Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Attorneyguy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Need your help to come up with a navigation solution for my new Camaro!

I currently own a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, and I freakin' love it. I also plan on buying a new Camaro (can't wait to sit in one at the auto show in February!). But I am disappointed that the Camaro (like the G8) does not have a navigation option (and, no...OnStar nav does NOT count!). So I need a good solution for navigation in my Camaro. So let's start brainstorming!

Below is my Bluetooth/navigation solution for my 2008 G8 GT (believe it or not, the 2008 G8s don't have Bluetooth either). As you can see from the photos below, I went with the Garmin nuvi 265T and installed it in my cubby hole under the G8's main console unit.

My first step was to remove the side panel to access the G8’s main console area so I could install a second DC outlet by hard wiring it to the vehicle’s center outlet…

The next challenge was to come up with a way to mount the nuvi in place so that it didn’t move around when I pressed the screen or drove around town aggressively. I started playing around with the mounting bracket that comes with the nuvi itself…

To create the base, I improvised. In true hillbilly fashion, I used a simple post-it package and used electrical tape to attach it to the mounting bracket…

I then installed my half-assed mount in the cubby hole with Velcro. I also attached Velcro to the front of the mounting mechanism to attach the nuvi…

I then attached the nuvi to the mount. The hillbilly looking appearance of my half-assed (yet effective) mount is irrelevant since the mount will be hidden from view…

I then placed the nuvi and mount into the cubby hole. I also ran the wiring from the nuvi up through the underside of the main console (yes, there is a hole there so you can access it) and concealed the wiring inside the center unit. I then reattached the panel that I had removed to access the wiring…

This Bluetooth/nav solution works great. When I turn on my car, the nuvi turns on automatically. When I turn off my car, the nuvi turns off automatically (since the G8’s front DC outlet loses power when the car is turned off). It looks completely integrated, and the risk of theft is substantially reduced given the nav unit’s location and low profile…

It just makes the G8 look that much better inside. And I have not had a concern with safety in looking down at the unit to view information. The nuvi 265T speaks street names, so I don’t even have to look at the unit at all times. I just listen to the voice prompts. Even when I need to take a look at the screen, a glance is all it takes…

Sure, I wish the G8 came with a nav unit that displayed information on the main screen, but this is the next best solution. I think it looks better than placing a nav unit on top of the dashboard (where the unit is visible to the entire world, including thieves). Plus I like that I don’t have to turn the unit on and off every time I get in the car (and there is no concern about ever losing power).

For $199, it’s a nice set up (and probably a better value than if the G8 did come with a navigation option!).

So what is my navigation solution for the Camaro??! I have been studying the interior photos, but I still don't know what to do. Thanks!
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Wow, for a "hillbilly solution" that actually looks really great!

Not sure how to do this for the Camaro though...main problem being that the center stack doesn't go all the way to the center console.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Here's how I'll be doing my nav system.

As far as yours goes, are you getting the four pack or not?
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
^^ same here! especially since i'm installing the 4-pack in my 1SS
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Rand McNally....the man's serious here guys. I'd expect that of fuzzy buddy zebra(lower case z???), but I thought you, Xanthos, were more of a class act!
Seriously though, there don't seem to be any useable openings in the Camaro console stack. Plus higher up the dash appears curved, and you need a flat surface for a flat screen. This is a tough one, but doing the same thing has crossed my mind, so I will keep thinking about it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Attorneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Here's how I'll be doing my nav system.

As far as yours goes, are you getting the four pack or not?
- Xanthos
I'm definitely getting the four pack. (You have no choice but to get it with the SS RS, correct?). That's why I have been struggling to come up with a good solution. No cubby hole in the Camaro! I would love to plug it into a DC outlet in the Camaro so that the nav unit turns on/off every time I turn my Camaro on/off. But I don't want the wires to be exposed.

How about this for an idea...
What about placing the nav unit right above the four pack and right under the climate control console? Is there enough room between the bottom of the main console and the top of the four pack? It looks like there is an opening there, but it is hard to tell from the photos I've seen. There also may be an opening right under the climate control console that you can run a wire through (and install a second DC outlet inside the center unit so that it is concealed).

I've looked at hundreds of photos on this board, but it is hard to tell how much room there is in this area. Does anyone know?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Hard to tell for sure from this picture, but what about mounting it on the dash to the left of the radio? It looks like there is some space on the dash and you might be able to run the wires back into the dash there. Certainly, where the 4-pack gauges go would be the obvious choice, but that doesn't work for those with the gauge package.
Name:  Camaro%20Roadtrip%20058.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  138.9 KB
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
I will mount mine on the windshield just like I do in my truck. Most times it isnt even up there. Do you really need a GPS around your own town? You only use it on trips or unfamiliar areas anyways. Why cut a hole in the dash to mount it.

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
I'm definitely getting the four pack. (You have no choice but to get it with the SS RS, correct?)...
no. the aux gauges only come with 2SS & 2LT. it don't matter whether or not you have the RS package (that's only an exterior appearance package)

as for Rodrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Rand McNally....the man's serious here guys. I'd expect that of fuzzy buddy zebra, but I thought you, Xanthos, were more of a class act!
i'm just gonna assume you forgot the don't-take-me-seriously smiley. if not... what the heck!? there's absolutely nothing wrong with knowing how to read a map. it's something more people need to know how to do. yeah, GPS units are cool, but i've never had any need for one. maybe Xanthos is in the same boat with me and many others. being 'classy' has nothing to do with having all sorts of trinkets in your car to tell you what to do & how to drive. i ain't gonna ask why you would come up with such a ridiculous assumption, but you should think before doing so again.
end rant.

Last edited by zebra; 01-01-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
zebra, my apologies!!! I was assuming you know me well enough from past posts to know I was just joking...I swear!!! But after rereading my post I can see why you took it seriously, and I shouldn't have used the rolling eyes smiley. Just remember in the future don't take Rodrunner too seriously. Again, I was not being serious, that's why my next sentence started "Seriously though". SORRY!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
zebra
just can't seem to leave

it's all good. i didn't know exactly what you were goin for, so now that that's clear...

maybe someone could find a way to mount it on the A-pillar
Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Attorneyguy

IMHO, lack of a navigation option for a 2009-10 model year car that costs $30,000 plus is a major oversight. I mean, you can get factory nav in $17,000 Hondas and Fords. GM is behind the curve once again.

Trust me, when you see the Camaro in those new car buying guides where they list the pros and cons of each car, "lack of navigation" will be listed for the Camaro.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
2010/SS/RS

Drives: 06Dodge Charger RT/ 06GMCZ71
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
IMHO, lack of a navigation option for a 2009-10 model year car that costs $30,000 plus is a major oversight. I mean, you can get factory nav in $17,000 Hondas and Fords. GM is behind the curve once again.

Trust me, when you see the Camaro in those new car buying guides where they list the pros and cons of each car, "lack of navigation" will be listed for the Camaro.
WHAT HE SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010/SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #14
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Struggling with the same issue....even my wife's new Traverse doesn't have NAV....I've got an excellent A/V guy here in St. Louis....JML Audio.....he'll figure out a way for me to get it integrated, make it look factory, and still continue utilizing all of the factory capabilities.

When I sat in NUMBER3's 1LT a couple days ago, this was one of the things I was thinking about and GM did NOT make this dash aftermarket "friendly" as all of the controls and faceplate are one integrated unit.

Good luck! Suction cup on the dash is the best I can offer you right now...
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote