Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

View Poll Results: would you be interested in a parameter tracking system
yes, the whole shabang! for ~ 2-3k 0 0%
yes, I want to start small off (~ $500) and extend piece by piece 6 100.00%
no, I have a system in place and thats enough or use an app onlly 0 0%
no, useless crap 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
would you be interested in a parameter tracking system

I know 2D systems, Bosch Motorsport and a few others offer a variety of systems.

My company is currently looking to develop as system for racing enthusiast.
So thinking of me, as the cheapo i am, I'd like to have some data analyzing capabilities... without spending several grand.

What's there already? You can download an app for your phone and have your lap times, (lean angles for bikes) and position recorded. Quite neat and almost for free. The quality - not so good.

For a couple grand you get the big names, like the race teams use and get whatever you want (e.g. VBox)

This is where the hobby racer and the trackday guy comes in. He might what to know what his suspension is doing, how hard he is really braking, boost levels, where he lost traction, what the ECU values are, what the track conditions are but all without the "several thousand $"

The system could contain: data collecting unit, wires, separate dash (smartphone), video function, several add on sensors (travel, steering angle, brake pressure, tire temperature, IAT’s,track temperature ...) , all data from the OBD, GPS, gyro, (lean angle), tire pressure
I just wanted to check in here who might be interested in an expandable, reasonable priced system and what your opinions are, what it should contain.

thanks a lot for your help. If it comes out, there will be a forum discount ;-)
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Video with gauge overlay to start as the most basic of setups.
Then gps, mph and g's that can be plotted to evaluate runs, entry/exit speeds, etc.
I think there's plenty of expensive systems, the question is can it be done more cheaply or more easily in phases as peoples skills grow and then they can grow the system with module integration.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
This ^^^^
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Thats the idea. To bring an affordable system on the market which you can expand depending on your requirements (e.g drag racing, road course, motorcycling....) without having multiple different gauges

I myself bought the VBox Lite to record my track days. I like the gauge overlays and the software which helps you analyze your track timing is pretty good. Is it worth 2k's. Not really.

Many Systems which are currrently on the market require you to buy hardware you already have.

E.g. why not use a system which you can use with your current camera system ( e.g. GoPro). Being able to use your smartphone as Display or even the HUD.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote