Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #57
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Youre Insane , seek help, ( just dont drive your car seeking it )
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #58
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Insane...no. If that floats your boat enjoy.

Just remember rain is just water just like what comes out of the hose. I personally would enjoy and drive the car. Here is my story:

I kept my SS as a garage queen for almost two years and it only had about 3000 miles on it. I hurried home at the first sign of rain. Due to a new job and location the car ended up sitting outside and became my daily driver. After the first few weeks of trying to keep it spotless I gave up. A crazy thing happened. I enjoyed the car more! Sure I cleaned and waxed it but the little things did not bother me so I found myself looking forward to driving it and not worrying about rain, bugs, rocks, etc. (heck I ran it through a car wash.... the horror ) When I sold the car for my ZL1 my SS had 12,000 miles on it. (9000 in that last year) As a 3 year old car it was way under miles. You know how much more I received for the car on trade due to the low miles? ZERO. I got a good value but not worth not driving it.

From this experience my ZL1 is driven a ton. 13K and counting. It has been rained on more times than I can count. Sure she has rock chips but a little touch up paint and it is all good. As for rain... wash off the dirt and then wax.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #59
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
No rain, I leave it sheltered, I have a truck for adverse weather.

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #60
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
It's your car so do what works for you.

But, consider this. When you are done with your car and it goes down the road will you be glad you kept it spotless all the time or regret you didn't enjoy it as much as you could have? I have a family member that treats everything like it needs to be kept pristine and perfect so the stuff sits locked away and in brand new condition. Finally it clicked that after this person leaves this world their stuff will end up in a yard sale for $0.25 and someone else will enjoy them.

Guess you can tell how I see it but ultimately you'll need to be happy. BTW, I drive my ZL1 in the snow and rain and am enjoying the crap out of owning it the last 6 months. I've also tracked it 4 times already.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #61
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Yes IMO.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #62
Nameless

Drives: :
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Insane...no. If that floats your boat enjoy.

Just remember rain is just water just like what comes out of the hose. I personally would enjoy and drive the car. Here is my story:

I kept my SS as a garage queen for almost two years and it only had about 3000 miles on it. I hurried home at the first sign of rain. Due to a new job and location the car ended up sitting outside and became my daily driver. After the first few weeks of trying to keep it spotless I gave up. A crazy thing happened. I enjoyed the car more! Sure I cleaned and waxed it but the little things did not bother me so I found myself looking forward to driving it and not worrying about rain, bugs, rocks, etc. (heck I ran it through a car wash.... the horror ) When I sold the car for my ZL1 my SS had 12,000 miles on it. (9000 in that last year) As a 3 year old car it was way under miles. You know how much more I received for the car on trade due to the low miles? ZERO. I got a good value but not worth not driving it.

From this experience my ZL1 is driven a ton. 13K and counting. It has been rained on more times than I can count. Sure she has rock chips but a little touch up paint and it is all good. As for rain... wash off the dirt and then wax.
DITTO!!

I will back up this story with a very similar one. I purchased a new 2002 SS when they came out that year and did the garage queen thing, never drive in rain, snow, only sunny days, etc. I sold it after 8 years with 13,000 some miles on it. Ya know what? I REGRETTED IT. I thought of all the wasted payments and insurance I paid out... and for what? what? I felt pretty stupid in a way.

Look, people definitely have a choice to do what they want with their cars but in my mind the only reason I could understand a garage queen is if the person was really into entering car shows and getting trophys. Something along those lines.

Today my 2012 SS is coming up on 13,000 miles after just over 2 years. Not 8. So I've improved! It's much better this way. For me, anyway.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #63
Ed Sanborn

Drives: 2013 rally yellow camaro SS/RS.
Location: Located in North Carolina, Asheville Camaro is licensed in Alaska
Will drive in the rain. Not in the winter (store it).
Just got back from my second trip in a year from Michigan to Florida and back. Bought it to drive.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #64
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
DITTO!!

...I thought of all the wasted .... insurance I paid out... and for what? what? I felt pretty stupid in a way.
Just a heads up,.. Allstate gives me great coverage,...

In 'drive' mode AND 'parked' mode.

If you are honest, you can save a ton.

Inquire about it.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote