider what needs to be done to the rest of the driveline and suspension to allow it to take the abuse of what you can deal out now, and what you are planning to deal out in the future.

About that future....if you're going to do it, do it right. Once you have the other stuff done, and have saved the dollars, get the blower - and while you're at it, have the motor gone through and upgraded with good pistons and rods.

As the old saying goes....you can pay me now, or pay me later.

Good luck.
JonMan503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #114
jo0oker

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax86 View Post
Ha! Good Job Jo0oker! 2 down more to go!!

how do you like your FAST 102? i was thinking on getting one but i might get a magnusson TVS2300 which would delete the 102.
3 words

Go for it
jo0oker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #115
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo0oker View Post
3 words

Go for it
have you dynoed it yet? HP? TQ?