Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Question Is your Stillen(Street Scene) side skirts paint wearing in duct area? Easy fix inside

From what I've seen in pictures of other Camaro's that have the Stillen (aka Street Scene) side skirts, many people have the wearing of paint inside the same ducting area. So, this is a very easy way to fix the eye-sore that it is, it provides protection from future wear, as well as make it stand-out in a good, unique way. I used plasti-dip for it's easy of use, and spray application with easy clean-up if overspray occurs. How many of you have this same issue on the same portion of the side skirt?

So, over the weekend, I figured I'd do two plasti-dip projects that I have wanted to do for a little while now. Two of the things I wanted to do was....

1.) Plasti-dip the small corner inside my Street Scene (aka Stillen) side skirts becuase the paint keeps thinning, wearing away, and looking horrible. There is a small triangular section of the side skirt that I taped off following the lines (and coming slightly forward with it as well). I plasti-dipped this section black to make it seem as if I meant to have it painted that way originally (and I wish I did, lol). It now provides great dimension, and it looks as if it goes straight through the side skirt, almost like an air duct. The taping off is the most timing consuming part because the lines needed to be followed perfectly, as well as be rounded, not squared. Also, when you paint, it's difficult to lay on the plast-dip heavily without it running because you need full coverage, but also need to get it on quickly so the tape can be peeled off before the plasti-dip dries.

2.) Plasti-dip my rear SS emblem black to provide a little contrast. The SS emblem was originally chrome on the outside and white in the middle, but it faded into the hood too easily and went unnoticeable.

Overall, I am very happy with the way it turned out, and it'll provide some protection from the elements and future chipping on the side skirts.

Below are some pictures of the plastidipped side skirt duct. You can see the paint is wearing away, as the black color is NOT dirt, but I wish it was. You can also see where I touched up a lot of it in past with Summit White touch-up paint. It was even worse before the touch-up paint.

Here is one side taped up and ready to plasti-dip:

Here is the other side taped up (this side, the paint chipping it much more noticeable, but that's because I was vinyl wrapping it instead of plasti-dipping originally, and when I removed the vinyl wrap slowly, it lifted much more paint ):

Here is the side skirts after plasti-dipping them with the matte black spray:

Here are some pictures of the plasti-dipped SS emblem:

It looks a ton better than it did before, and it's certainly better than paying to get the whole side skirts painted again for the time being. I may go with other side skirts anyhow, as the Stillen side skirts needed a lot more prep work to fit correctly then they should have, but they happened to have to appearance I wanted in a side skirt, therefore I purchased it anyway.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Is that a vinyl on the rear? and how did you black the bezels? They look great on the white. Im looking to do that to mine minus the gold bow tie
mattsfirstSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
Is that a vinyl on the rear? and how did you black the bezels? They look great on the white. Im looking to do that to mine minus the gold bow tie
The blackout on the whole rear fascia is vinyl wrapped in gloss black via MNP Customs. As for the taillight bezels, I had our Camaro5 vendor Lupe from Overhaulengines paint them gloss black for me. At the same time, I installed the Technostalgia LED taillights, so I didn't have to remove the bezels twice and risk breaking a clip or two, or tearing into the gloss black vinyl rear black-out. If you need more pictures, look through my build thread until you find some of the rear with the gloss black fascia black-out. It really enhances the look of the whole car, and provides some depth.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
The blackout on the whole rear fascia is vinyl wrapped in gloss black via MNP Customs. As for the taillight bezels, I had our Camaro5 vendor Lupe from Overhaulengines paint them gloss black for me. At the same time, I installed the Technostalgia LED taillights, so I didn't have to remove the bezels twice and risk breaking a clip or two, or tearing into the gloss black vinyl rear black-out. If you need more pictures, look through my build thread until you find some of the rear with the gloss black fascia black-out. It really enhances the look of the whole car, and provides some depth.
Thanks for the info bud.
mattsfirstSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
TCAT

Absolutely! Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The black faux intake looks ghetto, because it looks hand-painted.

I would get black vinyl wrap, and cut it to fit. Vinyl wrap shops could easily do it and it would look very professional. There's no point investing in these side skirts and putting all this effort only to have it look like a hack job ricer kit.

The finish is what differentiates a fine car from a cheap car. Take a look some time at an Aston Martin. They have the same plastic bumper, same chromed plastic light housing etc as every other car, but their parts look far more "expensive" - why? Because of how they're finished.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
The black faux intake looks ghetto, because it looks hand-painted.

I would get black vinyl wrap, and cut it to fit. Vinyl wrap shops could easily do it and it would look very professional. There's no point investing in these side skirts and putting all this effort only to have it look like a hack job ricer kit.

The finish is what differentiates a fine car from a cheap car. Take a look some time at an Aston Martin. They have the same plastic bumper, same chromed plastic light housing etc as every other car, but their parts look far more "expensive" - why? Because of how they're finished.
Man, that's why it's temporary. It's far from a "hacker job" though. I'd rather have black in the ducting that surrounds the whole housing to purposely be there via painting or plasti-dip, instead of paint defects showing. That's for damn sure. I tried vinyl, and didn't like the way it looked because it takes too much shape of the defects underneath, and therefore becomes bumpy, and unsightly. This was an easy, faster, and effective temporary solution to hide the eye sore in the side skirts.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
sub zero

Drives: RED@2SS
good job

i'm thinking if u install some lights into this hole it'll come cool also , i saw some car did like this before it was nice..
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
TCAT

Great idea, thank you. That can definitely be done easily. I'll start thinking of some ideas and talk to the shop as well. I really appreciate it.