Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Can anyone make me a custom hood insert?

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could make a custom hood insert made out of a clear material, like glass or a thick plexy glass for my 2013 ZL1 convertible in place of my carbon fiber insert or as a part of the insert. I was thinking it could look like the hood insert like a corvette has. I think this would be an amazing piece to show off my engine and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one out there who would like this mod for their Camaro! Please help my with this or point me in the right direction to who can help me make this happen, thanks.

Bill
(Overpar73)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
I think that would look awesome if the right material is used, finding an individual who has mad skills with true custom craftsmanship will be the hard part. Good luck....
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse6901 View Post
I think that would look awesome if the right material is used, finding an individual who has mad skills with true custom craftsmanship will be the hard part. Good luck....
Contact to Joesph at ACS www.acscomposite.com
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
one of ACS hoods

Name:  555038_10151714888477765_1079213752_n.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  25.3 KB
Old 11-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
one of ACS hoods

Attachment 571463

+1
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing you may have to consider is if you eliminate the ZL1's hood vent but leave the pan under the front you could be causing some air flow problems including engine overheating.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
CFI

Overpar,Please tell me how you got your CFI when it did not come with your car.
I was curious as you had issues seeming that it was supposed to come with your car.
Thanks!
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
well the fact that its a convertible there is NO under pan is the one thing your forgetting. IF the hood opening is not there it should not cause any over heating issues as the whole bottom of the car is open on a vert,thats why its only rated to 153mph...I looked into why there was no under pan on my car when i wanted to run it at the texas mile..Compare the underside of a ss to a ZL1 vert.A vert ZL1 has more bracing etc & there is the part that helps direct air under the car in the front ,but not to carry air past the drive train & under the car and to the rear.Also if this is done a small opening in the hood can be left behind the clear ZR1 to let air out if it becomes a issue..The air is directed through the front,then radiator ,etc..It will hit the closed hood then exit through the underside around the engine like any other car...including the 100's with a complete ZL1 front added on for the look.I was at a party at FASTLANE in houston yesterday and there was a Camaro that fastlane had already molded a insert in,not just purchased a pre made hood and painted it..FASTLANE has already done this 3 times on a Camaro that I know of not including a bunch of vettes.I will post some pics of the underside of my ZL1 vert,and the camaro parked next to my car that had it done already...its hard to see the clear hood as my son is standing in front of it,but if you zoom in and look next to his right arm you can see the clear ZR1 type of hood..FASTLANE has also done this on a 69 vert vett they installed a complete drive train from a ZR1 in plus the interior as well. Its the under pan that traps the air inside the engine compartment,that was one of the reason for the opening in the hood,as per GM..enjoy the big grim from my son he enjoyed holding the keys to my ZL1 like he had the keys to every fast car,
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Ok I didn't know the convertible didn't have the pan. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I'm going to be giving ACS a call tomorrow and see what they can do with my current insert or what I could do with what they have. My current insert is all carbon fiber however the top is painted gray. I'm not sure how many cars can this way but I thought I was getting the ECF insert with the clear coat when I bought the car out of state. I"m getting ready to pull it off and send it to C3 in Florida to have it layered with carbon fiber on the top and make it look like the original ECF clear coated insert. They quoted me a price of $1,000. I checked on the shipping through UPS and thats going to cost me $185. What to do?

Mark,
I'm seriously looking at that clear panel from ACS and need more info on it, thanks for the call.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Let me save you a couple of dollars, Saran Wrap and Duct Tape.

I'm just kidding, yeah if you can get them to make you what you want it will look pretty cool.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
would be cool!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
I'm going to be giving ACS a call tomorrow and see what they can do with my current insert or what I could do with what they have. My current insert is all carbon fiber however the top is painted gray. I'm not sure how many cars can this way but I thought I was getting the ECF insert with the clear coat when I bought the car out of state. I"m getting ready to pull it off and send it to C3 in Florida to have it layered with carbon fiber on the top and make it look like the original ECF clear coated insert. They quoted me a price of $1,000. I checked on the shipping through UPS and thats going to cost me $185. What to do?

Mark,
I'm seriously looking at that clear panel from ACS and need more info on it, thanks for the call.
Your welcome,If there is anything you need just let me know.you have a really cool car.I am happy to be able to help you out on such a cool project,If you end up wanting something that's done custom let me know i will talk to nick..While i was at the customer party yesterday i met so many people that were fastlane customers that were willing to help me out getting around and do stuff with my car,I am really thinking about keeping it long term,and just get one of nicks custom trucks to drive daily making it easier to get around with my wheelchair.
I will look around and see what is on the market for the Zl1 hood for you..I was thinking that a clear insert could be made that would fit inside of the same bracket or studs so that if you ever sold your car the carbon insert could just be re inserted back in.If you get a chance to look ,the insert fastlane did was at the sema show...
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post

Mark,
I personally hate those windows in the hoods but everbody has different tastes. I don't lke the factory Zr1 hood.

on these new LS motors they just have a plastic engine cover and I don't want to show that off but that is me.

I would just have you carbon insert finished but that is me.

there was a calloway camaro at the auto show with a plexi window and my first though was how much better the insert in a ZL1 looks.

you can sell that insert for quite though so you could affaord any hood you like if you sold it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote