Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #43
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Your argument is invalid.... this is NOT a federally mandated recall. GM is being proactive.
While it was a proactive recall by GM, they filed it with the federal government, so federal law applies. That is why the dealers could not deliver any new cars without the modified fob/separate key, per GM mandate.

As to current owners with the switchblade key, the recall is not mandatory. It is mandatory on all new cars sold.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
While it was a proactive recall by GM, they filed it with the federal government, so federal law applies. That is why the dealers could not deliver any new cars without the modified fob/separate key, per GM mandate.

As to current owners with the switchblade key, the recall is not mandatory. It is mandatory on all new cars sold.

.... Which is why I had no say in the matter when I just bought the car.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #45
sinisterZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
A special thank you to SinisterZL1; I put the key in a vise (again, a must have for any garage), and cut into the plastic with a metal blade.

The key came out and I was left with just the metal "key" portion.

I went to Lowes and bought super glue - the gel though. Also bought #19 nails -- these were the thinnest that would go through that hole.

I will have to cut the nail to length, then gel it into place but in the meantime, I used the super glue/gel and put the key into the fob part then used a clamp for about 30 minutes.

Complete success. I will use the nail in a day or two to give it the extra strength but for now it isn't going anywhere.

I can't thank you all and this board enough. The recall was bogus and now we can all have our keys back!!!!

Good job. Glad everything worked out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #46
shewstring

Drives: 2016 Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterZL1 View Post
Yes is started with a switch blade fob but the factory recall removes the key blade and sticks it in an rubber end key nub. I ground the nub off and installed it on the empty switchblade fob as they leave the factory hinge in place in the fob. I hate having the standard key and a fob after have the switchblade on my 2012 ss. So much nicer. I left the second set of keys alone for now.

SinisterZL1, where did you get the pin for the key? I have the blanks for reversal, but need the pin to put it back together the way it was meant to be.
shewstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #47
sinisterZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
SinisterZL1, where did you get the pin for the key? I have the blanks for reversal, but need the pin to put it back together the way it was meant to be.

I had the pin in my garage in my bolt bin and have no idea where or when I bought it. You should be able to find something that will work at a local hardware store.

sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #48
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
I bought loctite gel and attached the key to the slot. Worked fine and very secure.

Also, I bought #19 nails that I was going to cut to length and put through the hole with some of that gel on it.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #49
Just plain Bill

Drives: camaro 2ss
The pin is a 1/16" roll pin 3/8" long. Ace hardware sell them
Just plain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #50
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Camaro 2010 FOB Recall

I just received my recall yesterday,asking me to bring in my 2 FOBS,Is it compulsory to have this recall done.
If I ignore it, will it affect my insurance,and if I had a accident due to the FOB,would my insurance become void,because I never acknowledged the recall.
Also when they change the FOB ,do they just remove the blade and return the FOB attached to the new key.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #51
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
I just received my recall yesterday,asking me to bring in my 2 FOBS,Is it compulsory to have this recall done.
If I ignore it will, and something did happen and a accident happen due to the FOB,would my insurance become void,because I never acknowledged the recall.
Also when they change the FOB ,do they just remove the blade and return the FOB attached to the new key.

Thanks

Yes they will remove the blade from the fob and give you the fob back in nothing in its place.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #52
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Yes they will remove the blade from the fob and give you the fob back in nothing in its place.
You say I get the fob back ,nothing in it's place,but I would get the new key ,is that correct.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #53
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
You say I get the fob back ,nothing in it's place,but I would get the new key ,is that correct.

Yes. Google "camaro keyfob recall" you will find a picture
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #54
Hudnall78

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2lt
Just wanted to add my two cents. I just did this with my 2011 2lt. I took it in, and how it was explained was basically a faulty ignition switch. I let them do the recall (stupid me, I know) and to my surprise, my blade from the fob was gone.

I bought a Dremmel and cut off everything and not hitting the blade. I ran it outside to the car, put blade into my fob, and it fired right up. Very happy to know I have my switchblade back after an idiot move.
Hudnall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #55
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudnall78 View Post
Just wanted to add my two cents. I just did this with my 2011 2lt. I took it in, and how it was explained was basically a faulty ignition switch. I let them do the recall (stupid me, I know) and to my surprise, my blade from the fob was gone.

I bought a Dremmel and cut off everything and not hitting the blade. I ran it outside to the car, put blade into my fob, and it fired right up. Very happy to know I have my switchblade back after an idiot move.
Your dealer is wrong. Recall was NOT for a faulty ignition switch on the Camaro. It was for the possibility that your knee could hit the keyfob while the car is running and possibly turning off the ignition while the the car as in motion.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #56
SSC378

Drives: 2010 SS, 70 Z28
For what it's worth, I bought a new fob with the key blank in it the other day because buttons on old fob were worn out. Took it to local locksmith. He cut it right there for 25$ good to go.
SSC378 is offline   Reply With Quote