Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Strange Things Going On

I was detailing my car over the weekend and I had some strange problems. I tried to start the car when I was done and the DIC had a "service theft deterrent system" message and the car would not turn over. I figured that maybe since I had the doors and trunk open for an extended period of time maybe it set something off. I tried arming and disarming the system and even disconnecting the battery and nothing. I called the local Chevy garage and they said they had not heard of this before and to try charging the battery, but if that doesn't work have it towed in. Charging the battery didn't help, so I tried searching the good old camaro5 forums and I see some other people have had trouble with the theft deterrent systems, but the fix involved replacing keys and receivers. Luckily, someone mentioned that these systems are so sensitive that even power lines can affect them and the lightbulb went off.

When I was working on the car I installed an aluminum trim ring around the ignition. This is a polished aluminum piece that a friend made me to cover up some scratches that some bozo put in the plastic on a test drive. I was really happy with the way it looked, but I was afraid the trim piece might be interfering with some type of transmitter in the key and sure enough when I removed the ring the car started right up.

Even when the ring was removed and the car would start, the power windows were screwed up. I got messages on the DIC to raise and lower certain windows, and the auto up and auto down quit working. It wouldn't even raise back up the 1/4 to seal after I closed the door. After about 3 days the message went away and the windows started working normally. Has anyone else had this problem with the windows?

Modern cars are too fricken complex! If a mod this minor caused all these problems, I'm scared what will happen when I get into the big stuff.
Attached Images

JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
Have had the window thing, when disconnecting the battery. Hold window button for 3 sec after window is all the way down, put window up and hold another 3 seconds. All good.

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. Forgeline 20" w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The window issue is to do with the disconnecting of the battery, nothing to do with the thief deterent system. There is a section in your owners manual to reset the windows.
No biggie, glad you found the issue.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Ok, good to know what caused it. I guess if all else fails read the manual.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
This is of topic, but how do you like your gray leather seats and gray carpet? The only thing stopping me from getting the 2LT/RS that I want is the gray leather and carpet, for fear that gray will show more "dirt" than black carpets. Plus I think the black carpet looks nicer, so I just want to know your opinion on them.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
This is too funny. I disconnected the battery to do my engine bay LED's a few weeks ago...After that I kept getting this stupid window message. I was like WTF is this about, the car is only 2 months old.

It went away or I actually followed the warning instructions , not sure which....
And now I know why

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I had the service theft deterrent system message with the same problems. Take it to the dealer, they'll reset everything, and make sure you bring both of your keys because they will be reprogrammed. I haven't had it happen again.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
This is of topic, but how do you like your gray leather seats and gray carpet? The only thing stopping me from getting the 2LT/RS that I want is the gray leather and carpet, for fear that gray will show more "dirt" than black carpets. Plus I think the black carpet looks nicer, so I just want to know your opinion on them.
The grey mats require a lot of cleaning. Most people have replaced them with black aftermarket. I love the grey leather especially in the hot summer !