Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I'm not seeing the drastic "concave" of these wheels compared to the OEMs. Just not seeing it.
The Concept (Bumblebee) style wheels are at least 1 inch deeper. Other than that they are very similar.

Here's how to see the difference. The production Camaro spokes and the Concept spokes share two angular surfaces. The surface closest to the lugs are roughly the same on both. However, the surface after the bend that meets the rim lip, is flat on the production wheels.

You can run a yard still flat across an top of the Production wheel, outer spoke to a bottom of the wheel, outer spoke and the stick will stay flat against both surfaces.

On the Concept you cannot do that. The outer spoke angle is more concave.

Some rough measurement crunching on the Concept 22 puts that around a 1 to 1-1/2 inch deeper wheel. Perhaps not drastic, but most definatley more concave.

I would buy repro Camaro Concepts wheels.

P.S. Some people have suggested that they didnt make them wider / deeper in order to cut costs. But, I suspect it has more to do with modern standard axle widths than anything. Who knows.

Last edited by SabotAndHeat; 04-26-2013 at 07:56 AM.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabotAndHeat View Post

P.S. Some people have suggested that they didnt make them wider / deeper in order to cut costs. But, I suspect it has more to do with modern standard axle widths than anything. Who knows.
From the picture you posted I would say they lost the room to make the wheel more concave when they tucked them in more on the production wheel. If you push the wheel 20mm out to the edge of the wheel well you gain that inch back for concaveness (if that is a word)!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Jbcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
Well, whatever the reasons are.... I still wish it were possible to get the concept rims. For some reason I just love them more. They help make the car imho.. Thanks
Jbcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
The Original BumbleBee was a GTO. They are probably more concave in order to match with the body panels they attached to make it look like a Camaro.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Jbcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
Thanks SummoneR, i wasnt thinking.But what about the concept camaro ?. Not bumblebee... They get those two confused so much. The concept camaro was not made off a gto, bumblebee was but not the concept and that's what I'm curious about so I don't see how it would be a problem to have these rims if a company would somehow make them .
Jbcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Good point.
I'm not sure then, The concave is barely noticeable, no on has done it probably because they are too close to the OEM wheels to notice, but they d make replicas why not make one that's concave. I like the 5 spoke look of the OEM's a concave version would be nice.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
SabotAndHeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
From the picture you posted I would say they lost the room to make the wheel more concave when they tucked them in more on the production wheel. If you push the wheel 20mm out to the edge of the wheel well you gain that inch back for concaveness (if that is a word)!

I actually have 22mm Eibach wheel adapters on the rear (and 25mm's on the front.)

It does push the wheels back to being flush with the fenders like the Concept. But, it doesnt change the shape or concave nature of the production wheels in anyway shape or form. The only reason the production wheels are tucked under more is because the are not as deep as the concept wheels...as pictured.

P.S. The Eibach adapters work great and look great. If you get any...insure they are hubcentric and specific for the Camaro.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
did you change out the studs for those adapters?
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
SabotAndHeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz28 View Post
did you change out the studs for those adapters?
No.

I had to take a grinding wheel and cut the rears down. However, that sounds a lot worse than it is because the studs have a non-threaded (unusable) tip about a half inch long.

Once they were cut, the shallower, 22mm adapters allowed the rear wheels to fit flush and mount with no issues.

Super easy, looks great. Just insure you get good ones. A lot is riding on them.