Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Cammed and Tuned by TampaTuning

Recently did my cam swap on my own. Phil was nice enough to meet me up at my job the next day and do a street tune just so I could drive the car around smoothly and safely (he was golfing in the area...that wasnt a guarantee he can meet everyone all the time haha).

The next day he went with me to the drag strip for the Modern Muscle Shootout and did some more tuning while there between runs.

Couple days later he made sure the car was all the way dialed in perfect on the dyno. Beyond the amazing tuning abilities...Phil is the most reliable and stand up guy there is.
-------
I also had a buddy with his Corvette C6 who had a diablo tuner and cat back on it. He ended up taking his car to Phil the same day I did and ended up getting it dialed in perfectly. He called me right after to let me know the the car felt so much better instantly and was completely shocked at just how much of a difference it was having Phil fine tune the car over his handheld. He had a complete trans and engine tune done and loves his car even more now.

Phil is the best!
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
and what did your car run at the drag strip?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94guy View Post
and what did your car run at the drag strip?
Nothing great yet. Ran a 12.3 @115.61 with a crappy 60' (2.085) By the time I got a good launch and decent 60' (1.824)...my throttle body sensor started crapping out and shut the car down. 1st time was at the 1000' and I'm pretty sure I was on track for an 11.9 run being that the car I ran against ran an 11.8 and was 1 length ahead. 2nd time it did it was going into 3rd and I had to coast down. 3rd time was immediately shifting to 2nd.

Phil was able to loan me a TB when we got back up to Tampa (another testimate to how awesome he is!), gotta find another one soon and give this one back. Will be going back soon to find out. I'd like to be 11.8's 11.9's consistently. My previous PB was 12.421 with my bolt ons. I really dont know what a good time should be with my setup now...as long as I'm not in the 12's anymore, I will be satisfied at least for a little.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
I'll guess it's the tune that is shutting your car down......not a throttle body sensor
I bet changing the part won't fix it. Adjusting the tune will.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Congrats, I know other folks who have used Phil and had really good experiences.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Recently did my cam swap on my own. Phil was nice enough to meet me up at my job the next day and do a street tune just so I could drive the car around smoothly and safely (he was golfing in the area...that wasnt a guarantee he can meet everyone all the time haha).

The next day he went with me to the drag strip for the Modern Muscle Shootout and did some more tuning while there between runs.

Couple days later he made sure the car was all the way dialed in perfect on the dyno. Beyond the amazing tuning abilities...Phil is the most reliable and stand up guy there is.
-------
I also had a buddy with his Corvette C6 who had a diablo tuner and cat back on it. He ended up taking his car to Phil the same day I did and ended up getting it dialed in perfectly. He called me right after to let me know the the car felt so much better instantly and was completely shocked at just how much of a difference it was having Phil fine tune the car over his handheld. He had a complete trans and engine tune done and loves his car even more now.

Phil is the best!
This Camaro is a Animal now. Just a little story. Ytown was installing a cam, and asked me if I could stop by to load a start up tune so the car would not stall. The stars aliened that I was able to at the end of day after playing golf. But guys that know me, know I just cant stop with a upload. Ytown did a little driving around his parking lot building, so I adjusted his Fuel trims, Idle, Wanting to stall, and we had two shot at little WOT in 3rd gear. I did enough to make the car run good and not die out, but no wear did I add enough to make it powerful. At the end he asked me how much he owed me, and I said nothing, Im not done. I just want you do have a good car to drive to the track.

The next day, 6 or 7 guys from the Tampa Tuning race team were at Bradenton track, YTOWN gets in one clean run and I have more data collection from my scanner than from a parking lot. So I make some calibration correction, then the car dies and the code is for the hand ported throttle body. I clear it, Ytown get a good dig, but dies again with the throttle body code. So I tell him follow me home, I have 15 LS3 cores there, Ill give you a stock core just to make sure that was the problem before his scheduled dyno tuning on Monday. As soon as I plug in the new throttle body, the check engine light went off and never came back.

Then two days later, I got him on the dyno. I know my baseline calibration was good, but I didn't make it to potential. I just wanted to car to be drive able for the weekend so I could get it on the dyno Monday. Adding to stock throttle body back on fixed the codes the was pushing him into reduced power.

The start up calibration dyno run pulled 475RWHP with a blip of 492 RWHP. The 475 RWHP would have been great for most guys, but I want to spend a couple hours calibrating it on the dyno fixing some surging, the idle RPMs, hanging idle, fueling, and main spark timing.

End results from bolt on, intake, a cam equaled 506 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
I'll guess it's the tune that is shutting your car down......not a throttle body sensor
I bet changing the part won't fix it. Adjusting the tune will.
You are not correct. It was the throttle body moving out of its range by 4% and that was putting the car in reduced power mode. After replacing the hand ported unit with a stock throttle body, the problem never returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Congrats, I know other folks who have used Phil and had really good experiences.
Thanks John, you've know me over many years on many different forums, and the comments about Tampa Tuning stay consistent ........and that's not from censorship lol

Phil

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 01-24-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote