Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #71
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
I'll stick with my modded SS. I take more pride in knowing I upgraded it to be better than stock. It's like, my car now. Not just another red SS. Get a few red ZL1s together. Who is whos?

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #72
Bumble Beast
American Muscle

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/TF3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
He already owns his car......and my car will run away from a ZL1 in a straight line like it was towing a camper. If starting from scratch I would positively say buy the ZL1...you are way ahead starting with that but if you already have an SS then you will lose another 10-15k on the trade and depreciation...at LEAST.

The difference maker to me, is whether you already own an SS to build.
Makes plenty of sense to me. I really wanted the ZL1 originally, but wasn't patient enough to wait, plus it was a tad out of my price range. I'm in love with my car now, so I probably wouldn't trade it. It gains more character every day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumble Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #73
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
ZL1 is a track car from my understanding...not a drag car.

As others have said before... You can mod anything to go damn fast. There's Civics that will beat these cars talked about.

Both cars would be awesome to have!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #74
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
To each their own. spend the 20k lose on longevity of your drivetrain and warranty.

you better be racing for a lot of pinks to be able to fix that car up every time it breaks.
Thats the thing about modding the SS the mods are usually cheaper then the stock parts. Hell my stronger driveshaft was only 800 bucks. So was my stronger twin disc clutch.

WHat i remember alot of zl1 fans saying when this debate started a year ago or so is we have warranty and you guys don't. Now they are talking mods ........ guess what you pulley swap and warranty go bye bye, welcome to the club guys we been waiting for ya lol.

and on the last note here you think breaking shit on a zl1 will be cheap? Hell you guys are driving an experimental car, your modding is gonna be way more expensive then ours when you lose your warranties and things break.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #75
nextphase2000
2010 2SS - 445 RWH

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro - 445 RWHP
I have a 5th Gen SS and I'm still making payments on it. I would love to have a ZL1 if I were buying from scratch but I've done some mods to mine and it's really nice being part of a exclusive club of people that not only Have a Camaro 5th Gen but have done something special to make it their own. My SS will eventually have a magnacharger added, hopefully within the next couple of months, but currently I'm putting out 445 rearwheel horsepower and if I'm not mistaken that's very comparable to a stock ZL1 (please correct me if I'm wrong about my figure comparison). My son was pointing out on television a Lamborghini and it made me look this car up. From specs alone I've got it beat by 30 hp. Now I wouldn't turn down that Lamborghini over my car any day of the week but the bottom line is I own my car and I love it. It's the envy of many of my friends and that's all that's important to me because I don't race on the track personlly. Most of the time I actually have a chance to show my power is driving down the road with a Mustang or another Camaro or some other car beside me. The magnetic ride control of the ZL1 would be sweet to have case it new and improved but I don't find myself slaloming around a race track on very regular basis so for my purposes alone modifying my SS is the right fit for me. I know my warranty's gone on the powertrain but all the bells and whistles are still covered so I'll just keep plugging along and make sure that the build is solid so I've got many thousands of miles to go. Just my two cents and please, that doesn't mean that I'm taking sides because I would love to have a ZL1 if I were starting from scratch. I'd still have to make it 'mine' though and that wouldn't be cheap esp starting out $60k stock.
2010 2SS 445 RWHP - DOD/AFM Delete kit - Stage 2C cam - CNC valve job - Ported the intake & TB - CNC Ported Stage 2 L92 Heads - ARP Head Bolts - MLS Head Gaskets - Hardened Pushrods - GMPP LS7 Lifters - LS2 Lifter guide kit - LS2 Valley Cover - Valve Cover Breather Block-Off - LS7 Camshaft Sprocket - Timing Chain Dampener - PCV Hose for Non-DOD applications and Timing Cover w/ Sensor - ARP Timing Chain Bolts - Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers and mid pipes w/high flow cats - PI 2400 Single Disc Stall Converter - Livernios custom tune.
nextphase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supercharged 2010 camaro, zl1