Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
How old are the two cars you referenced? Vert tops do wear and end up looking like crap - but after years not months. Mine started wearing 3 weeks after purchase. I have seen several new Camaro verts on lots with rub marks from the factory.

If they start looking bad in the first 500 miles they are really going to look bad a lot sooner than most. My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
All I can say is that my friend has a mustang with the cloth top and it has the same problems rub marks and all. I saw a newer Nissan Z with a black cloth top the other day and the top looked like crap (worse than any I have seen). I think if anyone was going to review tops you would find that they are all the same!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfan22 View Post
How old are the two cars you referenced? Vert tops do wear and end up looking like crap - but after years not months. Mine started wearing 3 weeks after purchase. I have seen several new Camaro verts on lots with rub marks from the factory.

If they start looking bad in the first 500 miles they are really going to look bad a lot sooner than most. My 2 cents
Not to mention leaks, holes worn through and broken bows (with denials of responsibility on GM's part). And the fact that my 4 other verts did not have these rub mark problems (though with age they had plenty of other problems, lol). But let's not go down that road. That subject has been bantied about for quite some time, throughout this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If Consumer Reports reports the issue, it still won't fix anyone's top. I don't see how this produces any results to be honest.
I don't think that is the intention. The intention would be for consumers to be able make informed decisions about their purchase (as the Consumer Report model is said to do. They position themselves as a company that will warn you about quality and problems that are associated with a product. Their motto says it all, "Test , Inform, Protect"). The "results" would be that the consumer can make an informed decision, being aware that there is an issue with the tops.

It just plays into the "bury the issue" concept that has been prevalent throughout these problems.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Sadly, the name of CR fails to reflect the reality of what goes on there. How many pro-Honda reviews can you write? They seem to have a serious bias issue over there.
They are starting to get down on Honda also. (Rightfully so) But it is strange how the review mags say nothing. Wonder what advertising revenue has to do with it?
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
All I can say is that my friend has a mustang with the cloth top and it has the same problems rub marks and all. I saw a newer Nissan Z with a black cloth top the other day and the top looked like crap (worse than any I have seen). I think if anyone was going to review tops you would find that they are all the same!
Any top will have fold marks if you leave it down all the time. But how many of the others have holes in them? Probably none.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
If you guys are Consumer Reports members like me... you should consider completing the survey on your camaro and be honest about the tops. I also added a review telling buyers to beware.
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Simply put, follow the money!
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
Simply put, follow the money!
x2.....that's what I meant when I said 'politics'

Grease the right palm and things are swept under the rug.......
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlar View Post
If you guys are Consumer Reports members like me... you should consider completing the survey on your camaro and be honest about the tops. I also added a review telling buyers to beware.
I was a member, and wrote a long list of complaints about my Subaru. ( a real nightmare) Never even heard back, and never saw any negatives in the mag either. I wonder if they cherry-pick also.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #23
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Blame the Dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfan22 View Post
I have seen several new Camaro verts on lots with rub marks from the factory.
Those tops are not rubbed from the factory. That's from the dealer dropping the top and leaving it down on the lot, in the showroom, or on test drives.
I saw mine roll off the trailer without a single mark or a ripple.
Down twice since then...but never again.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Why? One possible reason: lawsuits. Bad reviews and fault identification by car review companies = loss of sales $$$ for car manufacturers. Although I understand, it doesn't make me feel any better. Driving around with the top down does, though. :-) Still need to bring Catherine in for adjustments and 2nd gear grind, slight depressions but no holes or significant wear yet @2,850 miles. Love this car - but do I want to risk top ownership after the warranty expires? The jury is still out.