Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #85
Palutz59
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1LE soon
Quick question Jim should I forget about ordering the NPP exhaust for the 1LE Camaro if I'm planning on getting the Borla ATAK CatBack system? I don't see any dual tips for this system so I'm thinking that I should just get the normal exhaust that has the single exhaust tips. Is this correct?
Palutz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #86
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz59 View Post
Quick question Jim should I forget about ordering the NPP exhaust for the 1LE Camaro if I'm planning on getting the Borla ATAK CatBack system? I don't see any dual tips for this system so I'm thinking that I should just get the normal exhaust that has the single exhaust tips. Is this correct?
If you're going to change out the exhaust anyway, it'd probably be smart not to pay for the NPP exhaust to begin with. As for the Borlas, you're right that they all have one tip per side.

Thanks,
Dave
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 AM   #87
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
catback or axle back

I’ve been on the fence for a borla cat-back or axle back. I have a 2013 SS L99 with AFM. I don’t plan on headers.
I will be ordering the rangev8 soon to turn off AFM. My question is; are the cat-backs much louder than axle backs? I don’t want anything too loud to the point where I can’t carry a decent conversation in the cabin. Are the atak models really loud compared to the s-type, in terms of cabin noise and outside noise? Any input southercarparts and or members?
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #88
TN REBEL SOUL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
That's exactly the set-up I have on my 2013 2SS/RS L99 - Borlas S-Type catbacks with Range. They are definitely louder than axle backs; but not too loud; deep, throaty sound with little drone IMO. Not as loud or raspy as the ATAK.
TN REBEL SOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #89
Mando2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN REBEL SOUL View Post
That's exactly the set-up I have on my 2013 2SS/RS L99 - Borlas S-Type catbacks with Range. They are definitely louder than axle backs; but not too loud; deep, throaty sound with little drone IMO. Not as loud or raspy as the ATAK.
Thanks for the input. Is exhaust really annoying without range?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #90
neomorphin

Drives: 2013 Blu-Ray Metallic 2SS/RS
ATAK

Get the Atak catback. You won't be dissapointed. It's not over the top. Everyone who has heard mine loves it. I have ATAK catback systems on my Corvette, my gmc sierra, and my SS. Wouldn't go with any other system. The catback system is definately louder than just the axle back.
neomorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #91
Mando2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomorphin View Post
Get the Atak catback. You won't be dissapointed. It's not over the top. Everyone who has heard mine loves it. I have ATAK catback systems on my Corvette, my gmc sierra, and my SS. Wouldn't go with any other system. The catback system is definately louder than just the axle back.
Thanks for you advice. I'll seriously consider it.
Have u noticed any drone in cabin?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #92
neomorphin

Only a little not very noticeable at all. I do have a diablo tune on it though so no afm. I started with the axle back on the camaro and decide to contact borla and get the xpipe for it and it was a huge difference. I also added the npp diffuser and quad tips. Very happy with how it came out. Lt headers and hi-flow cats are next on the list at some point.

Last edited by neomorphin; 05-04-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: intune
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #93
Mando2776

Quote:
Only a little not very noticeable at all. I do have a diablo tune on it though so no afm. I started with the axle back on the camaro and decide to contact borla and get the xpipe for it and it was a huge difference. I also added the npp diffuser and quad tips. Very happy with how it came out. Lt headers and hi-flow cats are next on the list at some point.
That's nice. I'm sure it sounds great already. I want to keep my power train warranty. I will be using the rangev8 to delete afm. I do like the look on the quad tips. For a catback install, do u know how much I would expect to pay a shop? I don't want to overpay. My guess would be $60-75. Range.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #94
neomorphin

I paid around $50 plus the tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #95
Mando2776

Quote:
I paid around $50 plus the tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #96
Mando2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

There are several flavors for the Camaro now.....
In the ATAK Series you have the
Camaro ATAK CatBack Exhaust System

Camaro Axleback ATAK Exhaust
Camaro ATAK Catback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package
Camaro ATAK Axleback Exhaust for Camaros with Ground Effects Package

Then you have the Borla Camaro Catback Touring System (which does not sound much different than stock. For the person who wants the increased performance with no additional change in exhaust note)

and then in the Borla Sport lineup (which is my favorite)...
Camaro Borla Sport Catback
Camaro Borla Sport Axleback Exhaust

and the only 3" Borla system (OEM system and the other above systems are 2.5")
Borla 3" Camaro Sport Catback Exhaust If you get the 3" system, you will also want to get a new Camaro Billet Tunnel Brace as the 3" system will most likely touch your OEM tunnel Plate and rattle, which will drive you nuts!!!

Some thoughts before purchasing any of them.....

All of the Axle back systems require cutting the OEM system (which i am not a fan of, just in case you ever want to go back to stock). There is also one more "dirty"secret about the Axelbacks which needs to be known....When you install the Axleback it leaves in place the OEM Pre Muffler that is up towards the middle of the car. Not a big deal, but it DOES change the exhaust note slightly as compared to the Catback systems and does not make the L99 system a true dual exhaust as the Catback does.

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Dave
So the xpipe makes a better sound than just axle backs on the l99?
I was thinking of getting a full catback. But wanted to keep stock resonator in case I Remove rangev8 device and afm kicks in. I'm thinking the resonator will help dampen the sound of afm. Not that I plan to remove range device, unless I drive highway for a few hrs. If doing a catback with borla stype and afm does kick in, will it be really annoying in terms of sound? I've read on here that is pretty annoying and dreadful. I don't wanna tune out afm, since I want to retain my power train warranty. So I believe axle backs is my best choice.
Perhaps I might consider catback later on. Or should I just do full cat now?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #97
Mando2776

Spoke to my muffler guy today and he recommended magnaflow catback, since the warranty is top notch in terms of Customer service, and great sound on catback. Anyone have experience with magnaflow?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #98
Tango_L4

Drives: 2012 SS 1998 Toyota Tacoma
I have the Borla Atak Cat-Back. It just the right amount of growl it's not annoyingly loud at low speeds but I don't have headers yet. There is a slight drone at 65-75 in 6th gear. I love it though my favorite part is slowing down at a light and it starts popping. I was lucky it was on the car when bought it last month. The youtube videos give you a good idea.