Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I stuck mine on with about 2500 on it or less. It don't matter if you wait for break in or not. Service department told me to have the oil changed at 3000 miles and I would assume that is about the break in period. I installed mine with the idea if it breathes easier I will get better mileage. It also looks better than stock.

skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
I had a question.. My friend keeps telling me to remove the clear cover/lid and that it'll perform better. Is it true?
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #17
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Should you make one that is CARB certified I will be an immediate customer. Until then I am afraid I am going to have to wait. I drive too many miles to get a visual fail from Officer Friendly.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
sticks88

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS ,2014 Rav4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Well I tried to order a recharge kit with cc and it keeps says paypal gateway rejected due to country?

I have cc selected on the payment options....???? :/
I have the same problem with some American sites here.
sticks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
Thanks for the info. One other question. Should it be installed after a certain amount of miles? It's been 10 years since my last new vehicle so I'm unaware of any break-in period for a V6 Camaro and whether or not it's safe to install mods prior to breaking it in.
1 mile or 100k miles it will not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I installed mine with the idea if it breathes easier I will get better mileage. It also looks better than stock.

Thanks for your support, glad to hear you are happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
I had a question.. My friend keeps telling me to remove the clear cover/lid and that it'll perform better. Is it true?
No, your friend is definitely misinformed. The lid is preventing your CAI from sucking in hot air from the engine bay, and since it's a "Cold" air intake, it should be pulling in the coolest air available, after all that's why it makes power. Our CAI pulls the cooler air from outside of the vehicle, and keeps its cooler with its sealed off and insulated air box along with the thermal coated intake tube. Buying our CAI and removing the lid or glass would be defeating the whole advantage of why you purchased it, and it would no longer be doing what it was engineered to do. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincog View Post
Should you make one that is CARB certified I will be an immediate customer. Until then I am afraid I am going to have to wait. I drive too many miles to get a visual fail from Officer Friendly.
Thank you, we appreciate your interest. We have looked into getting approved and unfortunately the costs far outweigh the benefits for us. If anything changes in the future we will definitely let you know!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
It did. Thank you
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
brianjdc

Drives: 2014 2ls
I live in a snowy winter area. Is there any issues with running an intake in the winter with slush and what not?
brianjdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
Decepticon1069

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
The following are some common misconceptions that we get here on a regular basis when speaking with customers about purchasing a Cold Air Intake for their vehicle. I try not to speak on behalf of other companies products, so I will do my best to address a few common beliefs/concerns that we get and how they pertain to our products. I hope that some of you find them helpful.

Misconception #1: I heard or read somewhere that oiled air filters are bad for my engine and will cause MAF (Mass Air Flow) problems.

TRUTH: The fact is this, if the oil from an air filter gets onto your MAF sensor it can cause some inaccurate readings that will negatively affect drivability and how your engine runs. THAT BEING SAID, this is only an issueif you A: purchase an air filter that has not properly been oiled from the manufacturer <OR> B: You oil your filter yourself and over oil it and/or do not let the oil dry properly into the air filter.

If you do a quick internet search, there are numerous companies out there that have known issues with his happening, we are not one of those companies. We do all of our own Engineering, R&D, Testing, and manufacturing of our filters as opposed to buying them from one of the "big box" brand names, this allows us a much higher level of quality control to ensure each filter is perfect.

Cold Air Inductions Inc. has very high quality standards in place to prevent this type of occurrence from happening. In the 9 years we have been producing and selling Cold Air Intake systems, we have never to my knowledge had a customer get a filter that was improperly oiled to the point where the filter oil got onto the vehicles MAF. Many people are not aware of this, but we actually have a quality manager whose sole responsibility is to monitor our quality on all different levels from raw materials to finished product. Since we are in the process of getting ISO certified, quality control is especially important to us. So rest assured that when you buy a CAI Inc. system you will have no issues with our oiled air filter.

Misconception #2: I am going to lose the functionality of my windshield wiper reservoir or have to move it so I can fill it after installing a CAI.

Truth: The Cold Air Intake we have developed for this vehicle requires no further modifications or changes to your vehicle. You don't have to touch your washer bottle, and you still have complete access to it because the lid on our CAI is removable via 3 spring loaded quarter turn fasteners.

Misconception #3: A CAI will void my vehicles factory warranty; even my dealer told me that.

Truth: A CAI cannot and will not void your vehicles warranty. Under the Federal Law known as the "Magnuson-Moss Act" your vehicles warranty is protectedafter installing a product such as a CAI. That being said, a dealer does not have to warranty an aftermarket product (such as a CAI) or any damage caused by that product, but the vehicles warranty remains intact and unchanged.

Here is a good example of how it works: You buy a new Camaro with a warranty. You then install a set of aftermarket headers, which rub against some wires and melt them. Your dealer will not and does not have to warranty those wires that melted because it was caused by an aftermarket part, however the rest of your vehicles warranty remains the same, and any damage covered b that warranty is still fixed as long as it was not caused by the headers you installed. Hopefully that makes sense.

On a side note, many dealers will tell you that they will not do warranty work on your vehicle if you installed aftermarket parts. By law they can not do this, however very few consumers are going to take the time, money, and energy to bring this battle all the way to court and fight it, even though legally the dealer has no grounds. When something like this happens, many will just go to another dealer, one that is "mod friendly" and will not give you a hard time. Another option if you know your dealer is difficult to work with regarding mods, and you don't have other options, is to remove your mod or CAI before taking it in for warranty work.

Misconception #4: I need to get a "tune" or adjust my computers settings to use a Cold Air Intake.

Truth: A CAI from Cold Air Inductions Inc. does not require a tune, simply install it and you are done. Some CAI's require a tune to avoid a CEL (Check Engine Light) and to run properly for their design, OUR CAI DOES NOT.

I hope that clears up a few things for consumers searching for a CAI and doing the research. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help answer them to the best of my ability. Thanks and take care!

I'm looking at what I believe is your intake from Phastek ( http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...ir-intake2.htm ) Is this an oiled filter, or a dry filter? Also, do you have a copy of the installation instructions? And lastly, I'm up in Canada, so where can I order it and will the colder climate negatively affect the performance and compatability of the CAI with my engine?
Decepticon1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjdc View Post
I live in a snowy winter area. Is there any issues with running an intake in the winter with slush and what not?
No, we sell to much snowier climates, never had an issue. The filter is in the same location as your stock filter and completely sealed off, its nice and safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon1069 View Post
I'm looking at what I believe is your intake from Phastek ( http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...ir-intake2.htm ) Is this an oiled filter, or a dry filter? Also, do you have a copy of the installation instructions? And lastly, I'm up in Canada, so where can I order it and will the colder climate negatively affect the performance and compatability of the CAI with my engine?
Yes that is our CAI. We only use/sell oiled filters, and it comes pre-oiled from us ready to use. You can order it directly from us or from an Authorized Dealer, shipping rates may differ from company to company. The cold wont matter, whether or not you have a CAI, the outside temperature isn't going to change, your still breathing in the outside air, our CAI just reduces the amount it heats up. You're good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
great post bill
Thanks Steve!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #24
lowrider13

Drives: '13 2LT Rag-Top, '12 HD Super Glide
Ok, ignorant questions here. I am still learning about the LFX V6. I've always owned either V8's or turbo injected 4 cylinders, and have never modded anything in my life.

What are the benefits of the Vmax throttle body and the CAI? Is it that much more you feel like it's a different machine all together or is it just for a few extra thrills? How much actual torque and horsepower can I really gain out of these mods?

Also, I'm not a tech guy. I don't have a nice garage with all the tools, so I'm not as advanced like most on these forums to do the work myself. Do dealerships install aftermarket parts, or do I need to find a custom shop? Also, how much money is too much money to be spending on all of this including installation?

If I need to find a custom shop, I fear I might not mod my vehicle because I don't know who I can trust in Broward County, Fl to do a good job.
lowrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #25
lowrider13

Drives: '13 2LT Rag-Top, '12 HD Super Glide
Ok, ignorant questions here. I am still learning about the LFX V6. I've always owned either V8's or turbo injected 4 cylinders, and have never modded anything in my life.

What are the benefits of the Vmax throttle body and the CAI? Is it that much more you feel like it's a different machine all together or is it just for a few extra thrills? How much actual torque and horsepower can I really gain out of these mods?

Also, I'm not a tech guy. I don't have a nice garage with all the tools, so I'm not as advanced like most on these forums to do the work myself. Do dealerships install aftermarket parts, or do I need to find a custom shop? Also, how much money is too much money to be spending on all of this including installation?

If I need to find a custom shop, I fear I might not mod my vehicle because I don't know who I can trust in Broward County, Fl to do a good job.
lowrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #26
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider13 View Post

Well you can install a CAI at home and it will take you in total around 15 to 20 minutes. I have heard that the Throttle body is pretty good for Manual V6 when they are shifting gears and it hits a "dead spot" meaning that there is not enough power in that gear. I have a CAI and HP wise I really don't see a huge difference. But the sound of it is amazing.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
I have heard that the Throttle body is pretty good for Manual V6 when they are shifting gears and it hits a "dead spot" meaning that there is not enough power in that gear.
Truth. Also you can run a higher gear lower in the RPMs without the studdering feel I noticed.

I can cruise 5th at 40 on flat roads at like 1200 rpm without the car feeling weird.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #28
FL Chevy Guy

Drives: 2015 Carmaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider13 View Post

The vmax is suppose to give your acceleration a quicker response time. I'm in the process of trying to find a retailer that's semi-local so I can pick it up instead of buying online and dealing with core fees. Vmax motorsports is the manufacture and they are located in Tampa. I talked to them several times about purchasing from them directly even tho they arent suppose to. I called him on a day I was ready to drive down there from Osceola county and they acted like they never talked to me before. Real frustrating.

A CAI will give ur car a lil more power. Exactly how much,????? I went with a roto fab intake. Overall the car sounds more meaner but I can't say it's a real difference for me in power bc I installed it within a 1500 miles of me owning the car. I babied my car for the break in period then added parts once I got extra money. So I didn't really push the car on the total stock engine. I wud say I love the sound between the intake and exhaust upgrade and would definitely purchase it again.

Installing a intake was very simple, and the vmax tb seems to be easy as well. I did the intake myself and plan on doing tb myself once I find a retailer. I don't live too far from you and I can help you install yours if you want. Takes about an 40mins to do. I'm no where near being a mechanic so that shud tell you how easy it is.
JacFab Manifold Spacer
MRT V2 Exhaust
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
FL Chevy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote