Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
March 2008 Motor Trend

I came across an article in the March 2008 Motor Trend Magazine that says that the V-8 will be the first car produced, to be followed by the V-6. I'm sure not all the info is correct, but here is how it reads:

2009 Chevrolet Camaro

Chevy's nostalgic pony musclecar will leave the starting line well after it's rival Dodge - Camaro coupe production starts in February 2009, with a ragtop likely to follow in December. But maybe they're runnung a bracket race, with each car achieving similar sales at the finish line. Chevy envisions 65,000-70,000 initial sales, blooming to 100,000 when a V-6 comes online; Dodge totals are expected to be half that. Like the Challenger, the Camaro gets a proper B-pillar for crash-worthiness and a toned-down interior. Engine choices are likely to be cribbed from it's Pontiac G8 platformmate, including a 6.0-liter LS2 V-8 (perhaps juiced to 400 horses) with a range-topping 500-horse V-8 rumored to follow. The base engine should be a 3.6-liter V-6, but don't expect it to mimic 1969's rock-bottom pricing.
SUM UP: As Always, Camaro will likely outperform and undersell archrival Mustang.

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I've just an interesting idea, what if all the magazines that report on "rumored to be..."s actually get their rumors from sites like this? We cling to their reports yet they actually originate here....how funny would that be?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Sterling

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right. These sites do have more information than you can find anywhere else.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
HooliganZ

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
That article still claims the Camaro will have an LS2, which we all know will be out of production by the time the Camaro comes out. Seems like more speculation to me.
HooliganZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I came across an article in the March 2008 Motor Trend Magazine that says that the V-8 will be the first car produced, to be followed by the V-6. I'm sure not all the info is correct, but here is how it reads:

2009 Chevrolet Camaro

Chevy's nostalgic pony musclecar will leave the starting line well after it's rival Dodge - Camaro coupe production starts in February 2009, with a ragtop likely to follow in December. But maybe they're runnung a bracket race, with each car achieving similar sales at the finish line. Chevy envisions 65,000-70,000 initial sales, blooming to 100,000 when a V-6 comes online; Dodge totals are expected to be half that. Like the Challenger, the Camaro gets a proper B-pillar for crash-worthiness and a toned-down interior. Engine choices are likely to be cribbed from it's Pontiac G8 platformmate, including a 6.0-liter LS2 V-8 (perhaps juiced to 400 horses) with a range-topping 500-horse V-8 rumored to follow. The base engine should be a 3.6-liter V-6, but don't expect it to mimic 1969's rock-bottom pricing.
SUM UP: As Always, Camaro will likely outperform and undersell archrival Mustang.

That right there tells me this article has false information and has lost its credibility.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Sterling

It did say "likely" for the engine choices. So at least that part was speculation. Who knows about the rest of it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
That right there tells me this article has false information and has lost its credibility.
+1, Yup. I call it the 'LS2 test'.

how do you know if they're telling the truth, or a half-truth??
Simple: Do they say 'LS2'?

I mean, technically - it is the LS2; 6.0L, small-block, ect - but it's not. It's called the L76.

On that note......I remember reading that article in my Chevy dealer while waiting for the oil to be changed....(Cobalt has a funny filtering system that I haven't taken the time to learn yet, and it's cold out)...anyways, I remember reading that - but I don't remember the LS2 part. My mind must have corrected it without telling me 'cause I definitely thought it said L76.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Here some speculation from
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...-camaro-cheap/

GM product planners will heed calls to make the Camaro affordable and will offer a comparable lineup to Ford’s Mustang range by starting with a low cost entry-level V6 model. Execs at GM know the reason the Mustang is so successful is because it stayed true to its roots as a very affordable car to a very broad base of people, and now the General hopes to emulate this with its new Camaro.

Speaking with Automotive News, president of GM North America Troy Clarke told reporters that high-performance V8 models such as the Mustang Cobra and Shelby Mustang act as halo models and create a buzz that draws in customers to showrooms but at the end of the day it’s the more affordable V6 models that’s bringing in the profits.

The new Camaro coupe will eventually go on sale in February next year and followed by the convertible model roughly nine months later. Clarke revealed that both cars will get a base V6 engine, likely to be a 3.6L unit with about 281hp. Of course there will likely be limited edition V8 models as well.

“We know that the mission with the Camaro isn’t to create a specialty vehicle with a very narrow appeal that is very much subject to your wallet,” Clarke explained. “The concept of the car will evolve into a really fun-to-drive, stylish vehicle, as opposed to something that just breathes fire and has more cubic inches than the next guy.”

I doubt there will be LS2 engine since ls3 engine already replace it and it has been said that this is the last Gen IV small block (LS9 and LSA are based on LS3 block also).
But i'm curios..if gen V engine come in camaro will there be ls8 engine (which is also rumored to be based on ls3 engine and to be top engine for camaro) or will new top engine for camaro be based on gen V so we will have to wait even longer.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
Here some speculation from
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...-camaro-cheap/

GM product planners will heed calls to make the Camaro affordable and will offer a comparable lineup to Ford’s Mustang range by starting with a low cost entry-level V6 model. Execs at GM know the reason the Mustang is so successful is because it stayed true to its roots as a very affordable car to a very broad base of people, and now the General hopes to emulate this with its new Camaro.

Speaking with Automotive News, president of GM North America Troy Clarke told reporters that high-performance V8 models such as the Mustang Cobra and Shelby Mustang act as halo models and create a buzz that draws in customers to showrooms but at the end of the day it’s the more affordable V6 models that’s bringing in the profits.

The new Camaro coupe will eventually go on sale in February next year and followed by the convertible model roughly nine months later. Clarke revealed that both cars will get a base V6 engine, likely to be a 3.6L unit with about 281hp. Of course there will likely be limited edition V8 models as well.

“We know that the mission with the Camaro isn’t to create a specialty vehicle with a very narrow appeal that is very much subject to your wallet,” Clarke explained. “The concept of the car will evolve into a really fun-to-drive, stylish vehicle, as opposed to something that just breathes fire and has more cubic inches than the next guy.”

I doubt there will be LS2 engine since ls3 engine already replace it and it has been said that this is the last Gen IV small block (LS9 and LSA are based on LS3 block also).
But i'm curios..if gen V engine come in camaro will there be ls8 engine (which is also rumored to be based on ls3 engine and to be top engine for camaro) or will new top engine for camaro be based on gen V so we will have to wait even longer.
Nice article. I'm glad they KNOW that it has to be Mustang-affordable. I mean, we've been told 'Keep the Faith', and such - and I have - but it's nice to get some "concrete" articles with quotes like this.

IF, and that's a big 'if'. IF the Gen V goes into the Camaro...I don't think they'd hesitate to put a monster GenIV into the Top Dog...hp is hp, especially when you breach into that realm of power.....
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Jimbo88mm

Drives: 95 Lumina, 99 Maxima
There is no way the base v6 is going to be a 3.6l 280 hp engine. That would push the price too high. I would expect to see either the 3.5 or 3.9 210-240hp if they want to keep the base around $22k.
Jimbo88mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo88mm View Post
There is no way the base v6 is going to be a 3.6l 280 hp engine. That would push the price too high. I would expect to see either the 3.5 or 3.9 210-240hp if they want to keep the base around $22k.
But look at what new vehicles are using those engines - pretty much none. The 3.6 is becoming the default V6 for most GM products.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i hope they arent a very reliable souce. putting the 6.0 in it almost seems like backtracking since they already have the 6.2 in the vettes. God i hope this isnt right.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
what about that statement shows its lack of credability??? maybe im lost or been away too long.
i hope you are right that this is a false statement but last we knew there were no motor statistics or conformations/denials out there. right??
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i hope they arent a very reliable souce. putting the 6.0 in it almost seems like backtracking since they already have the 6.2 in the vettes. God i hope this isnt right.
Why? You're really hung up on this displacement thing, aren't you? (Not being rude)

If the 6 is a better engine...who cares? I've said it before...If one of the Gen V's is 5.3L, and pumps out 400hp, versus a 6.0 doing the same thing - I'm as happy as I'll ever be.

backtracking only counts if there is no advancement in the technology.

(So, like going from an LS3 back down to an LS1: Then we'd have a problem!)

In this case, there is a GREAT amount of technological advancement...You never expected to see 7.0L become standard motors did you? Those are massive! I have a good feeling that 7L was the hump on the V8 engine curve. They're going to get smaller, but become MUCH more potent!!