Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Ported Throttle Body First Impression

First of all I bought this as soon a APEX went out of stock so I had to wait longer than their usual speedy shipping. I got an email saying they would be shipped out within a week but a few days later I got my tracking number and it arrived today. Install was simple, the bottom right bolt was a small pain to get off but only took a few more seconds. Overall install time was about 5-10 minutes, half was me talking to my dad who was watching me. I do feel a little pick up when I press on the pedal, it's less "laggy" I would say but I don't feel a whole lot of a difference like many users have experienced. I do feel like I have more lower end torque and a couple of horses but nothing too noticeable. I did only take a 15 minute drive afterwards to feel the changes but honestly I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll get more feel out of the car after I get a tune or after driving a few more times but as of now it's an okay mod. I'll have an update on this later to see if I feel any different about this but I felt much more gain after the Black Ice-Olator install.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
I don't think I was too impressed with it, either, when I got mine. Since it's been so long that I first got it on I find that I think less and less of it. I'm curious to know if anyone has done before and after dyno's or track times with just the PTB.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
You are not going to be able to feel the Power, it doesn't do that. It will help with throttle response; ESPECIALLY, idle to low-mid RPM.

I notice mine the most while shifting in slower traffic. much easier to ease into the next gear.

You'll never pick this mod up on a dyno test...it contributes less power than the margin of error of your reading...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
ryanb910

I knew that I wouldn't feel more powerful with this mod but I really don't see the better gear changes in the lower rpm or less of a "dead spot" everyone talks about. If someone had installed this on my car without telling me I would have never noticed.
ryanb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Swarm

Drives: 2013 Mustang V6
people tend to hype up ANY mod they purchase and install on their cars.

[BBK LT Headers] [Trifecta Tune] [Injen Intake] [Black Iceloater] [MRT V2 Exhaust] [Sold]

Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
ryanb910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
people tend to hype up ANY mod they purchase and install on their cars.
Yeah I agree but with the number of reviews I read I thought it more than just hype.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
are you manual or auto? I have manual, and like I said, i notice it most when shifting in low throttle scenarios. Honestly, to me it feels like the gas pedal is "softer"...if that makes sense.

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Swarm

Drives: 2013 Mustang V6
TB on this engine gives no HP if i am correct, just makes it respond better or something

[BBK LT Headers] [Trifecta Tune] [Injen Intake] [Black Iceloater] [MRT V2 Exhaust] [Sold]

Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
I don't think I was too impressed with it, either, when I got mine. Since it's been so long that I first got it on I find that I think less and less of it. I'm curious to know if anyone has done before and after dyno's or track times with just the PTB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
TB on this engine gives no HP if i am correct, just makes it respond better or something
I think I saw on the dynos that it gave like 3hp but there's just no way you can feel that small difference. It's really only a mod for throttle response. I can't comment on how good it is because I opted not to get one since I feel no lag after my vararam and ported manifold.

The PTB won't help at the track.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
ryanb910

I have an auto and I was looking to somewhat kill the dead spot even though I know that's not fully possible. The throttle response really isn't any different. I guess that Ported IM was the better choice?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I don't know, I noticed a massive reduction in the "deadspot" when I added my vararam. The MACE insulator and the ported manifold got rid of whatever was left.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb910 View Post
I knew that I wouldn't feel more powerful with this mod but I really don't see the better gear changes in the lower rpm or less of a "dead spot" everyone talks about. If someone had installed this on my car without telling me I would have never noticed.
If you want to get rid of that dead spot, you'll have to pair it with at least a ported intake manifold. Add a spacer/insulator to the mix, and you'll definitely feel an increase in power.
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
On the V6 LLT only 3-4 rwhp peak, not a lot, but from idle to 2400 the tq is quite noticeable, and the dead spot will either totally disappear or nearly disappear from 1200-2400 with the TB alone (with 91093 octane especially).

On the LFX the power/tq is nearly twice the LLT and eliminates the dead spot, and V8 8-12 rwhp (more on the corvette as the Camaro CAI has a 90* turn) and we just finished testing the LY7 V6 version for a solid 10 rwhp and 12 rwtq and eliminated the dead spot.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Idk about everyone else but when I installed my PTB it took care of my dead spot completely....