Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
sasha055

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Cab
Top is shifted a little to the right, Should I be worried?

Hi,

I am a new proud owner of 2011 2ss Convertible!

I've been reading forums here for a month or so.. and after reading all the horror stories about convertible top issues.. I decided to take a closer look at my top.

It seems that the top is shifted a little to the right. When looking at the top from the back of the car, on the right side it looks like the material is going right under the metal with almost no space between the car and the top
On the left side however I can see the rubber and some clearance between the top and the car body.

It's just a little.. half an inch .. however being a new owner I am freaked out a little

I attached pictures, should I be worried? or it's all in my head?

First picture is left side (the one with the space between the body and the top)
Second picture is right side, no space

Third picture is left side corner
Fourth picture is right side corner
Attached Images

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I would say your 5th bow may be bent a little. look at the last picture in this link. that is how it should be all the way across. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=5th+bow
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
If you trust your local dealer, I would take it in and have them look at it. In this case, better safe than sorry.
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Post a pic of how the top lines up when it is about 4-5 inches from the latch point.

What I'm looking for is how do the pins line up with the holes they are supposed to go into when latched.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
OP: I you haven't already, pls. check with your local Chevy dealer's service dept. to see if your 'vert is in the system for having had any complaints about or work done to the top. They can pull this up with your VIN.

Furthermore, if it's a 2011, it should still have bumper to bumper warranty left unless it's over the 36k miles limit(?). Definitely something to bring to your dealer's service dept. attention

Did you purchase your 'vert from a Chevy / GM dealer? Was it "certified pre-owned" If so, you're covered as CPO "should" extend the bumper to bumper which also covers the top.

From what I've gathered from our forum members, the top is only covered up to the bumper to bumper limit unless it's had "warranty" work done to it which should extend it for "x" time. Some members who've had top work done under the warranty should be able to fill you in if needed.

Don't panic. Just make sure to have it looked at as soon as you can get into your dealer.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 02-08-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
sasha055

Thanks for all the advices, I'll going to dealership tomorrow morning for an oil change and will discuss the TOP

Sasha
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
sasha055

Went to the dealership, got an oil change.

They said there is nothing wrong with the top.. I'll wait for summer..
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055 View Post

I have the exact same issue only worse. Don't let the dealers lie to you. I have a case open with chevroiet and I haven't even gone to the dealer. Chevrolet is dealing with the dealer to get me in there. It will be a long process and probably a few trips, but I have psyched myself out for it.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055 View Post

The pic you posted about how low the top sits in the back panel / well, does NOT look right. Mine certainly doesn't look like that and most here will tell you the same.

My STRONG recommendation would be to take it to another dealer for an inspection. If they tell you there's nothing wrong with it, I'd go to yet another dealer as it definitely does NOT look right. Absolutely not something I'd wait until the summer to do because once the 3/36 is up and unless it's had top work before which "should" extend the coverage for the top, you'll be paying out-of-pocket for any future repairs.

BTW, did you buy your SS new or used??? If used, you definitely want to find out WHEN it was entered into GM's system because that's when your 3/36 expires. If you have any repairs done prior to that, you'll with all likelihood be covered in the event problems continue after your 3/36 expires.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Don't wait.
I've got a case number open with Chevy, and it has been sent to the dealer before I even take it. They (the dealer) need to know that you mean business. It's your car, not theirs.
Of course they'll tell you it's fine, it's all about the money, not the customer experience.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Find a dealer with a new convertible on the lot and compare it with yours. Should be a tight even seal all the way across
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote