Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Byrdee-D

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Zl1 vs SS supercharged

So I'm looking to get a 2012 Zl1 with <8,000 miles or supercharge my 2011 SS with the L99. My question is what are main differences between the Zl1 and SS other than the super charger? If I run with my SS I'm assuming I'll have to go through the rear end and beef up a lot of components to safely do 600+ rwhp. Are all the components in he Zl1 ready for higher horsepowers as it comes? Looking to go no higher than 700rwhp in the end. Thanks guys
Byrdee-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
The ZL1 is light years ahead of the SS....way more than the factory S/C.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Try searching the forums a bit to find your answers.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
The biggest advantage that the ZL1 has on the SS is Handling, exceptional performance on road courses....me myself have a modified SS and straight line i could blow a ZL1 off the Hwy. So it all depends on what you wanna do with it.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
The biggest advantage that the ZL1 has on the SS is Handling, exceptional performance on road courses....me myself have a modified SS and straight line i could blow a ZL1 off the Hwy. So it all depends on what you wanna do with it.
Agreed

Remember the SS was not designed for FI where the ZL1 was. You can certainly get an SS to handle/perform like or better than a ZL1 but you better have a big wallet.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
ZL1 Rear end assembly is stronger than any SS.
ZL1 suspension has mag dampers and is selectable for the occasion (not convertibles)
ZL1 has heavier front brakes if you plan to enjoy road course drives.
ZL1 may still have some warranty left.
L99 FI will need a cam to get you comfortably into 600 at the wheels.
L99 FI will need lifters even if you dont cam.
L99 FI will need a tune.
L99 FI will need fuel pump or boost a pump.
L99 FI will need a transmission if you really get to 700rwhp
L99 Fi will need a 9 inch conversion unless you're comfortable with replacing axles an ring gears regularly.
Somebody stop me!
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Byrdee-D

Thanks guys. This info is very helpful, I really want to go the ss route but I'm in the navy and large project work on the car is not going to be as conducive to my schedule as I would like. I believe I'm going to go the Zl1 route in about a year. I have a buyer lined up for my ss in a year after their car is paid off. So that'll be a nice large payment down on a used Zl1. And from what I have researched myself it seems the Zl1 is built with some room to handle a bit more before safety of the car becomes an issue, is that correct?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdee-D View Post
Thanks guys. This info is very helpful, I really want to go the ss route but I'm in the navy and large project work on the car is not going to be as conducive to my schedule as I would like. I believe I'm going to go the Zl1 route in about a year. I have a buyer lined up for my ss in a year after their car is paid off. So that'll be a nice large payment down on a used Zl1. And from what I have researched myself it seems the Zl1 is built with some room to handle a bit more before safety of the car becomes an issue, is that correct?
If you want to know what can be done with a ZL1 find the threads in the ZL1 section that jessrayo has posted in or go to his profile page and find them. I think the only thing still stock on his is the body. Here's a thread of the latest
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375697

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
If your SS is stock it is less expensive to start with a ZL1. However, while mods may run more if you SS is paid off you can add them as you save cash and still have no car payments.

On the ZL1 unless you are saving a bundle on the used ZL1 you may want to think new 2013 and find one at a discount.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah, with a ZL1 all you would have to do is like intake, pulley down on the S/C, and tune and you're where you want to be.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Yeah, with a ZL1 all you would have to do is like intake, pulley down on the S/C, and tune and you're where you want to be.
To hit 600 maybe but he said end up around 700whp. That my friend is still gonna need a deep wallet.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
BGKBCK

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdee-D View Post
Thanks for your service! Glad my 20 is in the rear view!

The ZL1 is a better platform to start with IMO and a little more exclusive. I went from an 11 SS and was thinking just like you. Should I build the SS or go the ZL1 route? Too much money, too much time/hassle, no warranty etc, so I just bought a ZL1 and called it a day.

Modded a few cars in my day and was just dreading the whole car in the shop for weeks on end getting work done and going back to fix little things here and there. Been there, done that, over it. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If handling and ride are not a concern then stick with the SS for 600RWHP. The stock engine, Trans and rear end can all survive just fine at 600RWHP so long as your tune and fueling components are excellent. Now with 700RWHP your going to have to rebuild the engine, trans and rear end eventually so at that power level it may or may not be cheaper to start with a ZL1. With the right setup and conditions 600RWHP is mid 10's territory in a L99 SS. 700RWHP is high 9's. How fast are you wanting to go?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
If handling and ride are not a concern then stick with the SS for 600RWHP. The stock engine, Trans and rear end can all survive just fine at 600RWHP so long as your tune and fueling components are excellent. Now with 700RWHP your going to have to rebuild the engine, trans and rear end eventually so at that power level it may or may not be cheaper to start with a ZL1. With the PERFECT setup and PERFECT conditions 600RWHP is mid 10's territory in a L99 SS. 700RWHP is high 9's. How fast are you wanting to go?
edit ^^

+1
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Byrdee-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKBCK View Post
Thanks for your service! Glad my 20 is in the rear view!

The ZL1 is a better platform to start with IMO and a little more exclusive. I went from an 11 SS and was thinking just like you. Should I build the SS or go the ZL1 route? Too much money, too much time/hassle, no warranty etc, so I just bought a ZL1 and called it a day.

Modded a few cars in my day and was just dreading the whole car in the shop for weeks on end getting work done and going back to fix little things here and there. Been there, done that, over it. Good luck with whatever you decide
Thanks man I'm glad I'm not the only one that has came across this dilemma. I'm in the navy so time is also something I don't have much of. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the zl1 route in about a year when I get a fat stack of cash saved up to at least pay half up front. I really appreciate all of the input guys. This forum is very helpful and all the members seem great