Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
ZL1 Wheel Costs

So I'm browsing GM Parts Direct website to see if the ZL1 wheels are listed there yet or not. Well they are and they have prices listed too. The part I find ironic is when you look at the prices of the wheels by themselves the black wheels have a higher list price than the bright aluminum wheels. But when you order a ZL1 the bright aluminum wheel option is an up charge from the standard black wheels. So GM is selling you the optional wheel package for an increased charge even though the wheels themselves appear to cost GM less money. I've attached a screen shot of the online prices shown. The RSK wheels are the black wheels and the RTQ wheels are the aluminum wheels.
Attached Images

Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
i was wondering that myself?
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
The black wheels are harder to get, there is a higher demand for them. I had one replaced on my ZL1 today and there was only 2 places across the whole US that even had any.
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Be careful about GM Parts Direct prices. They often show extremely low prices and then when you go to pay for them, the shipping charges are outrageous.

I quit even looking at that site for parts. I just order stuff from MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet now. She quotes me the delivered price. (No this isn't spam and I'm in no way affiliated with Rodger's Chevy. It's just my opinion from my own experience.)
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Be careful about GM Parts Direct prices. They often show extremely low prices and then when you go to pay for them, the shipping charges are outrageous.

I quit even looking at that site for parts. I just order stuff from MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet now. She quotes me the delivered price. (No this isn't spam and I'm in no way affiliated with Rodger's Chevy. It's just my opinion from my own experience.)
I agree 100%. I used gm parts direct before I knew of other places for my transformers things and got charged 50 bucks to ship each order. Lesson learned
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Nick S

I know the shipping can be a little extreme. But they do show what the dealer list prices are and I was just looking at the comparison of list prices for each style wheel and made the observations noted in my original post. I just found it interesting that GM lists the optional upcharge wheel option as costing less per wheel than the standard wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
The black wheels are harder to get, there is a higher demand for them. I had one replaced on my ZL1 today and there was only 2 places across the whole US that even had any.
I disagree with your theory on the price differences for this. I'm sure GM set the list prices well before there was any perceived demand for one over the other. If GM adjusted prices of their parts based on demand then you would always see the list prices changing with demand. But I'll bet those list prices stay the same for at least the rest of this year until GM revises their annual published pricing list.

I think the black wheels probably do cost GM more because they have to be put through a painting and painting prep process. The bright aluminum wheels are probably mostly just cast finish with the faces of the spokes smoothed out and then they probably just clear coat the wheels.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
So, how do I read this? If I wanted to order a second set of rims, say the bright aluminum, how much would it cost?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
I agree 100%. I used gm parts direct before I knew of other places for my transformers things and got charged 50 bucks to ship each order. Lesson learned
for the hell of it I requested a shipping quote GM Parts direct quoted me $135 each per wheel to ship
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I disagree with your theory on the price differences for this. I'm sure GM set the list prices well before there was any perceived demand for one over the other. If GM adjusted prices of their parts based on demand then you would always see the list prices changing with demand. But I'll bet those list prices stay the same for at least the rest of this year until GM revises their annual published pricing list.

I think the black wheels probably do cost GM more because they have to be put through a painting and painting prep process. The bright aluminum wheels are probably mostly just cast finish with the faces of the spokes smoothed out and then they probably just clear coat the wheels.
The silver wheels are the ONLY exclusive wheels for the ZL1. So you pay more for that. The black ones are shared with the 1LE adn who knows what else - unfortunately. I have the black one and they look awesome. I get many compliments for them. I saw the silver ones and i personally think they're ugly...
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
for the hell of it I requested a shipping quote GM Parts direct quoted me $135 each per wheel to ship
Are they sending it to you in a lamborgini?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Nick S

Compare that to the list price you would pay at a dealer and even with shipping it's still quite a bit cheaper per wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
So, how do I read this? If I wanted to order a second set of rims, say the bright aluminum, how much would it cost?
You would need to order 2 of each of the RTQ wheels.
Quantity of 2 - 20x10 RTQ's
Quantity of 2 - 20x11 RTQ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Just curious, did you put a total of 4 wheels on the order and then ask for a shipping quote or did you just put one wheel on the order and ask for a quote? Sometimes the shipping charges don't necessarily double just because you put 2 of the same item on the order.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Compare that to the list price you would pay at a dealer and even with shipping it's still quite a bit cheaper per wheel.
Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet has free shipping on any/all parts you buy from her.

Just saying.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
The silver wheels are the ONLY exclusive wheels for the ZL1. So you pay more for that. The black ones are shared with the 1LE adn who knows what else - unfortunately. I have the black one and they look awesome. I get many compliments for them. I saw the silver ones and i personally think they're ugly...
They are only exclusive to the ZL1 if GM denies people from ordering them through the parts department.

So to me the exclusivity of them is not what you are paying more for. When the black wheels first came out on the 2012 ZL1 they were also exclusive to only the ZL1 for that production year. I think GM is banking on the assumption that more people would choose to upgrade to the bright aluminum for the looks so they could make more money by selling those as the "up charge" option on the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet has free shipping on any/all parts you buy from her.

Just saying.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind!

BTW I was never trying to promote GMPD or any reseller. I was only using GMPD because they will show the list price. I just used GMPD as a convenient way to see if the wheels were available anywhere yet and had prices on them. I'm sure there are better deals out there for sources that won't charge so much shipping.