Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
The only way to do this properly would be to replace your LS engine with an L89 427 from 1967, complete with tri-power and distributor setup. That don't need no stinkin' computer.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
It can't be done without completely changing over the electronic engine control. The traction control, etc. is all tied in with thee ECM. In fact, all of the electronic modules on the car are networked together. You can't change anything in that structure without breaking the function of another system.

As for the Mustang guy that couldn't cut his usual light, you simply need to adjust your launch. No different than if you've changed a suspension, driveline, or engine component. Plenty of guys in those cars can cut a quick light. To blame it on the DBW isn't a good defense.

I know some guys could get used to it and cut better lights, I was simply throwing out averages. I could not get used to the lag, I needed the driver mod lol.

in the 04 on sportsman tree, I would hit the throttle when the last amber is lit. With my 07 on a sportsman, I had to hit the throttle inbetween the second amber going off and third amber lighting up to cut a decent light. more seat time would have helped for sure. But I I know if I could do back to back to passes I could cut better lights in a cable throttle then wire
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
I personally HATE the DBW! I don't lift on shifts, and I can hear the TB closing the moment the clutch pedal is depressed (there's a switch at the top, that also controls the cruise control turning off). I can hit the next gear and be out of the clutch before the TB opens back up, which then lurches the car. It's even more noticeable now that I have gears in the back. I miss the days of wide-open, full-throttle power shifts!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
Mikes2nd

Drives: 1970 Pontiac GTO
bump from the past...

I will be running a drive by cable in my 70 GTO with the LS3... I have all the 2004 GTO stuff... LS1 computer and harness and 2004 GTO interior.

I hear the Challenger guys complaining about the decal and accel of drive by wire...

The swap isn't pretty, but I had a 2004 GTO as a donor...
Mikes2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Not many things are impossible depending on how much money you have to spend, but this is. The engine management system/ECM is engineered for drive by wire from the start, there is no such thing as a "conversion" with any car with DBW.

If you were to remove the gas pedal on DBW systems, which has about 10 wires in a harness that plugs into a harness that goes to your ECM, and replace it with one that uses a cable, you will have check engine lights all over the place and an engine that may not even start. The gas pedal in your car now is actually an electronic potentiometer, like a volume knob on modern stereos. As you press your foot down, it takes the input voltage from the ECM and increases it. The difference in voltages is what the ECM uses to increase timing, fuel/air delivery, and everything else.

It's really completely computer controlled. You cannot operate your engine without the DBW gas pedal installed.

In other words this does not make a good post apocalyptic dooms day get around vehicle, need an old carburetor '69 for that. A 5th gen Mad Max will not be riding around in
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #20
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
The throttle response is there when you need it. It would just smoke off the tires all day if it had a cable throttle and no traction control.

You want to rev your engine at stoplights and stuff, well the ECM knows that isn't necessary so it's not quick on the throttle response when you try to do that. Ask your tuner there are probably some settings they can adjust to speed up the delay a little bit.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanamhb View Post
The gas pedal in your car now is actually an electronic potentiometer, like a volume knob on modern stereos.

Yes that is true but just because you have it to the floor does not mean the butterfly is wide open. The ecm has total control over the throttle servo motor. The system regulates airflow automatically when you tell it to do something the engine doesn't need, such as being WOT at 2000 rpm or tapping on your gas pedal, dancing on your gas pedal there will always be lag. They are programmed to take your foot input as a suggestion. Most of the time it is doing exactly what you tell it to do though if you are driving the car correctly. This system along with the ECM also operates the cruise control function.