Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #99
LT4Lover
LT4Lover

Drives: 2011 SG 2SS/RS,'97 30th Z28 SS LT4
I think that being able to go down to the Factory (Oshawa), be handed all the build sheets etc. (maybe even get 'buddied up' with a key plant worker), tour the plant, and track test your own car would be well worth an extra $1500. Would also love to be involved in something assembly related but it would have to be a finishing touch since I would want to drive it away that same day. I assume taking delivery from the plant is also on the table? An experience like this would be a compelling reason to purchase a new one vs. waiting a couple of years and allowing market depreciation to have it's way with the car before jumping in. GM should definately do this!
LT4Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #100
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I would rather have it delivered right to my door then at the factory. . .personally.

I am sure that the dealership that you are buying it from would be glad to do that for you free of charge.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #101
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
I am sure that the dealership that you are buying it from would be glad to do that for you free of charge.
yea after they do a few burn outs along the way.

I would rather see a car hauler pull up in front of the house and unload the car.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #102
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
I hate to say this but for the most part it is true. Camaro buyers are cheap! A Camaro is not a Corvette and most Camaro people would not spend the money GM would want to have you build your Z/28 motor. I can say this because I own a number of Camaro's and a Corvette. The typical Corvette buyer has the extra money to blow on a Museum delivery or a build your own engine program. The Camaro has allways been the little brother to the Corvette. I would dought that GM has any factory program, but if they did I would do it when I order my Z/28.
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #103
Jswaggs11

Drives: 98' Jeep Wrangler
If i had the money to buy a camaro, i'd definitely buy the Z/28 option
Jswaggs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #104
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
I hate to say this but for the most part it is true. Camaro buyers are cheap! A Camaro is not a Corvette and most Camaro people would not spend the money GM would want to have you build your Z/28 motor. I can say this because I own a number of Camaro's and a Corvette. The typical Corvette buyer has the extra money to blow on a Museum delivery or a build your own engine program. The Camaro has allways been the little brother to the Corvette. I would dought that GM has any factory program, but if they did I would do it when I order my Z/28.
Yes. It IS the vettes little brother.

However, if you are willing to step up to the plate and pay for this beastly machine, what's an extra grand for an experience like no other? Also, it's not like every person ordering a Z28 would choose to go this route. But, if you do choose a Z28, you are choosing the best of the best of that model car. There's a reason you are ordering it...and there's a MUCH higher likelyhood of picking a plant option than say, for a V6 or SS model.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #105
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Quote:
Not all Camaro buyers are cheap....I could have bought a vette if I wanted, but I wanted a camaro...I have two Camaro's now...Both 2ss's...and I will be looking to add a Z/28 to the mix.

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #106
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
The GT500 from Ford doesn't offer it and neither does the CTS V which we are predicting will have close performance specs. Thus there is no way the Z28 is getting any of this. Not only that but I can't see many people even wanting to in the first place.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #107
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
I like the initial idea -- but also agree with the fact that Camaro owners don't quite have as much disposable income as Corvette owners do (all the time).

Perhaps a happy medium is required? I like the initial idea details and whats provided - but make it ala carte.

Provide HD photos of the car being built for 150-200. Provide a build sheet - in a hard plastic frame for another 100-200 (un-creased of course). Provide a video for an additional xx $.

Basically you could have an "entire" package or let people pick the things that would be most important to them and only pay for those "extras".

Just my .02$. For some of us - even though we might not have as much money as the Corvette owners (now im just speaking of me specifically) -- for the price the Camaro Z28 is more than likely GOING to be - shelling out an extra 1-2000.00 is kind of a "drop in the bucket".

but thats just me.

-R
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #108
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
If this was a car I plan to keep for life and regard it like a member of the family, I would pay some cash for the assembly experience and have the car's paperwork unfolded and sealed , etc.

But truth be told I'll likely only have this car a couple years and then sell it for something else. Not that I dont love it, but there's too many cars out there and not enough money in my bank acct for all of them. (This is prob why I've had 6 cars in my 9 years of driving, lol)

Also, I dont see why GM won't do something like this. Its another way to make money and if people are willing to pay, then why not make a few extra pennies on this?

I also agree with everything 3.4L V6 guru says
Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #109
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I wouldn't be interested in paying extra to be part of the assembly because I would probably F something up and cause the motor to blow LOL! But seriously, I would be interested in the pics and build sheet as well as maybe a track day at a major speedway like Daytona or Talledega! My boss bought a Challey SRT8 and he had a track day experience at Daytona INCLUDED in his purchase price! He just had to fly there but Chrysler had all their SRT's there for customers to take on the track! Plus they got high speed rides with a professional driver in a Viper! GM sould seriously consider a perk like this as part of the purchasing experience!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #110
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I wouldn't be interested in paying extra to be part of the assembly because I would probably F something up and cause the motor to blow LOL! But seriously, I would be interested in the pics and build sheet as well as maybe a track day at a major speedway like Daytona or Talledega! My boss bought a Challey SRT8 and he had a track day experience at Daytona INCLUDED in his purchase price! He just had to fly there but Chrysler had all their SRT's there for customers to take on the track! Plus they got high speed rides with a professional driver in a Viper! GM sould seriously consider a perk like this as part of the purchasing experience!
Something like this would be nice!
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #111
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think the paper work would be a nightmare for US citizens.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #112
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I dunno, man...have you seen the money some of the members of this site are dropping on their cars? I mean...WOW.