Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #211
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrill View Post
Mid-April I dropped my car off at the dealership with a broken lifter. She's still fully stock at hit 6K miles when I pulled into the service bay.

Once all was said and done the engine was replaced. GM did review the ECM parameters along with additional information the mechanic sent over. Even though he was pulling parts out of the oil pan, they reviewed all of the information available as I expected before they put out thousands of dollars for this repair.

There was never any push-back on whether or not the repair would be done, the process was simply being followed. The dealership also went above and beyond to compensate me for being without my car for an extended period of time.

I just don't see GM wanting to take advantage of their customer. While my preference would be to never have experienced the broken lifter, GM and the dealership provided great response and got it fixed with the least amount of stress on me.

And just on a side note - my previous several vehicles were Ford and the experience with Chevy and Classic has been worlds above anything I saw with Ford.
That's the way it works when you keep it stock...

Seriously, how much does a valve cover gasket replacement cost at your local shop anyway...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #212
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Whether or not that is true that it caused the problem,(which by the I highly doubt, but that's beside my point) there is a TSB for this issue. Take care of the customer. Is GM, Ford or whomever within their right to deny warranty, based on how it is written? I thnk they probably are, but with a TSB involved they need to take care of that customer. Seriously, if that is not important to these companies, then eventually we will see them right back where they were.

This.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #213
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I found this in about 5 seconds of searching on the chevrolet website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

The important parts:

If you need it any clearer there is a "contact us" link that I am sure if you did contact they they would be willing to provide you with a warranty booklet spelling the whole deal out.
May want to look into contract law. If it's part of the contract, it needs to be an attachment..... don't leave it in my glovebox and say I should search the internet. I didn't buy the friggin' thing on ebay!

All my warranty issues were not a problem when I bought the SS for my wife during a warranty visit. I thought... hey GM has been great to me, so I bought it that day. I was denied warranty service the very next time it went to the dealer. GM got nearly $100,000 of my money.... while they were going through tough times.

The truck has a 6" lift reusing mostly all the GM parts, installed by a shop that has lifted well over 100 trucks for dealers.

My issue was not anthing to do with a tune or increased HP, because there is none.

I fixed the problem by changing the diff. fluid.... that's it! Stuck actuator in the front diff.!! GM could not even diagnose the problem correctly. Two different dealers with two different results.

Hey GM guys... tell me how a 6" lift can cause a stuck actuator.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #214
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Fuzzee dice! Do they void the powertrain warranty? Discuss among yourselves.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #215
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyaholic View Post
May want to look into contract law. If it's part of the contract, it needs to be an attachment..... don't leave it in my glovebox and say I should search the internet. I didn't buy the friggin' thing on ebay!

All my warranty issues were not a problem when I bought the SS for my wife during a warranty visit. I thought... hey GM has been great to me, so I bought it that day. I was denied warranty service the very next time it went to the dealer. GM got nearly $100,000 of my money.... while they were going through tough times.

The truck has a 6" lift reusing mostly all the GM parts, installed by a shop that has lifted well over 100 trucks for dealers.

My issue was not anthing to do with a tune or increased HP, because there is none.

I fixed the problem by changing the diff. fluid.... that's it! Stuck actuator in the front diff.!! GM could not even diagnose the problem correctly. Two different dealers with two different results.

Hey GM guys... tell me how a 6" lift can cause a stuck actuator.
I'm sorry but you seem to have a seriously distorted view of the world. You seem to have an expectation of the dealer to handhold you through the warranty process. When you buy a Stereo you know the warranty book is in the box, maybe they should staple it to the outside of the box for you.

The warranty is part of the purchase of the vehicle, because someone didn't hand you an attachment spelling out exactly what you can and can't do doesn't give you an exception to the rules of the warranty.

Hennessey and Lingenfelter have modded thousands of cars even for GM dealers, but GM is not gonna warranty a Hennessey car with a blower on top of the engine, no matter if the mods had nothing to do with the problem. Its the same thing on a smaller scale as your truck.

The rules are clear, mod the vehicle lose the warranty. It has nothing to do with whether your mod caused it, it has everything to do with the fact that when you mod your car you lose the warranty as per the terms of the warranty. Some dealers are willing to eat a repair especially a cheap one, to please a customer. Some aren't, not GM's fault.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #216
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
From the CEO's mouth:

"The New GM will be more customer focused"

I Guess that was just hot air. What he really meant was - too bad if we sold you a defective oil pump or output shaft if you were stupid enough to dyno tune your calibration. Want that defect fixed under warranty, the rules are clear - go **** yourself.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #217
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670

IBC ...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #218
Bobbyosto

Drives: 2013 Camaro & 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
From the CEO's mouth:

I Guess that was just hot air. What he really meant was - too bad if we sold you a defective oil pump or output shaft if you were stupid enough to dyno tune your calibration. Want that defect fixed under warranty, the rules are clear - go **** yourself.
Well said!
Bobbyosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #219
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
From the CEO's mouth:

yes it is consumer focused...it took the consumers tax money for the bailout
Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #220
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
From the CEO's mouth:

Read every manufacturer's warranty. Ford included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

IBC ...
My thoughts exactly

Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #221
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
From the CEO's mouth:

Want that defect fixed under warranty, the rules are clear.
Fixed that for you.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #222
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Read every manufacturer's warranty. Ford included.

I have read it. Let's look at the exact wording:

"Additionally General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts and/or calibrations. The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration."

Now explain to us how a non-GM calibration can damage or otherwise affected ... an oil pump?

Perfectly understandable if the non-GM calibration does cause damage or has otherwise affected some drivetrain part - your on your own... no question it's the customer's $$$ to fix.

But using their own wording above, what happens in the situation where the Non GM-parts and/or calibration has caused no damage or otherwise affected the part that has been diagnosed as defective?

Let's hear a rational explanation of why a clear factory defect would not be covered during the warranty terms. Not opinions such as - pay to play... but fact based rational using the exact warranty terminology.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #223
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
[QUOTE=Rogue Leader;3283255]I'm sorry but you seem to have a seriously distorted view of the world. QUOTE]

Please do not come on the C5 site to insult people. Others have been banned for this.

I've been asked not to discuss this issue at this time, but we WILL find out who has a better grip on reality. Thanks for the extra push I needed to get motivated.

In regards to the SS.... Would an air intake void the waranty? You know, the likes of the ones argued in the M-M act? How about exhaust modification, like cat back or shorties?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #224
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
I have read it. Let's look at the exact wording:

"Additionally General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts and/or calibrations. The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration."

Now explain to us how a non-GM calibration can damage or otherwise affected ... an oil pump?

Perfectly understandable if the non-GM calibration does cause damage or has otherwise affected some drivetrain part - your on your own... no question it's the customer's $$$ to fix.

But using their own wording above, what happens in the situation where the Non GM-parts and/or calibration has caused no damage or otherwise affected the part that has been diagnosed as defective?

Let's hear a rational explanation of why a clear factory defect would not be covered during the warranty terms. Not opinions such as - pay to play... but fact based rational using the exact warranty terminology.

You just answered your own question:

".....General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation....."

It has nothing to do with what broke on the engine. The warranty is worded to say if you use a non-GM calibration on the ECM the components affected by it (the complete engine) no longer is warrantied.

You can interpret it however you would like, but that is how GM is doing it, every day, and I'm sure there are people threatening lawsuits, and none of them are winning or we would have heard about it by now. Read the links I posted in reply to you earlier if you don't believe me.

Not only that, but EVERY other manufacturer has the same kind of clause in their warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyaholic View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry but you seem to have a seriously distorted view of the world.
Please do not come on the C5 site to insult people. Others have been banned for this.

I've been asked not to discuss this issue at this time, but we WILL find out who has a better grip on reality. Thanks for the extra push I needed to get motivated.
Leave the moderating to the moderators. Take it as an insult or however you want all I was commenting on was your irrational belief that the warranty should be spelled out in your face otherwise it doesn't apply.