Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Questions about exhaust diameters

At what point is a 3 inch exhaust worth having, and at what point would you consider it a necessity? Is there a good reason NOT to get the larger diameter?

My '10 SS is my daily driver and I was planning to keep my 'build' simple with full bolt ons and a cam, but no FI. After reading about driveability issues with cam setups I'm starting to ponder a blower, so I thought I better learn up on the benefits of a 3" system before I blow $1k+ on a cat back that I may just have to replace again down the road.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys!
MattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
There is no wrong point to go to 3 inch. You can do it on a stock car. It will just give the exhaust a deeper tone. Where is starts to become a necessity depends on a lot of factors but you really need to be flowing a lot of air. It would depend on a lot of factors but it would probably need to be FI and pushing 700rwhp.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
There is no wrong point to go to 3 inch. You can do it on a stock car. It will just give the exhaust a deeper tone. Where is starts to become a necessity depends on a lot of factors but you really need to be flowing a lot of air. It would depend on a lot of factors but it would probably need to be FI and pushing 700rwhp.
+1. Do have a picture of that girl standing up ... Lol.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Thanks for the info! I don't expect I'll ever go that far, so it looks like my original plan still stands. Time to order me some Solo's before the wife spends our life savings on a new bathroom!
MattSS is offline   Reply With Quote