Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #183
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
One reason I don't own a C6 Corvette coupe today is because I just can't justify having and feeding a 400+ horsepower engine in a road car (those runflat tires (with no spare) turn me off too) and the fact the Camaro is being offered with a truely sophisticated DOHC V-6 with direct injection is really the only reason I would even consider the Camaro. I'm wanting a decent road car and 300 horses is plenty, even though the car is a little portly in the gross weight department.

I hope the whole car looks and drives as good as it appears. If it does, I just might be enticed to own a GM car again for the first time in decades.

I've heard that the Caddy CTS with the manual gearbox feels kinda' sloppy in that car. I've never even seen a CTS manual except at a car show.

Wonder if the Camaro (which apparently uses essentialy the same hardware) has the same complaint?

It's gotta have a decent manual gearbox inside or it won't be fit for my garage.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #184
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
I've heard that the Caddy CTS with the manual gearbox feels kinda' sloppy in that car. I've never even seen a CTS manual except at a car show.

Wonder if the Camaro (which apparently uses essentialy the same hardware) has the same complaint?

It's gotta have a decent manual gearbox inside or it won't be fit for my garage.
Welcome to the site!!!

I can find them if you want, but if you peek around the site, you should be able to find a few articles by MotorTrend, etc. They drove the V6. There are also 15 people whom GM chose to provide input on the car for the past couple of years. They also drove the V6 manual. Every single review to-date has been nothing but positive.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #185
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There are a number of reviews on the V6 that you can look at for how the car should feel in this thread: review compilation
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #186
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Welcome to the site!!!

I can find them if you want, but if you peek around the site, you should be able to find a few articles by MotorTrend, etc. They drove the V6. There are also 15 people whom GM chose to provide input on the car for the past couple of years. They also drove the V6 manual. Every single review to-date has been nothing but positive.
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm an old fart who comes from the sportscar world (from AH Sprites to Mazda RX-7's and MX-5's) but I was once a Chevy guy and my first car was a brand new '70 Camaro 300 horse SS350 4 speed.

If it works out, I just might buy another new Camaro, 40 years later.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #187
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm an old fart who comes from the sportscar world (from AH Sprites to Mazda RX-7's and MX-5's) but I was once a Chevy guy and my first car was a brand new '70 Camaro 300 horse SS350 4 speed.

If it works out, I just might buy another new Camaro, 40 years later.
I think that would be nice.

You have any pictures of the '70 SS?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #188
Flighttester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think that would be nice.

You have any pictures of the '70 SS?
Yeah. But none that are scanned in. (I'm writing this from a hotel room in Louisana. I'm down here on business).

Remember that really was 40 years ago and personal computers were not around yet, much less digital photography.

I liked the car when I had it but I really didn't miss it much when it was gone.

It usually worked ok but it wasn't trouble free. Being in the USAF, I made lots of trips between Southern Illinois (my home then) and South Carolina (where I was stationed most of the time I owned the car).

I eventually added an electronic ignition so that I didn't have to replace the spark plugs and points every 10,000 miles. It had about 11-1 compression ratio and it used leaded fuel, the exhaust system was shot in about two (2) years.

I sold the car after about three years (and over 60,000 miles). There was some serious rust starting to form at the rear window by that time. It was never driven in road salt much at all. I have to say my wife probably missed the car more than I did at the time. I've had lots of 'real' (two-seat) sports cars I liked better overall. But the Camaro was fun for a little while. Not a bad first car really.

It isn't true when they say those old ones were better than what they make now. I don't know about the new Camaro but even my current little '00 Miata is actually more overall fun to drive (handles way better) than that old '70 Camaro did and the Camaro had the factory handling package and everything else in the book you could add. I went through the book and factory ordered it from Jerome Chevrolet in Freeburg Illinois. It cost me $3,400 brand spankin' new.

But, it was fine looking though. Better stylng than this new one, in my opinion.